Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
RE: Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
(07-29-2011 10:13 AM)widi Wrote:  hum.....basically deli linux cannot compile anything due to gcc version.

I don't think gcc version should be greated than 5, however, I tar zxvf and jxvf ayttm amd oxim just wanna test, and ./configure stops when it check gcc vsion smaller small than 5.0. Default deli compiler is 3.4.6....werid.

Any suggestions?

The latest available GCC release is 4.6.1 ... and version 3.4.6 should be still very well supported by all software. It's usually exactly the opposite .... version 4 and newer have often problems to compile software and software then needs to be patched in order to be compatible with version 4. I've experienced no problems with the current GCC version 3.4.6. I've built oxim using the 3.4.6 compiler as well as all the new packages. There could be uclibc related problems which need to be solved by proper switches and parameters passed to the configure script ... configure scripts often do not recognise the build/host platform correctly. Sometimes it's needed to patch the produced makefiles in order to pass the correct -march to the gcc.

Could You please send me the configure output? Just redirect the output to a file or copy that from the terminal and paste in a plain TXT file.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I just got on my mind, that You probably get messages : "C compiler cannot create executables".

But that's not caused by the GCC version .... that's caused by missing binutils package. Just try to install binutils and test that again.
07-29-2011, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2011 12:08 PM by tavvva.)
FYI ... GCC3 and GCC4 were developed in parallel as separate branches.

GCC 3.4.6 is NEWER than GCC 4.1.0 !!!

Wink
07-29-2011, 12:49 PM
yeah! thanks for your experience, I installed binutils and now trying to test compiling oxim.
Find all posts by this user
07-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Qt libraries 4.7.3 for Linux/X11 (202 MB)

Geeeee
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2011 04:51 PM by tavvva.)
You have to disable QT ... oxim supports GTK too. The following PKGBUILD leads to no failures during the OXIM build, but as I've written ... it's just a plain oxim, where I'm unsure with the correct config file locations and where the additional stuff needed for proper chinese handling is missing ...

Scroll down inside the following CODE box in order to get all the switches passed to the configure command ...
Code:
# Maintainer: Jaromir Capik <....>                                                                        

pkgname=oxim                                                                                                        
pkgver=1.4.4                                                                                                        
pkgrel=1                                                                                                            
url="http://opensource.nchc.org.tw/odp/others/OXIM/Source/tarball/"                                                  
license=('GPL')                                                                                                      
depends=('uclibc' 'libxtst')                                                                                        
source=(http://opensource.nchc.org.tw/odp/others/OXIM/Source/tarball/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)                        

build() {                                                                                                            
  cd $srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver                                                                                        

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \                                                                      
              --localstatedir=/var/lib \                                                                            
              --disable-qt-immodule \                                                                                
              --host=$CHOST --build=$CHOST                                                                          
  make                                                                                                              
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$pkgdir/usr/lib                                                                            
  make DESTDIR=$pkgdir install                                                                                      

}

I would have to add some ldconfig related stuff too, since I'm unsure if the LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack works well. The GTK+ dependency is missing in the PKGBUILD too .... it was just a very quick try. I couldn't find enough time for playing with OXIM yet Sad
07-30-2011, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2011 02:06 AM by widi.)
do you mind telling me how to identify dependent packages or libraries? For example, in PKGBUILD file, how do you know oxim needs libxtst? uClibc is required I understand, but I cannot figure out how a maintainer know these dependencies.

I can only add one library/package when I encounter compile error. This is really wasting of time. My friend used to tell me I can try ccache to save some time, but I still don't know how to identify dependencies of a specific package, let's say ayttm or pidgin for example.

Second question is about configure options. In your PKGBUILD, I know you specifiy --disable-qt-immodule. But when I type ./configure --help previously in compiling QT, it will pop-up me tons of options. Enable some options will require extra packages. How do I know those other extra packages are required for other users so that I know I should or shouldn't put those extra options in PKGBUILD?
07-30-2011, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2011 12:13 PM by tavvva.)
(07-30-2011 02:03 AM)widi Wrote:  do you mind telling me how to identify dependent packages or libraries? For example, in PKGBUILD file, how do you know oxim needs libxtst? uClibc is required I understand, but I cannot figure out how a maintainer know these dependencies.

