Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
07-31-2011, 04:44 AM
RE: Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
Never mind, I will recycle those dead HDs. I am a person who treasures antuiquities. As long as they are functionable, I still use them. Just like this 233MHZ, 128MB old box that I am typing now, it functions very well, and I am happy.

I need some detailed PKGBUILD writing guideline. Where can I find them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
(07-31-2011 04:44 AM)widi Wrote:  Never mind, I will recycle those dead HDs. I am a person who treasures antuiquities. As long as they are functionable, I still use them. Just like this 233MHZ, 128MB old box that I am typing now, it functions very well, and I am happy.

Recycling is important !
As well as reusing things which can be reused.
I'm not a big fun of consumerism.

(07-31-2011 04:44 AM)widi Wrote:  I need some detailed PKGBUILD writing guideline. Where can I find them?

This is not a detailed guideline, but it could help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

There are some example files (at the bottom).

Just a note .... DeLi(cate) still uses an older version
of pacman and thus some features are not available
(for example the package section) and install scripts
have to contain an "op" hack at the bottom, otherwise
they won't work. I'm really thinking about switching
to a newer version, since the current one has issues
with provides/replaces/conflicts handling.
But as this is quite major change, it needs to be well
prepared and tested.
We could also jump to a newer version, but not the latest one.
I'll try to decide that soon.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2011, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2011 02:57 PM by widi.)
since today is sunday, I finally have one day off. This afternoon I accientally found out there is a weird term "bitlbee" in /etc. I don't know what it is, so I check out webpages, and suddenly I found out this is really a good solution for everyone to login msn/yahoo/icq/googletalk/aim....etc.

Since Deli already has xchat compiled, then I simply login to a bitlbee public server, and setup an bitlbee account, then using this account to sign on all my messengers, whilst this old box still functions smoothly 'cuz I am using xmms2 to listen medieval music.

Have you every tried this extremely lightweight method to send instant messges to your friends?

It's 'til today, I finally try to learn how to use xmms2 to listen music. Previously I don't even want to use it, because I got used to xmms. All I need is click xmms, and it pop-up me a GUI, and I can use it similar to winamp. However, when xmms2 released, I still refuse to learn it, because I failed several times.

Today I decided to learn xmms2 seriously. It doesn't cost me a lot of time, one hour maybe. I merely testing it by adding an online radio streaming URL, and then I type xmms2 play, it immediately plays SMOOTHLY.......Notice, i am using old pc, even when I open skipstone browser, XMMS2 stream still play consistently and smoothly without being interrupted....How lovely this small command line player is !!

I still can't figure out how to install a console ncursed GUI to add more songs and manage those songs, but up to now listen online is good enough.
07-31-2011, 03:52 PM
(07-31-2011 02:02 PM)widi Wrote:  Have you every tried this extremely lightweight method to send instant messges to your friends?

I know about that, but haven't tried yet.

(07-31-2011 02:02 PM)widi Wrote:  It's 'til today, I finally try to learn how to use xmms2 to listen music. Previously I don't even want to use it, because I got used to xmms. All I need is click xmms, and it pop-up me a GUI, and I can use it similar to winamp. However, when xmms2 released, I still refuse to learn it, because I failed several times.

Today I decided to learn xmms2 seriously. It doesn't cost me a lot of time, one hour maybe. I merely testing it by adding an online radio streaming URL, and then I type xmms2 play, it immediately plays SMOOTHLY.......Notice, i am using old pc, even when I open skipstone browser, XMMS2 stream still play consistently and smoothly without being interrupted....How lovely this small command line player is !!

I still can't figure out how to install a console ncursed GUI to add more songs and manage those songs, but up to now listen online is good enough.

I use xmms, because I like the GUI ... It looks better than Audacious and it's 10x faster ...
If You want a ncurses based TUI, just pick one and tell me ... I can try to build it for You ....
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Do You know SCIM ?

http://www.scim-im.org/

That should be another input method ... my colleague says it's the most widely used input method.
08-01-2011, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 03:04 PM by widi.)
I know that one. It was developed by chinese, not taiwanese.

SCIM claims it has a "adaptive/intellectual" way to move frequent-used (same pronounciation, same tone) mandarin character candidates to 1st or 2nd position instead of 20th for you to select. Superficially this is a good idea, at least for computer novice who knows little about input methods. However, for users like me, it is a nightmare.

