Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seperate /boot partition?
02-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Seperate /boot partition?
    Hi long time no seen Wink

I've got a problem with the latest Alpha.
It doesn't matter what I choose it seems that it wants a seperate boot partition.
I've tried everything, but I guess it normally should work with a primary (boot) partion (ext2) and a swappartion.. But now I'm stucked with this message in Vbox.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2015, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 01:59 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Seperate /boot partition?
(02-15-2015 11:10 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  Hi long time no seen Wink

I've got a problem with the latest Alpha.
It doesn't matter what I choose it seems that it wants a seperate boot partition.
I've tried everything, but I guess it normally should work with a primary (boot) partion (ext2) and a swappartion.. But now I'm stucked with this message in Vbox.

Hello stranger Big Grin How are you?

Could you please describe your scenario with all details? Separate boot partition selector has been tested by me thousand times. I can install the system with and without the separate boot partition and it works correctly in my case.

Looking at your picture I think that you enabled the separate boot partition but had not created one. If you want to have a separate boot partition, then create a small ext2/3 partition at the beginning of the drive. That means you need at least two ext* partitions. One for /boot and one for /.
02-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Nowadays I'm doing fine Wink Thank you.
This problem beats me, it doesn't matter what I choose this screen appears in whatever I choose. Creating an extra partition (logical) doesn't help.. It wouldn't format hda1 which is primary and bootable. Very strange... The md5sum is correct, so just to be sure if it isn't a virtualbox issue I take a dive in my old hardware and try to install it on something real Smile

02-16-2015, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 08:56 PM by nl2stk.)
I don't know what went wrong in Vbox, but I burned the iso and found an old compaq PIII 1 ghz (whoaw) and made it work. Video and soundcard are on board and an 80 GB should do the job. Not typical hardware for delicate linux, but at least I can build a package or two in the near future Tongue

edit: the onboard intel 82815 is still rubbish.. Replaced by an old nvidea geforce 4000 and delicate is up and running Smile

02-16-2015, 09:06 PM
(02-16-2015 07:12 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I don't know what went wrong in Vbox, but I burned the iso and found an old compaq PIII 1 ghz (whoaw) and made it work. Video and soundcard are on board and an 80 GB should do the job. Not typical hardware for delicate linux, but at least I can build a package or two in the near future Tongue

edit: the onboard intel 82815 is still rubbish.. Replaced by an old nvidea geforce 4000 and delicate is up and running Smile

I tested the image in VBox many times and no problems found so far ... really hard to guess what went wrong in your case. Sometimes a reboot is required after changing the disc layout. The kernel table needs a refresh.
02-16-2015, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 10:04 PM by nl2stk.)
Perhaps is that the issue.. I don't know.. It's working on a real machine.. and that was a dissaster. A P3 with a broken hd, a memorybank defect.. and after a while I remember that the 82815 wasn't a very good videocard. It's working execpt for the ethernet, but that seems to be not that difficult... Smile

Edit: inserted a RLT 8139 and problem solved Smile