Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
skipstone 1.0.0
08-20-2011, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2011 09:58 PM by tavvva.)
Star skipstone 1.0.0
Skipstone is based on GTK+ and Gecko (used for rendering by Firefox). It's fast and light.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2011, 05:33 PM
RE: skipstone 1.0.0
As skipstone never was maintained in any way and is "pretty old", I'm planning to build a package of a more recent browser.
I had icecat-2.0.0.11 running on DeLi, so this would be an option.

Other ones :
-- Seamonkey 1.11/1.13/ or one of the 2.x branches
-- Iceape (Debians seamonkey clone)
-- xxxterm
-- Midori 2.x

Any other suggestions or comments ?
At the moment my tendency goes towards "Seamonkey" or the Debian clone Iceape
Find all posts by this user
12-26-2011, 06:36 PM
(12-26-2011 05:33 PM)delix Wrote:  I had icecat-2.0.0.11 running on DeLi, so this would be an option.

Other ones :
-- Seamonkey 1.11/1.13/ or one of the 2.x branches
-- Iceape (Debians seamonkey clone)
-- xxxterm
-- Midori 2.x

Any other suggestions or comments ?
At the moment my tendency goes towards "Seamonkey" or the Debian clone Iceape

That sounds good, I've been looking for others too... but it's hard too find a good and light one.
I've got icecat 2.x and firefox 1.5 on my system but it's no improvement compared to skipstone.
It crashes with the libflashplayer plugin, entering youtube.com is enough Smile

xxxterm is mainly keyboard I believe ( I never test it).

Midori seems pretty light, but I doubt it's gonna be stable.A good thing is that it supports HTML5, but there are a lot of bad things too. Some things needs workarounds.
* missing icons (solution: install tango-icons).
* crashes (solution: glib update)
And other issues about flash, java etc...

Seamonkey/Iceape are both great browsers, an I think a safer choice than Midori.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
12-26-2011, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 07:42 PM by delix.)
It is not only a matter of performance but also of security. Therefore I prefer a browser with activ development or backporting. And shipstone has the "doubled cache" problem if tavvva didn't fix that (don't know, but I think it is unlikely) Big Grin

I'm using xxxterm on ConnochaetOS as the default browser and it is really stable and safe.

Hope to see more comments before I start with any effort

Btw : it is not only a matter of the browser itself but also of the version (does Iceape 2.x run with uclibc ?)
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
(12-26-2011 07:27 PM)delix Wrote:  It is not only a matter of performance but also of security. Therefore I prefer a browser with activ development or backporting. And shipstone has the "doubled cache" problem if tavvva didn't fix that (don't know, but I think it is unlikely) Big Grin
I can go with that :]

Quote:I'm using xxxterm on ConnochaetOS as the default browser and it is really stable and safe.

Hope to see more comments before I start with any effort

Btw : it is not only a matter of the browser itself but also of the version (does Iceape 2.x run with uclibc ?)

I've downloaded Iceape 2.0.11 and with ./configure nothing seems to be a problem until the following message appears on the screen: 'configure: error: --enable-application=APP was not specified and is required'. But I assume that that is something that has nothing to do with GCC or Uclibc.

12-27-2011, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 10:11 AM by tavvva.)
Well ... skipstone is maybe not maintained and it's old, but I consider it a very good and fast browser. I use iceape on faster workstations and it doesn't seem to be fast and light enough. xxxterm could work well, but I somehow don't like it. It saves everything automatically in the home directory. Anyway, I'd like to offer people a possibility to choose what they want.
I believe, that all software can be build with uclibc ... it would need just some patching.
12-27-2011, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 10:11 AM by tavvva.)
(12-27-2011 10:03 AM)tavvva Wrote:  Well ... skipstone is maybe not maintained and it's old, but I consider it a very good and fast browser. I use iceape on faster workstations and it doesn't seem to be fast and light enough.

Well after untarring the Iceape sourcecode I can imagine why. A massive 309mb of ehh... monkey business Tongue But okay, it's offering a whole suite... so I guess it can be stripped down or something.

tavvva Wrote:xxxterm could work well, but I somehow don't like it. It saves everything automatically in the home directory.

Well that's not exactly nice, but I can live with that. After downloading I can put it in whatever I want.

Quote:Anyway, I'd like to offer people a possibility to choose what they want.
I believe, that all software can be build with uclibc ... it would need just some patching.

I don't know if I'm lucky but I don't have many issues with uclibc, but I'm not busy with complex things that might be the reason why.
About the browsers, I have a few browsers installed on my Delicate machine. Perhaps an idea to publish them in order and the reason why.

(1) Skipstone: easy to use, stable and don't have HTML issues, in other words it don't make a mess of my screen.
(2) Links for pages who are large and causes 'script is not responding' issues (like box-look.org)
(3) Lynx, works with snownews (RSS) just a great combi for reading the latest news.
(4) Icecat 2.0 only for multiple downloads (it goes faster than Skipstone),
(5) Netsurf is good but I use it mostly on my laptop (low memory).
(6) Firefox 1.5 works, but not stable enough
(7) Dillo didn't open any url, so it's pretty useless on my machine.

12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
I'l try iceape-2.0.x at first, then xxxterm.

For Iceape I'll disable the things not needed on pure "info websites" -- that means no flash, no directly printing and so on. In the end it should have the same features as Skipstone or xxxterm, but with the option to use the security updates from Seamonkey/Iceape .

Well, as I'm not a programmer, cross your fingers Big Grin
12-28-2011, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 11:30 AM by tavvva.)
(12-27-2011 11:46 AM)delix Wrote:  I'l try iceape-2.0.x at first, then xxxterm.

I'm using Iceape 2.6.x and it's pretty unstable ... it gets frozen even on the google page... so ... let's test the 2.0.x branch.

We could eventually try to configure xxxterm or alter it's sources to download everything in the Downloads directory.
I could possibly patch it to open a Save dialog box too ...
12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
(12-27-2011 11:46 AM)delix Wrote:  I'm using Iceape 2.6.x and it's pretty unstable ... it gets frozen even on the google page... so ... let's test the 2.0.x branch.

We could eventually try to configure xxxterm or alter it's sources to download everything in the Downloads directory.
I could possibly patch it to open a Save dialog box too ...

Seems to me as a good idea!