Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
cfdisk - "Fatal Error: Cannot open disk drive".
12-07-2013, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 10:14 PM by nixlower0.)
Exclamation cfdisk - "Fatal Error: Cannot open disk drive".
Hello!
I have a friend's old computer - Intel Celeron (Mendocino) 466 MHz and 64 MB RAM (168pin DIMM SDRAM) and Seagate ST34313A 4.3 GB HDD .

Well my friend got installed on this 1999 PC, a Windows ME. I don't think with 64MB RAM it will be fast. So I decided to install a safe from virus and optimized for old and weak computers GNU/Linux distribution. First I prepared the hard drive from my Ubuntu 12.04, with Gparted (I formated to Ext4), then I installed Puppy Precise 5.7.1, but it was slow the most of times. So I asked for help on Porteus Linux forum and they told me about ConnochaetOS and I found it was based on now inactive Deli Linux. Later I found a still supported Deli fork - Deli(cate) with lower system requirements. So I stopped here.
I downloaded 0.1 alpha3 and 0.1 alpha3 rev 2, checked integrity with md5sum before burn a CD and after burn (I burned on the lowest speed).I did all like on installation manual and video, but every time I try to install Delicate, it is asking me for Linux partitions and run cfdisk, bur when I try to run cfdsik I get an error message:

FATAL ERROR: cannot open disk drive.

So I can't install this great OS. I even tried sudo cfdisk /dev/sdc from Ubuntu and made new partitions as on video, but the installer: deliinstall, still can't find any Linux partitions!
Please help me! Maybe I'm doing wrong something? I would like very much to install and run Deli(cate) on this old machine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 01:48 AM by tavvva.)
RE: cfdisk - "Fatal Error: Cannot open disk drive".
(12-07-2013 10:12 PM)nixlower0 Wrote:  Hello!
I have a friend's old computer - Intel Celeron (Mendocino) 466 MHz and 64 MB RAM (168pin DIMM SDRAM) and Seagate ST34313A 4.3 GB HDD .

Well my friend got installed on this 1999 PC, a Windows ME. I don't think with 64MB RAM it will be fast. So I decided to install a safe from virus and optimized for old and weak computers GNU/Linux distribution. First I prepared the hard drive from my Ubuntu 12.04, with Gparted (I formated to Ext4), then I installed Puppy Precise 5.7.1, but it was slow the most of times. So I asked for help on Porteus Linux forum and they told me about ConnochaetOS and I found it was based on now inactive Deli Linux. Later I found a still supported Deli fork - Deli(cate) with lower system requirements. So I stopped here.
I downloaded 0.1 alpha3 and 0.1 alpha3 rev 2, checked integrity with md5sum before burn a CD and after burn (I burned on the lowest speed).I did all like on installation manual and video, but every time I try to install Delicate, it is asking me for Linux partitions and run cfdisk, bur when I try to run cfdsik I get an error message:

FATAL ERROR: cannot open disk drive.

So I can't install this great OS. I even tried sudo cfdisk /dev/sdc from Ubuntu and made new partitions as on video, but the installer: deliinstall, still can't find any Linux partitions!
Please help me! Maybe I'm doing wrong something? I would like very much to install and run Deli(cate) on this old machine.

Hello. You're hitting a well known problem. By default the cfdisk expects /dev/hda device to be your harddrive .... if that isn't your case, then specify the right one.....

I guess cfdisk /dev/hdc could help :]

Please, let me know.

Thanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2013, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 02:26 PM by tavvva.)
Just a note ... whilst sdX device names do not depend on the IDE "position" (talking about primary/secondary port and master/slave jumpers), the hdX device names do depend on that stuff ...

/dev/hda - primary master
/dev/hdb - primary slave
/dev/hdc - secondary master
/dev/hdd - secondary slave
03-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Hi! Thanks for the answers and sorry for delay... Now I'm using other computers. I'm trying to install DeLi(cate) v0.1-alpha4 on an old 2.5" Toshiba MK3212MAT (3GB) hard drive. I tried several times on my newer pc (Athlon 64x2 6000+, M2N-E SLI) and on weaker and older pc (Atom 1.6GHz, GA-GC230D). I used the commands you suggested - cfdisk /dev/sda (aslo tried sdb, sdc, sdd), but nothing still this error. I even boot into Puppy Arcade and on Teminal run - "cfdisk" and made all partitions (Linux active and boot and Linux swap). But when I reboot my pc-s and try again - "deliinstall" or "setup", it's asking me for cfdisk, but when I use "cfdisk" or "cfdsik /dev/sdX" (X= a, b, c or d), still have "Fatal Error: Cannot open disk drive. No Linux partitions found". What can I do?

