Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No X Windows
05-23-2014, 02:53 PM
No X Windows
I have installed Delicate 0.4 (twice) and when I select to install the base packages, it zip through flashing the items on the screen, but does not install them. When I boot into delicate after install, I only have busybox.

I am installing from a CDROM and using boot and root disks to get started. I have been using linux since slackware in the 90's and this method is nostalgic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2014, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 10:30 PM by tavvva.)
RE: No X Windows
(05-23-2014 02:53 PM)stev Wrote:  I have installed Delicate 0.4 (twice) and when I select to install the base packages, it zip through flashing the items on the screen, but does not install them. When I boot into delicate after install, I only have busybox.

I am installing from a CDROM and using boot and root disks to get started. I have been using linux since slackware in the 90's and this method is nostalgic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hello.

BusyBox can only be started when you boot from the installation CD. That means you probably forgot to eject the CD from the CD-ROM and the installer started again after the reboot.
But if you're sure the installation process doesn't work well, then tell me more about your computer. How much RAM does it have? How big is your harddrive and root partition? How big is your swap partition?

Thanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Argh ... sorry. I somehow ignored the fact, that you're booting from floppies.

But in that case I don't understand how you could get to the busybox ... Are you sure it is busybox? Maybe it is just a regular text console with text login?
05-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Thanks for your reply and sorry I was not clear. When I reboot from the new installation, I do get a login and that drops to a bash prompt as it should. But when I typed startx, there was no binary. When I run the config and select configure X, it just flashes the screen and I am at the main menu.

Realizing the installation did not install X or any other extra packages, I mounted the CDROM and installed them manually. I have X up and running with blackbox. Of course there are a lot of other packages left to install now too.

Do you have any idea why the install would not install X or the extra packages? There were no errors reported.

My hardware is as follows:

Pentium 75
40 meg ram
1 meg video ram
200 meg of swap
about 1.6 G of HD space

FYI, my first linux box about 20 years ago had 12megs of ram, a 400meg HD shared with Windows 3.11 and a 400meg HD on a 486/66. And I though I was flying because I could compile a kernel in 40 minutes!
05-24-2014, 03:52 PM
(05-24-2014 01:37 AM)stev Wrote:  Thanks for your reply and sorry I was not clear. When I reboot from the new installation, I do get a login and that drops to a bash prompt as it should. But when I typed startx, there was no binary. When I run the config and select configure X, it just flashes the screen and I am at the main menu.

Realizing the installation did not install X or any other extra packages, I mounted the CDROM and installed them manually. I have X up and running with blackbox. Of course there are a lot of other packages left to install now too.

Do you have any idea why the install would not install X or the extra packages? There were no errors reported.

The only idea I have is that you accidently forgot to select [ YES ] when asked about the installation of default package sets.
In some cases the pacman installation may fail when there's not enough RAM, but if you have 40MB and apparently activated swap, then I have to suspect your CD-ROM and it's reliability. Are you sure the HDD is ok?

(05-24-2014 01:37 AM)stev Wrote:  My hardware is as follows:

Pentium 75
40 meg ram
1 meg video ram
200 meg of swap
about 1.6 G of HD space

FYI, my first linux box about 20 years ago had 12megs of ram, a 400meg HD shared with Windows 3.11 and a 400meg HD on a 486/66. And I though I was flying because I could compile a kernel in 40 minutes!

Your HW is ok for running DeLi(cate). Even your first linux box would run with limitations, but run ...

Let me know whether there's anything I could help with. I'm currently preparing the next alpha CD .... of course better than alpha4 :]
05-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reply! I think the CDROM is ok in regards to the packages because I was able to install the X packages manually. I did select yes for the manual packages and saw the menu flash though the names in about 0.5 seconds. Swaps seems to be OK and memory usage is reasonable as well.

I thought I could find the part of the script that installs those packages and execute it manually after install. Maybe in the next alpha you could add that option to the delisetup program.
05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
(05-24-2014 05:41 PM)stev Wrote:  Thanks for the reply! I think the CDROM is ok in regards to the packages because I was able to install the X packages manually.

It could fail temporarily only.

(05-24-2014 05:41 PM)stev Wrote:  I did select yes for the manual packages and saw the menu flash though the names in about 0.5 seconds. Swaps seems to be OK and memory usage is reasonable as well.

I thought I could find the part of the script that installs those packages and execute it manually after install. Maybe in the next alpha you could add that option to the delisetup program.

You can switch to the fourth tty (ALT+F4) to check the pacman output. Of course you can scroll up/down with Shift+PgUp/Shift+PgDown. I'm curious whether the issue is reproducible on a regular basis or not. If so, then make photo or more photos of the 4th tty and attach here.
05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I've got a similar problem on my Thinkpad 760XL. I was also forced to boot from the two floppies as CD-ROM boot would hang at "loading stage 2...". Everything goes well until I am at the stage of letting it search for the CD-ROM drive. Deliinstall will find it but after selecting to install the packages, it a grey windows flashes up und then in the language setup I have no language to choose.
According to tty4, it can't mount the CD-Drive.

http://1drv.ms/SM2Wko
http://1drv.ms/SM3dE2
05-28-2014, 08:51 PM
(05-27-2014 08:21 PM)eggi36 Wrote:  I've got a similar problem on my Thinkpad 760XL. I was also forced to boot from the two floppies as CD-ROM boot would hang at "loading stage 2...". Everything goes well until I am at the stage of letting it search for the CD-ROM drive. Deliinstall will find it but after selecting to install the packages, it a grey windows flashes up und then in the language setup I have no language to choose.
According to tty4, it can't mount the CD-Drive.

http://1drv.ms/SM2Wko
http://1drv.ms/SM3dE2

Hello eggi36.

Your case is different ...
In your case the cd-rom was found, but something failed prior installing even the minimal system. How much RAM do you have? What is the size of your swap partition?

Thanks.
05-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Ram is 104 megabyte. More isn't possible. Swap is 200 megabyte.