Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm using Delicate for...
09-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm using Delicate for...
I'm starting this thread to see what others are doing with Delicate and which programs they're using. Maybe we can pick up some ideas from eachother Smile
I'll kick off.

Lynx/snownews: This combi works like a charm for textbrowsing the web.
Snownews pickup the RSS feed and Lynx will do the rest.

Midnight Commander: My favourite file manager.

CenterIM: CLI based Messenger (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC,Jabber, etc) I use it mainly for MSN, but it supports Jabber so I *think* it could be used for facebook-chat too.
It's fast! I'll publish the PKGBUILD soon in another thread.

NetSurf: When I need some graphics while browsing the web. Twitter for example.
(The normal twitter site is not working, I'm using http://mobile.twitter.com)

SkipStone: In case of downloading from the web or copy and paste sessions.

Abiword and Gnumeric: For small office things. I don't need OOo or LO.

MTPaint: Mainly for converting pictures.

pdftotext: PDF files are slow too load (when they're big) at this machine. So I liked them stripped down to a simple textfile, so I can read them just with Midnight Commander or whatever.

Leafpad: a simple editor ideal for cut and paste things.

And ofcourse syasokoban and lbreakout2 for wasting some time Smile

Who's next?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
RE: I'm using Delicate for...
This is a very interresting phenomenon ... Right now 535.10GB has been downloaded from the DeLi(cate) pages, but almost nobody is registered in this forum :] I don't know how to understand that ..... Does it mean, that people are happy with the stuff and don't need any help? ..... or ..... does it mean that they just wanted to test it and do not like it?
I'm unsure if anyone's gonna answer Your message....

This makes me a bit sad ... having invisible users makes me feel like I'm alone in the deep space and doing something for nobody .... That's why I'm really happy, that You joined recently :] Maybe it needs more time and at least first working release in form of CD image .... we'll see ...
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
I *think* that a cd-image can help, at least to get it on the distrowatch page. In the Dutch Ubuntu forum I've recommended Delicate for older computers. Once in a while they're asking for a distro for older computers.

I know that there are not much registered users, but by posting topics maybe others find something with Google. Wink
But I hope that in the near future this topic can be usefull for other users and ofcourse for you. It's always nice to know what and why they're using Delicate.

At the end of this week or in the beginning of next week I'll put Delicate on another computer. I've got several candidates to choose out. I'm a bit curious how it works on a P3 with 512mb for example Smile If it works well, I can use it for compiling stuff etc.
09-08-2011, 10:21 AM
(09-07-2011 08:03 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I'm a bit curious how it works on a P3 with 512mb for example Smile If it works well, I can use it for compiling stuff etc.

P3 should be ok ... but compiling is always better in Deli(cate) installed in VirtualBox on modern computers :]
09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
I know, and I have it on a virtual box on a faster machine. But I like to test it on another real (and faster) machine, well it's a hobby :] The old laptop is running fine with Delicate, but compiling takes hours. But I'm not complaining, at least I can compile on it :]
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
(09-08-2011 03:07 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I know, and I have it on a virtual box on a faster machine. But I like to test it on another real (and faster) machine, well it's a hobby :] The old laptop is running fine with Delicate, but compiling takes hours. But I'm not complaining, at least I can compile on it :]

Hobbyists are always welcome :]
It's like taking care about veteran cars Smile
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
(09-07-2011 05:20 PM)tavvva Wrote:  This makes me a bit sad ... having invisible users makes me feel like I'm alone in the deep space and doing something for nobody ....

I've got an idea, and don't know if it is a good one.
I was thinking of making a 'promotion site' in the Dutch language, with information and screenshots. The Netherlands is not a big country, but the language is spoken in other countries too (Belgium, Suriname and other former colonies). Even Afrikaans (spoken in South Africa and Namibia) is approx 90% the same as Dutch. A strong point of Delicate is that it is an 'alive' project for older machines, and it's not an 'English-only' distro. It's not that people can't live with 'English-only' distro's, but it is a nice feature that Abiword or Gnumeric can speak your native language.

Just a thought... :]

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
09-13-2011, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 07:31 PM by tavvva.)
Well ... I didn't care much about the DeLi(cate) propagation in the past, but this is also in my TODO :] I wanted to wait until the first CD release, but I don't see it as a problem if we start a bit sooner :]

At the moment we have only english threads in the forum. I could create discussions in other languages if I find at least one reliable moderator for them :]