Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boot from dos config
05-13-2014, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014 05:26 PM by willoe.)
Boot from dos config
Hello, and thank you in advance for saving older computers from being tossed in the dumpster.

Just to be clear, I am a Linux noob, and I am also a windowed environment user, with the exception of MS-DOS.

I have an old machine, that I refuse to throw away (specs at bottom), and I have MS-DOS as the booting OS, with a boot menu of 16bit graphical OS environments, but these are for novelty. For power I wanted to add a version of linux to my homemade DOS start menu.

I see that old BasicLinux 3.5 boots from DOS, and has a per-configured environment ready to go that can be launched from a batch file.

Can the latest Deli Linux be started from DOS? If so, does anyone have a config for this and/or detailed step-by-step instructions?

As a last resort, I guess I could tolerate a dual boot with Deli Linux and DOS 6.22, however I am a little hesitant in popping in the Deli CD and blowing my current config until I know it will recognize my system and offer a dual boot. Thots?

Lastly, see my specs below. I know Deli would run on it, but realistically, will it crawl? I am mainly concerned about using the web browser which is the biggest resource killer of any environment. Should I bother to put Deli on this machine, or maybe BasicLinux 3.5 is a better idea?

OLD RIG
Gateway 2000 Full Tower
486 4DX2 / 83MHz Pentium Overdrive
64MB RAM
4GB, 5400 RPM HD
2MB ATI MACH64 Video Card, ISA
Sound Blaster 16, ISA
3c509b 10-baseT Ethernet, ISA
DOS 6.22
Highest Reliable MS Windows Tested: Win98 (2000 works but crawls)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: Boot from dos config
(05-13-2014 05:23 PM)willoe Wrote:  Hello, and thank you in advance for saving older computers from being tossed in the dumpster.

Hello :]

(05-13-2014 05:23 PM)willoe Wrote:  Just to be clear, I am a Linux noob, and I am also a windowed environment user, with the exception of MS-DOS.

I have an old machine, that I refuse to throw away (specs at bottom), and I have MS-DOS as the booting OS, with a boot menu of 16bit graphical OS environments, but these are for novelty. For power I wanted to add a version of linux to my homemade DOS start menu.

I see that old BasicLinux 3.5 boots from DOS, and has a per-configured environment ready to go that can be launched from a batch file.

Can the latest Deli Linux be started from DOS? If so, does anyone have a config for this and/or detailed step-by-step instructions?

Hahah Smile The loader is called loadlin.exe and to be honest, I've never tried to use it with DeLi(cate) or DeLi kernels. Last time I used it, it must be at least 15 years ago. I could try just for fun, but don't see much sense in that. Is there anything wrong with the grub boot loader? It can boot your DOS/Win environment as well.

(05-13-2014 05:23 PM)willoe Wrote:  As a last resort, I guess I could tolerate a dual boot with Deli Linux and DOS 6.22, however I am a little hesitant in popping in the Deli CD and blowing my current config until I know it will recognize my system and offer a dual boot. Thots?

Currently there's no autodetection of other OSes in the installer, but configuring the dual boot manually is pretty easy. I can guide you, if you want. We can use the official IRC channel or other messenger clients/protocols.

(05-13-2014 05:23 PM)willoe Wrote:  Lastly, see my specs below. I know Deli would run on it, but realistically, will it crawl? I am mainly concerned about using the web browser which is the biggest resource killer of any environment. Should I bother to put Deli on this machine, or maybe BasicLinux 3.5 is a better idea?

OLD RIG
Gateway 2000 Full Tower
486 4DX2 / 83MHz Pentium Overdrive
64MB RAM
4GB, 5400 RPM HD
2MB ATI MACH64 Video Card, ISA
Sound Blaster 16, ISA
3c509b 10-baseT Ethernet, ISA
DOS 6.22
Highest Reliable MS Windows Tested: Win98 (2000 works but crawls)

Is it switchable from 486/DX2 to Pentium Overdrive? I also have Pentium Overdrive clocked at 83.1MHz, but it has only one Socket 3 and if I want to change it to 486DX4/100MHz, the Pentium Overdrive CPU needs to be removed first, so that the socket is free for the 486 CPU. Those 64MB are nice for browsing with Skipstone. I wanted to introduce more featured browsers for more powerful machines, but unless I hear feedback from people, it's a bit sad activity. Your HW config is nice. However, Java and Flash plugin is unrealistic on that machine, regardless of the OS in use.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Btw. I forgot to mention, that you can also run GRUB4DOS from your DOS environment and configure it to start DeLi(cate). So, at least 2 ways of booting linux from DOS exist.
05-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Please, tell me, how the harddrive is connected (primary/secondary, master/slave) and partitioned. Do you know, how to resize and move partitions (if needed) ?
05-14-2014, 03:48 PM

thanks for reply!

Answers:
  • The HD is a primary, with a non-bootable CD-ROM as a slave. Its got 2 partitions 2GB each.
  • Its Overdrive chip upgrades a 486DX 33-66MHz to 83MHz max, or SX to 63MHz, no 100MHz option

I can make a dedicated partition for Linux, just need to move some stuff around. Is 1GB enough? I need most of space for high-end dos games, the primary purpose of this machine. The purpose of linux is basically to play music and get on web to download more dos games

A pre-configured portable version of deli booting from a batch in dos would have a cool factor of great proportions, but that's just my silly opinion. But I can do a dual boot, I don't want to waste any of your time.

Do you have a brief readme on the config for that part of setup?

05-15-2014, 12:32 PM
(05-14-2014 03:48 PM)willoe Wrote:  I can make a dedicated partition for Linux, just need to move some stuff around. Is 1GB enough? I need most of space for high-end dos games, the primary purpose of this machine. The purpose of linux is basically to play music and get on web to download more dos games

1GB is sufficient for a limited set of packages ... but you can definitely run graphical environment with xmms media player and skipstone webbrowser. Pentium Overdrive 83MHz should be able to play OGG and MP3 in full quality, but very probably without equalizer or other effects.

(05-14-2014 03:48 PM)willoe Wrote:  A pre-configured portable version of deli booting from a batch in dos would have a cool factor of great proportions, but that's just my silly opinion. But I can do a dual boot, I don't want to waste any of your time.

It isn't time wasting. I like doing things if someone asks me and it's worthy to do it (=good idea).
But in this case it would be better to implement the DOS booting directly in the installer as it does a basic setup of the most important things. LOADLIN is licensed under the GPL v2.0 license and therefore can be included on the installation CD. Give me some time to think about that and possibly implement this feature.

(05-14-2014 03:48 PM)willoe Wrote:  Do you have a brief readme on the config for that part of setup?

Not yet.
05-16-2014, 06:09 PM
okay thanks, will start an install later today. If all goes well, I will create a little dualboot tutorial for us noobs.
05-19-2014, 08:02 AM
(05-16-2014 06:09 PM)willoe Wrote:  okay thanks, will start an install later today. If all goes well, I will create a little dualboot tutorial for us noobs.

I'll be on the IRC channel till 20:00 UTC+2. Let me help you.
06-01-2014, 11:14 PM
LOADLIN tested and works ...
07-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Hello.

The LOADLIN support is available on the recently released 0.1 alpha5 CD ...
please, test ...