Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Serial Mouse
07-28-2014, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 04:21 PM by krz.)
Serial Mouse
In case you cannot make your serial mouse to work, you should modify the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. The file can be modified under root.

The strings to be modified are as follows:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Mouse0"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "Device"    "/dev/mouse"
    Option        "Protocol"    "Auto"

EndSection

Instead of /dev/mouse you should put, depending on the COM port the mouse is hang to, /dev/ttyS0 (for COM1), /dev/ttyS1 (for COM2) or other ttySx value , if you have more COM ports or different setup in the BIOS.

By default you should leave "Auto" protocol. If that does not work, and Xserver throws an error:

Code:
<mousename>: cannot determine the mouse protocol

you need to manually specify a protocol type for your mouse. Choose one from the list (to be completed later because I do not know which types are supported in current release).

Also if you have a three button mouse or a mouse with a scroller (yep, I have such beasts) you might be interested in setting the correct protocol for them to be able to use advanced features (like third button).

I.e. for my Logitech M-CAA43 three button mouse I used the protocol MouseMan.

When you choose, keep in mind the following (the citation below is from the XServer Readme):
Quote: 1. "Logitech" protocol is for old serial mouse models from
Logitech. Modern Logitech mice use either "MouseMan" or
"Microsoft" protocol.

2. Most 2-button serial mice support the "Microsoft" protocol.

3. 3-button serial mice may work with the "Mousesystems"
protocol. If it doesn't, it may work instead with the
"Microsoft" protocol although the third (middle) button won't
function. 3-button serial mice may also work with the
"Mouseman" protocol under which the third button may function
as expected.

4. 3-button serial mice may have a small switch at the bottom of
the mouse to choose between ``MS'' and ``PC'', or ``2'' and
``3''. ``MS'' or ``2'' usually mean the "Microsoft"
protocol. ``PC'' or ``3'' will choose the "MouseSystems"
protocol.

5. If the serial mouse has a roller or a wheel, it may be
compatible with the "IntelliMouse" protocol.

6. If the serial mouse has a roller or a wheel and it doesn't
work with the "IntelliMouse" protocol, you have to use it as
a regular 2- or 3-button serial mouse.

If the "Auto" protocol is specified and the mouse seems to be
working, but you find that not all features of the mouse are
available, that is because the X server does not have native
support for that model of mouse and is using a ``compatible''
protocol according to PnP information.

deli hardware: AMD 5x86 @150 MHz; 64 Mb FPM RAM; 4.0 Gb HDD; ATI Rage IIc PCI 4Mb + 15" Samtron TFT.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2014, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 05:41 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Serial Mouse
Hey :]

I recommend to use the XOrg configuration tool for doing modifications.

Just run delisetup or setup from the root account, then select Setup Hardware, Setup XOrg X Server, confirm the annoying dialog (will be removed soon) and you should get to the XOrg configuration tool. The mouse settings are under the Configure mouse option ;] The device file and the protocol can be configured there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2014, 05:48 PM
One day I'll do a mouse configuration script to symlink the right device file to /dev/mouse. I admit it's annoying to guess the right device file.
07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks!

I also admit that it is not very straightforward for a former Windows user to find that the mouse is configured in XOrg X Server. Neither this is in the wiki.

By the way, maybe there is some option in delisetup for switchable keyboard layouts? I know how to do that manually in xorg.conf (which I would like to write here) but maybe there is some gui setup implemented and it does not matter?

Regards.

deli hardware: AMD 5x86 @150 MHz; 64 Mb FPM RAM; 4.0 Gb HDD; ATI Rage IIc PCI 4Mb + 15" Samtron TFT.
07-31-2014, 09:08 PM
(07-30-2014 08:32 PM)krz Wrote:  Thanks!

I also admit that it is not very straightforward for a former Windows user to find that the mouse is configured in XOrg X Server. Neither this is in the wiki.

Yeah. I admit the wiki is outdated :/ We have a lack of staff :|

(07-30-2014 08:32 PM)krz Wrote:  By the way, maybe there is some option in delisetup for switchable keyboard layouts? I know how to do that manually in xorg.conf (which I would like to write here) but maybe there is some gui setup implemented and it does not matter?

This is currently a gray area. The version of XOrg components we use have a bit perverse implementation of keyboard layouts. I've created a tool for external layout switching, but it needs to be enhanced to support key shortcuts. It's in my TODO.
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Well, under keyboard layout I meant switch language of the keyboard.
Which is done via:

Option "XkbLayout" "us,ua,ru" #xkeymap0"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

We are talking about this?

08-01-2014, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 09:00 PM by tavvva.)
(08-01-2014 09:48 AM)krz Wrote:  Well, under keyboard layout I meant switch language of the keyboard.
Which is done via:

Option "XkbLayout" "us,ua,ru" #xkeymap0"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

We are talking about this?

Yes, exactly about this. The problem of this approach lies entirely in the inability of our XOrg to support multiple variants in addition to multiple layouts. You can only switch between the base variants. Unfortunately we cannot switch to the newer XOrg due to the fact, that it lacks support for ISA cards.
I wanted to backport the code, but that would be a lot of work ... and my TODO is huge :]
09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Can you just add the possibility to specify multiple basic layouts (without variants) in delisetup ?

Regards.

09-30-2014, 10:30 PM
(09-30-2014 07:22 PM)krz Wrote:  Can you just add the possibility to specify multiple basic layouts (without variants) in delisetup ?

Regards.

Sure. This is an easy task.