I use the most widely used input method (phone(tic)/zhuyin). If you want to type very fast using this input method, the pre-requisite is : when you type a pronounciation and a tone, and it pop-up result candidates for you to choose, the order for those words MUST NOT be changed. Because my fingers know the number keys of a specific character candidate. Once you change the result order using so called "adaptive/intellectual" way, my finger simply choose wrong characters. Especially when I type very fast just like talking, I don't really have time to see which character use which number key. I only count on my finger's habbit and feel.

Even if I intentionally DISABLE the adaptive/intellectual method to choose result character candidates, the order is still wrong, they simply put a specific character candidate to a wrong number. This is understandable, because Taiwan and China use totally different written language, typing method.

1. Taiwan use Traditional mandarin written language, China use simplified mandarin written language.
2. Taiwan use [bo po mo fo/ㄅㄆㄇㄈ] to teach children how to pronounce, China use [roman alphabet/bpmf] to teach children how to pronounce.
3. Taiwan use phone(tic)/注音, China use Pinyin/拼音(roman alphabet).
4. Taiwan use Changjie/倉頡, China use Wubi/五筆.
5. Taiwan use GCIN, China use SCIM. (both of them heavy)
6. Taiwan use OXIM, China use FCITX. (both of them lightweight)
...................etc

Gcin is the same degree of SCIM, which is widely used in Taiwan. Of course, both Gcin and SCIM are for modern computers, not really suitable for old PC.

This is a BRIEF explanation. For the long story, we'll discuss later. it is time consuming. This can be discussed from many many aspects, including history, politics (including geo-politics), ideology, language, etc....
It's just like I don't understand Czech history, you don't have to understand so much, either.

I need to install deli0.8 to other p4 box, because using this 233MHZ old box to compile is really a pain....
For proving only. I simply type "Linux輸入法", and I got this URL from google
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://tzangms.com/linux/693/

昨天把 ubuntu 的套件更新了一下( apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade ), 結果今天一來上班要打中文的時候才發現,輸入法怎麼是 SCIM, 然後就在懷疑自己原來自己一直用的都是SCIM嗎? 可惡, 明明是gcin XD 所以說 ubuntu 預設是SCIM?呵呵, 預設沒有中文輸入法啦! 應該是我一開始有裝過 SCIM 然後才換用 gcin,但是 SCIM 優先權比較高, anyway, 總之,有同樣情形的話用im-switch這個指令就可以解決了。

im-switch -z zh_TW -s gcin

接下來重新登入就可以使用 gcin 啦!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My lousy translation : (You might try google translation and see how it translates)

Yesterday I update ubuntu packages, and today when I went to work and want to type mandarin, the input method suddenly became SCIM, and I doubt if I use SCIM all the time? Damned it, I know I use GCIN. XD Does it mean ubuntu default mandarin input method is SCIM? haha, there is not default mandarin input method!! Probably I originally installed ubuntu and scim was installed (as dependency) and then I installed GCIN afterword, but SCIM has higher priority. Anyway, if the same circumstances happen, use im-switch this command can solve this problem.

im-switch -z zh_TW -s gcin Then re-login, and use GCIN!!
08-01-2011, 04:46 PM
(08-01-2011 02:03 PM)widi Wrote:  I need to install deli0.8 to other p4 box, because using this 233MHZ old box to compile is really a pain....

If You have something faster than P4 and if it supports virtualization, then it's better to install it in VirtualBox. It would be much faster.

My buildsystem is a virtualbox image .... I run it on my Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM.
08-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Any luck with OXIM ?
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Bad luck. one question. Do you know how to automate pacman?

I write down some required libraries such as libxtxt, libxpt..etc. However, I still have to compile those libraries first.

Pacman doesn't look like *bsd whose port system can automate dependent package compilation.
08-04-2011, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 01:08 PM by tavvva.)
(08-04-2011 12:14 PM)widi Wrote:  Bad luck. one question. Do you know how to automate pacman?

I write down some required libraries such as libxtxt, libxpt..etc. However, I still have to compile those libraries first.

Pacman doesn't look like *bsd whose port system can automate dependent package compilation.

If the dependency is missing, then You need to build it as a prerequisity. There's no way how to avoid that. The same applies to BSD. Somebody had to write the BSD port Makefiles for all the dependencies .... that's equivalent to PKGBUILDs used by DeLi(cate). I'm a NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD user and the BSD way of building is similar to way used in Gentoo Linux. Anyway ... even in Gentoo there must be something like PKGBUILD .... it's called ebuild. But as DeLi(cate) is a binary distribution, the builds are done on the buildsystem, not directly on the targetted computer.