Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
printing with cups issues
09-30-2014, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 07:24 PM by krz.)
RE: printing with cups issues
Yay, it works!

Sorry for not responding earlier. Had some personal issues, also decided to reinstall from scratch with latest alpha, updated from the repository, set up everything again.

In short - The CUPS server on the remote Fedora PC had to be running. Also I had to remove the locally created RAW printer in the local CUPS server, and specify a network printer visible in the local CUPS setup as a default printer.

In Abiword I had to use Generic Postscript printer, the location had to be set to lpr.

However the choice of printers is poor. Can you consider adding the latest database?

Now to set up the stuff to print to a remote Windows machine which has a non-Postscript printer unsupported in Linux...

deli hardware: AMD 5x86 @150 MHz; 64 Mb FPM RAM; 4.0 Gb HDD; ATI Rage IIc PCI 4Mb + 15" Samtron TFT.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Hi again.

After some (or a lot of) hassle I've setup the stuff to print to a remote Windows machine which has a non-Postscript printer unsupported in Linux...

The system currently has to use 3 PCs... Otherwise it is necessary to install ghostscript on the '486 machine (what I don't want to do, and it will probably slow it down a lot).

The Fedora 9 and the Windows 7 machines were setup according to the excellent howto here: http://justin.yackoski.name/winp/
I used a variant where the windows machine prints with Acrobat Reader (and not the Ghostscript).
The howto works with Acrobat Reader 11 as well, just in case.

Afterwards I "unpublish"ed on the Fedora 9 machine all the printers except for the one which prints to the Windows machine (named Panasonic in my case);
Refreshed the local CUPS page on the 486 machine - the Panasonic printer became a "Default" printer.
Then, re-published the other printers set up on the Fedora 9 machine (because I want to use them from other machines in the network).

In Abiword on the 486 I have to use Generic Postscript printer, the location has to be set to lpr.

P.S.: Two side questions:
Is there any way to print from Abiword to some other CUPS printer (non-default one)?
Is there any way to change the default font in Abiword from Times New Roman to a one which exists in the system?

deli hardware: AMD 5x86 @150 MHz; 64 Mb FPM RAM; 4.0 Gb HDD; ATI Rage IIc PCI 4Mb + 15" Samtron TFT.
Find all posts by this user
07-26-2015, 10:11 PM
(07-23-2015 05:13 PM)krz Wrote:  P.S.: Two side questions:
Is there any way to print from Abiword to some other CUPS printer (non-default one)?
Is there any way to change the default font in Abiword from Times New Roman to a one which exists in the system?

Would have to investigate a bit. This is a corner usecase.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user