I have an old RoverBook laptop (Celeron MMX 400Mhz and 32MB RAM), I wanted to reanimate it with DeLi(cate). The CD drive isn't bootable or doesn't woking (I checked on the BIOS, even used PloP floppy to boot from external usb CD drive, but that is not working. So I extracked the hdd from the laptop and connected it to a usb-ide-sata cable).

Thanks for future answers!
03-26-2014, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 08:03 PM by tavvva.)
(03-23-2014 03:56 PM)nixlower0 Wrote:  Hi! Thanks for the answers and sorry for delay... Now I'm using other computers. I'm trying to install DeLi(cate) v0.1-alpha4 on an old 2.5" Toshiba MK3212MAT (3GB) hard drive.

Hiya.

This shouldn't be a problem.

(03-23-2014 03:56 PM)nixlower0 Wrote:  I tried several times on my newer pc (Athlon 64x2 6000+, M2N-E SLI) and on weaker and older pc (Atom 1.6GHz, GA-GC230D).

This IS a problem ... Both of them are too young for DeLi(cate). DeLi(cate) is targetted at very old 32-bit computers (= Pentium 3 and older).
The hardware mentioned by you is 64-bit and the controllers inside are SATA and so do the harddrives. All 64-bit computers are able to run more featured Linux distributions without performance losses. DeLi(cate) cannot benefit from 64-bit operations as it is compiled for i386 and therefore unsuitable for any 64-bit hardware.

(03-23-2014 03:56 PM)nixlower0 Wrote:  I used the commands you suggested - cfdisk /dev/sda (aslo tried sdb, sdc, sdd), but nothing still this error. I even boot into Puppy Arcade and on Teminal run - "cfdisk" and made all partitions (Linux active and boot and Linux swap).

Puppy has a 2.6-series kernel that supports your hardware well. DeLi(cate) has a 2.4-series kernel, that doesn't have support for your hardware and that's intentional.

(03-23-2014 03:56 PM)nixlower0 Wrote:  I have an old RoverBook laptop (Celeron MMX 400Mhz and 32MB RAM), I wanted to reanimate it with DeLi(cate).

This is an ideal candidate for DeLi(cate).

(03-23-2014 03:56 PM)nixlower0 Wrote:  The CD drive isn't bootable or doesn't woking (I checked on the BIOS, even used PloP floppy to boot from external usb CD drive, but that is not working. So I extracked the hdd from the laptop and connected it to a usb-ide-sata cable).

Thanks for future answers!

More ways of installation without CDROM exist.
1.) Floppy + Network (you need to have a supported network card)
2.) Floppy + serial cable
3.) Floppy + installation image copied on a FAT partition of the harddrive
4.) Installation on a different computer using usb-to-ide cable/rack and qemu

The following wiki page contains relevant info about the qemu settings:
http://delicate-linux.net/wiki/index.php/Qemu

... you're interested in the last example ... just replace /dev/sdX with the device name of the usb-to-ide connected harddrive ... BE CAREFUL AND DOUBLE CHECK THE DEVICE NAME IN ORDER TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL OVERWRITING OF YOUR DATA!
03-31-2017, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 10:25 PM by nixlower0.)
Hi tavvva!
I am interested again on getting a new life on my friend's old laptop.
The CD drive is not working (or it can't read my CD-RW disks and my DVD-R and RW), my floppy drive (on my main PC is not working anymore Sad ) and I don't have any PCMCIA card. This laptop don't even have a LAN network card, only an IRDA (not sure if I am correct, but it have some kind of infrared port). Is my situation hopeless?
I have an USB LAN card, a WIFI USB. I also have a working USB to Serial (and and a serial port on the laptop), I have a IDE, SATA, mini IDE (I don't know if is that correct) to USB converter (so I can connect my IDE or SATA DVD drive to my PC or maybe to my laptop, too). If any of this ways would work it will be very good news to me.
By the way. Can I partition and install some bootloader and or OS and then from there install Deli(cate)? Is that possible? Or if I didn't missunderstanded you about Qemu, I can simulate my laptop's hardware, install Deli(cate) and then copy the virtual drive image to the real drive of my laptop.

PS. I see there are some Finnish and Chec or Polish spammers on the forum. Maybe you should add some registering confirmation and block this spammers. (you know what to do).
Thank you for the answer in advance.