I can only add one library/package when I encounter compile error. This is really wasting of time. My friend used to tell me I can try ccache to save some time, but I still don't know how to identify dependencies of a specific package, let's say ayttm or pidgin for example.

That's question of the Year !
It's about the maintainer's experience and familiarity with the product. Every maintainer has it's own way, how to handle these situations.
You can do several things .... look, how it is done in other distributions .... start reading the product homepage .... look inside the sources / configure script / makefile how the things are designed ....... or try it blindly and read error logs, then tune it accordingly ...... and even if the maintainer is experienced, he still can do mistakes which lead to later runtime issues - these are hopefully reported in form of bug reports and that's the feedback that can help maintainer to learn from his mistakes. Moreover, maintainer needs to know the differencies between his distribution and the other distributions and tune the switches accordingly ..... example..... DeLi(cate) has no QT library, because it's too heavy. And that's why I told You to disable QT in the configure script .... We use GTK and that's perfectly ok, because OXIM is compatible with both libraries. Sometimes You have to explicitely say, that You don't want to have some of the offered features and thus You can get rid of some of the unwanted dependencies.
Next role of maintainers is to cooperate with upstream and tell the upstream guys about problems found during the build. Upstream guys can then accept the maintainer's patches or fix the issue by themselves. Sometimes the upstream guys are not willing at all and in such cases You have to maintain Your local patches forever :]

(07-30-2011 02:03 AM)widi Wrote:  Second question is about configure options. In your PKGBUILD, I know you specifiy --disable-qt-immodule. But when I type ./configure --help previously in compiling QT, it will pop-up me tons of options. Enable some options will require extra packages. How do I know those other extra packages are required for other users so that I know I should or shouldn't put those extra options in PKGBUILD?

That's again about the knowledge of the distribution and deciding, what we want and what we don't want. If we build some packages without dependency XXX and later we add package, that cannot be built without XXX, then we can rebuild all those previous packages with the dependency XXX, because we know, that it's already in the distro .... but we also can decide to let the previous packages as they are .... there are no strict rules .... sometimes You have to disable some of the features, because they're buggy and don't work properly .... it's all about thinking and deciding .... that's why I call it a puzzle for adults Smile
07-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I have several old small hd (3g, 5g, 13g, 20g, 30g). Most of them cannot be detected by computer now. The only 20g has 0 bad track. I install deli linux in 5G hd. 20G only for compiling purpose. Now I am hoping low level format can at least keep it alive.

for those hds that cannot be detected, I wonder if there are anyway to at least let old box detect them. If they cannot be detected, then low level format is impossible though.
07-30-2011, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2011 06:29 PM by tavvva.)
(07-30-2011 05:59 PM)widi Wrote:  I have several old small hd (3g, 5g, 13g, 20g, 30g). Most of them cannot be detected by computer now. The only 20g has 0 bad track. I install deli linux in 5G hd. 20G only for compiling purpose. Now I am hoping low level format can at least keep it alive.

for those hds that cannot be detected, I wonder if there are anyway to at least let old box detect them. If they cannot be detected, then low level format is impossible though.

BIOS-based low level format has no sense for these drives. because their controllers would completely ignore such attempts. And I guess You won't find the serie-specific disc utilities provided by the manufacturers for the older models anymore. The newer ones have a transparrent reallocation and S.M.A.R.T. capabilities, therefore they should transparrently reallocate all the bad sectors and tell You about that via the S.M.A.R.T. interface.

If the disc can't be detected in the old PC, then it could be also caused by the BIOS limitations. You should test it in newer computer (supporting at least 32GB drives). Some BIOSes don't like a presence of foreign MBR containing a different geometry and can freeze, etc. Wiping the very first sector on the disc could help in such case. Anyway ... if the problem is caused by the BIOS, then the linux kernel should be able to detect the drive without using the BIOS calls (but the drive then cannot be used for booting). And if it is really caused by the drive electronics, then You have no chance to make it working .... at least not so easily.