Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there a way to start services in the background during boot up?
03-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Is there a way to start services in the background during boot up?
Hi,
Sometimes I boot up my computer with no Network Interface Card inserted in the slot and, of course, there is a long delay (2 minutes) while nothing happens in bringing up the network. It's not a biggie, but I'm curious if there is already exists an easy way to start this in the background?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: Is there a way to start services in the background during boot up?
(03-08-2013 01:59 AM)westcoaster Wrote:  Hi,
Sometimes I boot up my computer with no Network Interface Card inserted in the slot and, of course, there is a long delay (2 minutes) while nothing happens in bringing up the network. It's not a biggie, but I'm curious if there is already exists an easy way to start this in the background?

Hi ... eliminating this network service delay is already in the TODO list :] I can always try to change my priorities according to wishes of users active on this forum ... and that's you right now. So ... give me some time to think and fix that ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2013, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 10:12 AM by tavvva.)
Please, update delitools to 0.8.1.16-1 and repeat the network configuration ...
That should regenerate your rc script to timeout in 10 seconds instead of 2 minutes ...

... and of course ... let me know about the result
03-08-2013, 06:46 PM
(03-08-2013 10:11 AM)tavvva Wrote:  Please, update delitools to 0.8.1.16-1 and repeat the network configuration ...
That should regenerate your rc script to timeout in 10 seconds instead of 2 minutes ...

... and of course ... let me know about the result
Hi Tavvva,
Thanks for doing that--I asked because I wasn't sure if you had already implemented a fix Big Grin

I tried it on two setups and it works fine. If I boot without a network card inserted I can't even tell there is any timeout at all. When I later insert a network card, I can easily connect by manually bringing up the interface, etc.
03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
(03-08-2013 06:46 PM)westcoaster Wrote:  When I later insert a network card, I can easily connect by manually bringing up the interface, etc.

yup ... simply do:
service net start

... moving this to RESOLVED
03-09-2013, 06:12 AM
(03-08-2013 09:46 PM)tavvva Wrote:  yup ... simply do:
service net start

Of course....that's definitely more elegant! Tongue