Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2011 09:33 AM by widi.)
RE: Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
I can now using X window. My precious (read my lips: precious) 9-PIN mouse (the only 9-pin still functioning) cannot setup correctly.

Previously I can get it work under deli linux 0.8 before I formatted it and install win98. I should have had xorg.conf backup first....

I'm upgrading to delicate as you've written. Did you see?

Still need more time to figure it out -9-pin precious mouse problem.

upgrade successful after manually "pacman -Rd ghostscript". Mouse problem now can move, but it will disappear after several seconds and I can only move up and down inside the main menu.
my mouse works again! I'm using my old box now. Say hello to you and all anonymous guests. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
(07-28-2011 08:36 AM)widi Wrote:  I can now using X window. My precious (read my lips: precious) 9-PIN mouse (the only 9-pin still functioning) cannot setup correctly.

Yeah ... that's probably one of those serial ones equipped with a small ball :] In such case /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 device file needs to be used :]

(07-28-2011 08:36 AM)widi Wrote:  Mouse problem now can move, but it will disappear after several seconds and I can only move up and down inside the main menu.

Strange ... probably wrong mouse protocol chosen?

(07-28-2011 08:36 AM)widi Wrote:  my mouse works again! I'm using my old box now. Say hello to you and all anonymous guests. Big Grin

Good ... what was wrong?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2011, 03:59 PM
yeah, protocol. However, previously I still use Microsoft and /dev/ttyS0, yet it refuses to move. I remembe I delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf and xorgconfig several times, and suddenly it moves like a charm.....Yet there are two minor problems need to figure out 'cuz I feel puzzled.

First, I can only use X window using root. When I use user-level account, X window always fails to start. I double check /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the errors that generates, I had actually removed (non-exist fontpath OTF, glx and dri I also deleted, but it still pop-up error message telling me glx and dri modules not exist). This makes me puzzled....Should I sync or update any cache for user-level account?

Second, I guess you prabably add -mode option in startx file. previously when I haven't upgraded, I can still use root to X window. After upgrading, I have to delete "-mode xxxxx" to startx as usual.
07-28-2011, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2011 07:49 PM by tavvva.)
(07-28-2011 03:59 PM)widi Wrote:  First, I can only use X window using root. When I use user-level account, X window always fails to start. I double check /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the errors that generates, I had actually removed (non-exist fontpath OTF, glx and dri I also deleted, but it still pop-up error message telling me glx and dri modules not exist). This makes me puzzled....Should I sync or update any cache for user-level account?

I think that GLX related error is not fatal and should not block the X start. I also believe, that You would get the same GLX error for the root account too, but as the session was properly started, You probably had no reason to check the logs for the GLX error presence .... I'm sure it would be there too. The problem probably lies elsewhere and I believe it's in the way You start the X session. Please, read bellow ...

(07-28-2011 03:59 PM)widi Wrote:  Second, I guess you prabably add -mode option in startx file. previously when I haven't upgraded, I can still use root to X window. After upgrading, I have to delete "-mode xxxxx" to startx as usual.

This looks like You don't start the X session like it is designed.
I don't know if You remember my previous hints to run delisetup and the window manager configuration (Setup window manager) AS NON-ROOT USER ... this actually configures the user's .xinitrc file to start the selected window manager and since that only plain startx should be called. This didn't work properly in DeLi 0.8 because of forgotten TMP file blocking the user configuration, so ... people probably started discovering other ways how to start X. Anyway, I haven't changed anything in the startx command and it's behavior.

If You configured the window manager as NON-ROOT user, then a plain startx should be sufficient for starting the X .... You can also install slim for graphical login.

This was well tested by me on several computers and if You do it this way, it should work Smile

I'll probably record a short installation video to show people the standard way of installation.
07-28-2011, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2011 09:20 PM by tavvva.)
I've made 3 videos covering the whole installation/upgrade/config.

Some of them are probably too fast and maybe it would be better to convert them into a more suitable format ... but try ...

1. Install
http://delicate.tavvva.net/video/DeLi_0.8_install.mp4 (5.1MB)

2. Upgrade to DeLi(cate)
http://delicate.tavvva.net/video/Upgrade...(cate).mp4 (11.4MB)

3. Basic GUI setup
http://delicate.tavvva.net/video/DeLi(ca...config.mp4 (5.7MB)
07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
now user-level account can use x window and slim gui-based instlall. thanks for your suggestion using delisetup and choose window manager, it helps.

I go to unifont webpage and download pcf and ttf both, save to correspondent /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc and /usr/lib/fonts/TTF path, fc-cache it, and now netsurf can browse (not libertytimes.com.tw, I guess it's the stylesheet problem) webpages with better glyphs.

One minor question that I found out is, netsurf doesn't handle RC/LF correctly. That's why some lengthy paragraphs may not be seen 'cuz it doesn't word wrap on frame right margin. Yet that' don't bother me at all. I feel great using netsurf.
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2011 10:07 PM by tavvva.)
Try skipstone .... as it's a mozilla class browser, it could have a better rendering capabilities .... It is not installed by default and you have to restart icewm in order to make the icon on the taskbar and menu visible after the installation.
Shy

I'm also thinking about building netsurf 2.x .... it could have better features, but I'm unsure how fast it could be on slow computers ..... searching for a good browser for old computers is a nightmare :]
07-29-2011, 06:22 AM
I'm using skipstone now, performance and rendering speed both OK. I cannot anticipate anything FAST given the hardware limitation. At least I don't have to see win98 blue screen that often. Thanks for recommendation.

Let me try to compile something for experiment purposes....Smile
07-29-2011, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2011 08:06 AM by tavvva.)
(07-29-2011 06:22 AM)widi Wrote:  Let me try to compile something for experiment purposes....Smile

Feel free to experiment :] But I recommend You to do Your compilations on faster computers. Use VirtualBox and install DeLi(cate) inside. That could allow You to enjoy the speed of Your modern computer during the compilations. Otherwise it would take ages :] .... Just one note ... The X configuration is not needed for running DeLi(cate) in Virtualbox .... just the WM settings ... and ... you can experience frozen states when leaving the VirtualBox window in the text mode ... that's a minor compatibility issue .... so .... use the GUI Smile

Since the fakeroot package was introduced, You can do Your builds as a regular user.
07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
hum.....basically deli linux cannot compile anything due to gcc version.

I don't think gcc version should be greated than 5, however, I tar zxvf and jxvf ayttm amd oxim just wanna test, and ./configure stops when it check gcc vsion smaller small than 5.0. Default deli compiler is 3.4.6....werid.

Any suggestions?