Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
07-25-2011, 02:21 PM
RE: Glad to see deli revived, from Taiwan
Believe it or not, win98 running opera 11.0 with memory booster control memory usage, still very slow.... I wonder where I can find 16 bit OS these days....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2011, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2011 10:03 PM by tavvva.)
(07-25-2011 02:21 PM)widi Wrote:  Believe it or not, win98 running opera 11.0 with memory booster control memory usage, still very slow.... I wonder where I can find 16 bit OS these days....

I DO believe it! Smile
Opera was never intended to be the most fastest and the most lightweight browser.

Why do You need 16-bit OS? Even DOS is not a fully 16-bit OS.
That's wasting of resources, since all i386 and higher CPUs have at least 32-bit wide address and data bus.
Moreover 16-bit protected mode can only address 16MB of RAM and that's probably absolutely insufficient for web browsing Shy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2011, 11:48 AM
It's long time haven't use deli linux, I guess I should reinstall it again and pick up some forgot pacman tutorials..

How do you write a make file for each specific package including dependency issue? Without a good make file, compilation always fails...

can cross compile solve this problem without even create a make file for each specific package?
07-26-2011, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 03:18 PM by tavvva.)
You probably mean PKGBUILD files.

Here's the most simple PKGBUILD example ...
Code:
# Maintainer: Jumping Jackson <jumping@jackson.org>

pkgname=yabadabadu
pkgver=2.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='Tools for doing yabadabadu'
url='http://yabadabadu.org'
license=('GPL')
depends=('uclibc')
options=('')
source=(http://yabadabadu.org/download/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz)
md5sums=('0f0be0239914ad87830a4fff594bda5b')

build() {
    cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=$CHOST --host=$CHOST
    make || return 1
    make DESTDIR=${pkgdir}/ install || return 1
}

Just place it to some newly created empty directory (for example ~/pkgbuild/yabadabadu/), then go to that directory, alter the PKGBUILD file according to Your needs and call makepkg. I don't know how much experience with packaging You actualy have, but don't hesitate to ask me even about very basic stuff.

I probably don't understand Your last question well.

--------------------

Regarding the oxim ... sorry, I had to solve some unexpected (and linux unrelated) important issues here. I still have it in my TODO list.
07-26-2011, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 03:48 PM by widi.)
No packaging experience, only compilation/installation experience.

That's why I think it's important to learn how to pack somc binary packages, and hopefully I can help you a little bit, though not much, due to my very limited computer knowledge.

I don't have enough time to find a quiet place and read some useful computer books after I decided to work in my family's small florist instead of searching a computer job.

Here are my ikebana practices, of course, irrelevant to deli linux.
http://photo.i-part.com.tw/1953796/1/page1

Regarding to my last question, what I'm trying to convey is...

You compile source using uClibc-based native toolchain under Deli linux? or you compile sources using cross-toolchain under other mainstream linux distribution such as Debian/Ubuntu/Suse/Fedora/Slackware?

If I intend to compile a small package, let's say OXIM for example, should I compile oxim source under Deli linux using its native toolchain, or should I compile oxim source under Debian?
07-26-2011, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 05:25 PM by tavvva.)
(07-26-2011 03:44 PM)widi Wrote:  No packaging experience, only compilation/installation experience.

That's why I think it's important to learn how to pack somc binary packages, and hopefully I can help you a little bit, though not much, due to my very limited computer knowledge.

Knowledge can be gained Wink

(07-26-2011 03:44 PM)widi Wrote:  I don't have enough time to find a quiet place and read some useful computer books after I decided to work in my family's small florist instead of searching a computer job.

Here are my ikebana practices, of course, irrelevant to deli linux.
http://photo.i-part.com.tw/1953796/1/page1

Nice work! Smile

(07-26-2011 03:44 PM)widi Wrote:  Regarding to my last question, what I'm trying to convey is...

You compile source using uClibc-based native toolchain under Deli linux? or you compile sources using cross-toolchain under other mainstream linux distribution such as Debian/Ubuntu/Suse/Fedora/Slackware?

If I intend to compile a small package, let's say OXIM for example, should I compile oxim source under Deli linux using its native toolchain, or should I compile oxim source under Debian?

Oh ... now I understand. It's always easier and probably more reliable to use a native environment if it already exists. I recommend to use DeLi(cate) for Your builds. I plan to build a fakeroot package that can allow regular users to build packages with all needed permissions.
07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
my old pc had reinstalled deli 0.8. I forgot how I set up my s3virge/dx vga. when I type startx, it freezes immediately.... totally black screen. I have to figure it out.
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2011 04:28 PM by tavvva.)
(07-27-2011 03:24 PM)widi Wrote:  my old pc had reinstalled deli 0.8. I forgot how I set up my s3virge/dx vga. when I type startx, it freezes immediately.... totally black screen. I have to figure it out.

Have You tried delisetup and Setup XOrg X Server as root?

But. I recommend You to upgrade to DeLi(cate) first. I've made important fixes for the delisetup. Otherwise You would see just a totally broken screen due to a lack of unicode support.

Instructions for upgrading can be found here:
http://delicate.tavvva.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=4
or here:
http://delicate.tavvva.net/

Once You have the XOrg configured, don't forget to switch to a regular user and run the delisetup again in order to configure the default window manager.
07-27-2011, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 12:32 PM by tavvva.)
One more hint ....

If You have a PS2 mouse, don't forget to change the device path from /dev/input/mice to /dev/psaux
07-27-2011, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2011 09:30 PM by tavvva.)
And yet another hint ....

File conflicts could appear during the upgrade ... that's a current pacman issue ... inherited from DeLi 0.8 .... I'll try to solve it in the future updates.

I expect conflicts with ghostscript / gs-cups and netsurf.

These conflicts need to be solved by the package removal (ghostscript / gs-cups) and forced update (netsurf).