Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some ideas for a nice desktop :)
12-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Some ideas for a nice desktop :)
Is it possible to build a system with Delicate that's even prettier than..?

Well it depends on personal taste, but with some smart ideas You can do a lot Smile I'm not deliver some goodies (yet), but maybe some ideas..

IceWM is nice, I'm not complain about it.. But ever seen Oroborus (which is much lighter) and fbpanel.
Oroborus was more or less the inspiration of XFCE, and you could use the xfwm4 themes. So there are a lot of themes you could use.
Lxpanel is a kind of fork from fbpanel, so the 2 combined makes it in a visual way a mixture between LXDE and XFCE.

'But LXDE and XFCE can control your desktop with icons, trashcan etc'..
Sure, but ROX can do that job too. Enable the rox pinboard and browse a few other forums and rox is almost as nice as pcmanfm or thunar with less memory needed. The puppylinux forum is full of icon themes etc for rox. (simply rename the .pet file into tar.gz and grab the files). On the AntiX forum You can find a solution for a trashcan on your desktop.

As a lightweight solution it's obvious that a lot of CLI programs are used. With GTK themes, GTK programs are all in the same the, but 'top' and 'mc' are not in the same colours, for example. There are lots of colourschemes
that match with your desktop. Put them in your .Xresources and merge them in .xinitrc

It's a bit of work, but your old machine can evenly look like a newer one with some smart solutions Smile

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 03:15 PM
RE: Some ideas for a nice desktop :)
Hi Theo.

How are you?

(12-05-2015 01:08 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  Is it possible to build a system with Delicate that's even prettier than..?

Well it depends on personal taste, but with some smart ideas You can do a lot Smile I'm not deliver some goodies (yet), but maybe some ideas..

IceWM is nice, I'm not complain about it.. But ever seen Oroborus (which is much lighter) and fbpanel.
Oroborus was more or less the inspiration of XFCE, and you could use the xfwm4 themes. So there are a lot of themes you could use.
Lxpanel is a kind of fork from fbpanel, so the 2 combined makes it in a visual way a mixture between LXDE and XFCE.

Nice. I'm a long-time user of xfce and would love to see that.

(12-05-2015 01:08 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  'But LXDE and XFCE can control your desktop with icons, trashcan etc'..
Sure, but ROX can do that job too. Enable the rox pinboard and browse a few other forums and rox is almost as nice as pcmanfm or thunar with less memory needed. The puppylinux forum is full of icon themes etc for rox. (simply rename the .pet file into tar.gz and grab the files). On the AntiX forum You can find a solution for a trashcan on your desktop.

I'd love to see more themes packaged, but my encouragement for community development is lacking results :] Wanna try that?

(12-05-2015 01:08 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  As a lightweight solution it's obvious that a lot of CLI programs are used. With GTK themes, GTK programs are all in the same the, but 'top' and 'mc' are not in the same colours, for example. There are lots of colourschemes
that match with your desktop. Put them in your .Xresources and merge them in .xinitrc

It's a bit of work, but your old machine can evenly look like a newer one with some smart solutions Smile

I hope so too. Wanna try to build oroborus+fbpanel?
12-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Sure, the next couples of days I can make some PKGBUILD files Smile The past days it was 'Sinterklaas' (http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/neth...olas-day). So no time for 'computerthings' Smile Oroborus seems easy to build, almost no dependencies Smile

Lubuntu with Openbox (in VB) 106 mb. Processor (1) above 4,5% till 10%
Lubuntu with Oroborus (in VB) 97 mb. Processor (1) from 2,3 till 5%

All figures where on the same machine with only openbox replaced by oroborus, so I guess it's worth it Smile

B.t.w. there is a PCMANFM version (an older) that worked without any troubles on Delicate Linux.. But I don't remember which version.
A lot of people seems to like it, so maybe I've to look at it for those too (It's not high on my todo list, cause I'm not one of them).

Oh and I'm doing well, I think they don't want me in heaven or hell... just suffer sometimes Smile A year ago they discovered 7 tumors (bladder) but they where harmless. But hey what is the hospital without Theo Tongue Keep on breathing, eating, drinking and having a good time, that makes a lot of a difference. Live today, and don't worry about tomorrow Smile Oh well, there are a lot of goodies I like to 'translate' to Delicate and I found a lot of it Smile
Lot's of CLI programs and HOWTO's (How to make Mutt working with gmail or outlook) or How to make JWM looks like XFCE Tongue
I don't know if there is somebody in the community that would like to help me to write a descent HOWTO or PKGBUILD's. I can give the information, but sometimes two hands are not enough. After all, the most beautiful thing about linux is to share information, ideas and knowledge Smile

12-07-2015, 10:59 PM
I was building Oroborus, but I've got some errors Confused
configure: error: C Preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

Strang gcc (and) libs are installed, so it beats me.

and

make:*** No targets specified an no makefile found. Stop.

In the Source there are 2 Makefiles.
I'll give it tomorrow another shot

12-11-2015, 11:18 PM
I gave it up.. it seems to be to difficult for me.. I can write bash scripts and a little bit of programming, but this is beyond my knowledge. But hey, there are more ways for getting more or less the same result Smile Converting populair XFCE themes to IceWM is one of them. With no offence, and I use them both, but in my opinion the 'old' AntiX which uses IceWM is more polished than the MX (XFCE) series. I'm not saying it's better, but it's my opinion Wink