Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bios Error Old Linux Computer
08-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Bios Error Old Linux Computer
Hi i am new to Deli(cate) Linux and have a number of computers. Some with windows xp and 98 and 3.11 and dos. Some with versions of BSD Unix Linux slackware and others. I get a lot of old computers from places and am currently working with a pentium 133mhz 16mb ram and 1281 mb hard drive quad speed cdrom the computer is a IBM APTIVA M71 model 2168-m71. I spent the last 3 days getting one of my computers to burn the new .1alpha5 delicate iso and rawrite the cdrom boot floppy (my main computers no longer have floppy drives and my cdwriters wont burn 52x speed cd-r and stores that sell the right speed are hard to find). Anyway when i boot up the computer (i think i had an old slackware version on it that wont boot anymore) it says ERROR: Incompatible BIOS Translation Detected.
Refer to your Ontrack documentation for more information.
Insert boot diskette in drive A:, press any key when ready...
. So i have the CDROM boot.dsk floppy (that i rawrited with a windows xp wrawrite program) in the drive and the Deli(cate) ISO cd i burnt in the drive but nothing happens when i press a key for the boot disk prompt. I do know a little about linux/unix from books. Mainly terminal prompt and it has been a while since i partitioned anything. Dont understand grub or lilo really just did what the instructions say so what i'm trying to say is i dont know how to fix my Incompatible BIOS Translation so i can install Deli(cate). If you can help me boot Deli(cate) linux please help. BTW my computer wont boot from CD.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2015, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 09:24 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Bios Error Old Linux Computer
Hello.

Are you sure the floppy drive is ok? Are you sure the floppy is well readable? You could try to boot with the smart boot manager floppy (sbootmgr.dsk)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2015, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 10:04 PM by olivetree4752.)
I entered the bios and disabled the hard drive from booting and now only have the floppy drive to boot from. Now instead of the errors it said something about configuration of the bios has been changed i let it save it. Then a screen with what looks like a floppy drive and an arrow coming from a picture of a disk appears with arrows pointing to a F1 through F12 boxes appear. I guess this is telling me to press F1 when a disk is inserted. I thought the boot.dsk would make the cdrom available to load. If this is not what it does then i guess it wants me to make boot floppies of the Deli(cate) system. I did not see boot floppy install disks anywhere to be made and would rather use the cdrom if it is possible to get the cdrom to boot the ISO. Otherwise i could install from possible floppies (although floppies seem unreliable and who knows how many would be needed). I made the cd ISO at 40x speed and my cdrom reads at quad speed does this make a difference when it wants to read. When i made the ISO it said recommended 8x should i have made it at 4x.
08-22-2015, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 04:33 AM by olivetree4752.)
Ok i re rawrited the boot.dsk and inserted into floppy drive now i have the installation running good job developers. Thank you hopefully soon i can have a terminal text web browser and C compiler with libs. I got a Warning: unable to open initial console. Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. message. I get a GRUB loading stage 2 prompt.I chose to boot Deli(cate) 0.1-alpha5 Install [kernel 1-2.4.33.3-boot] instead of boot from cdrom when i choose boot from cdrom it gives an error Disk error! 0x0C. I hit enter and it brings me to a Boot Menu with Quit to BIOS Reboot and
flags Number Type Name
*--------D CDO 0 NONE CD-ROM
options. someimes it will let me keep going and then stop somewhere
i burned a new image onto a cd-r at 4X speed using imgburn but it warned that my drive specs shouldnt burn below 8x and i am using music cd-r since my cd r drive speed was not fast enough to burn the 52X speed and the music cd-r are 40x speed so hopefully i dont have to special order some other cd-r if this doesnt work im going to try 8X speed since i heard 4x will work with 8x im waiting to see if it will boot now but it has been some time since anything else printed on screen

im getting the cdrom to boot went through cfdisk it partitioned auto for me i entered deliinstall and loaded from cdrom the install is going on now watching it with alt+f4 like wiki says now i got
error: unable to lock pacman database if you're sure pacman is not already running, you can remove /tmp/pacman.lck
waiting now to see if it automatically does anything
entered alt+f1 and screen was waiting for me to enter password a underprivileged user and password then it said only minimal install was completed and if i wanted to add additional packages which i guess was on cd-r and now i get a
CONGRATULATION! Installation of DeLi(cate) Linux completed Take the CD-ROM out of the drive and press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot
so here goes nothing

It restarted and said the same thing about the
ERROR: Incompatible BIOS Translation Detected.
Refer to your Ontrack documenation for more information.
Insert boot diskette in drive A:, press any key when ready...

I was reading something in the setup menu about cfdisk creating something for bioses not capable of handling the system I will retry and get this setting to work ASAP. It wants me to partition space for it but i dont know what to do like with Primary or Logical
and how much space i gave it 10 mb. After i set up the partition it said to reboot i did so at the prompt and it still gets the ERROR:, Incompatible BIOS Translation Detected. I use the boot.dsk and get no option for cd rom but a new menu option Boot from the 1st harddrive. When I enter this option I get
Booting 'Boot from the 1st harddrive'
root (hd0)
Error 25: Disk read error
Press any key to continue...
and sends me back to the BOOT menu.
So any help with this is much appreciated.
08-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Hello.

You put here a lot of information. It would be better to discuss this online. Do you use any instant messenger like IRC, Jabber, ICQ, ... ?

Thanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user