Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
skipstone 1.0.0
12-28-2011, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 02:17 PM by tavvva.)
RE: skipstone 1.0.0
(12-26-2011 07:27 PM)delix Wrote:  It is not only a matter of performance but also of security. Therefore I prefer a browser with activ development or backporting. And shipstone has the "doubled cache" problem if tavvva didn't fix that (don't know, but I think it is unlikely) Big Grin

I had a talk with Maher Awamy (the Skipstone developer), who just confirmed, that Skipstone is just a frontent for GtkEmbedMoz and WebKit engine, therefore all problems with security and caches have nothing to do with the Skipstone itself ... so ... if You experience any problems with Skipstone, then we should rather look at the underlying components ...
Skipstone itself doesn't need any updates if everybody is happy with the frontend behaviour.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:We could eventually try to configure xxxterm or alter it's sources to download everything in the Downloads directory.
I could possibly patch it to open a Save dialog box too ...
The target folder for the Downloads is specified by the users in the .xxxterm.conf file.

And for the skipstone bugs : I never was able to clean the history and caches as suggested (i.e. with the built-in commands) but must do manually. The reason was, that there are two subfolders for the caches, the history and so on. The one is cleared by the internal commands and the other one is the writing target of the history ... Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Is xxxterm using webkit? If that's the case (and if it's gonna be build?), then it's easy to try other programs too, like Midori or Surf (from suckless). Surf is pretty small (almost 10k source code).

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
12-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Don't know if it useful information, but who knows....
With webkit 1.2 or higher I have 'glib' issues (needs a newer version).
Version 1.1 doesn't seem to have that problem, only something with icu (config) but I assume that could be fixed.
The maintainers from webkit doesn't have that package on their site (only the latest), but our friends at Fedora do :]
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/pkgs/...68fae49a1/

12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
(12-30-2011 02:12 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  With webkit 1.2 or higher I have 'glib' issues (needs a newer version).
The maintainers from webkit doesn't have that package on their site (only the latest), but our friends at Fedora do :]

I cloned the webkitgtk source repository from Fedora-rawhide and the spec file contains glib patches :] It seems that my colleagues had glib issues too Smile I'd like You to know, that similar problems need to be solved in progressive distros too, even if the package base is recent.
12-31-2011, 09:58 AM
(12-30-2011 09:20 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I cloned the webkitgtk source repository from Fedora-rawhide and the spec file contains glib patches :] It seems that my colleagues had glib issues too Smile I'd like You to know, that similar problems need to be solved in progressive distros too, even if the package base is recent.

That's good news :]
I look at the repositories from other distros too. It can be very handy, not only for patches but sometimes it gives a guick look of what the dependencies are (like debian/ubuntu) so I can compare them with the PKGBUILD files from Arch/AUR. Some of them are using dependencies that Delicate standard has, so making other dependencies isn't always needed. Another thing is that some 'Install' notes doesn't contain information about the dependencies. Some things would never changed, and it's a fact that quiet al lot of programmers can write fluent C, but Enlish..... :]

I know that even the progressive distros have sometimes issues (5 minutes in the Arch repo, and you'll see a lot of patches too). So, I'm not too worried about it :]