Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Midnight Commander display is messed up in the Console
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 12:19 AM by westcoaster.)
Midnight Commander display is messed up in the Console
Hi,
In my new install of Delicate, the Midnight Commander display is messed up and pretty much unusable in the console, while it looks normal in an xterm. This is the latest version of Midnight Commander, 4.7.5.2-3.

EDIT: Well, suddenly life just got better, although I don't exactly know why. I just happened to "reset" the console before starting Midnight Commander, and now it displays normally, so all the stuff below might just be of academic interest only....

I don't know if I'm on the right track or not, but after Googling a bit I checked F9 -> Options -> Display Bits, which shows

Code:
Input / display codepage:
7-bit ASCII

[x] Full 8 bits input

However, the "Display bits" dialogue in a properly functioning Midnight Commander (on a different install of Delicate) shows

Code:
Input / display codepage:
UTF-8

[x] Full 8 bits input

There is an option to select a different display codepage (for example, UTF-8), but after restarting Midnight Commander the selection always reverts back to its previous value (7-bit ASCII). Is this because Midnight Commander somehow detects the "appropriate" codepage?

I had Delicate installed previously on this computer (Acer Extensa 368D, 233MHz), and I'm pretty sure I didn't have this particular problem. Am I even in the ballpark? Tongue How do I get this to display properly?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
RE: Midnight Commander display is messed up in the Console
Please, enter the following from the root account:

tar czf /tmp/data.tgz /etc/rc /etc/rc.conf /etc/profile

and attach the resulting /tmp/data.tgz here ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2013, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 01:02 AM by westcoaster.)
(03-06-2013 11:54 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Please, enter the following from the root account:

tar czf /tmp/data.tgz /etc/rc /etc/rc.conf /etc/profile

and attach the resulting /tmp/data.tgz here ...
Hi Tavvva,
That's a pretty quick response. Big Grin I edited the top of my previous post because I typed "reset" before starting Midnight Commander in a console, and it displayed correctly. Any idea why?

Anyhow, I've attached the file you wanted.

EDIT: I'm getting this message when I try to attach the file
Code:
The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type.

The file looks ok to me....This is my first time with attachments here, so I must be doing something wrong. Sigh... I'll keep trying.

Ok here is the attachment which I had to rename as "data.txt" because I wasn't allowed to attach the .tgz file....

Attached File(s)
.txt  data.txt (Size: 2.09 KB / Downloads: 5)
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Sorry ... only .tar.gz was enabled ... anyway ... I've added .tgz to the list of supported extensions ...

and now back to your MC problem .... you somehow managed to skip the language configuration during the installation .... maybe something went wrong during the installation?

Try to configure the language in the delisetup this way ...

unicode_stop
delisetup
reboot
03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
(03-07-2013 09:30 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Sorry ... only .tar.gz was enabled ... anyway ... I've added .tgz to the list of supported extensions ...

and now back to your MC problem .... you somehow managed to skip the language configuration during the installation .... maybe something went wrong during the installation?

Try to configure the language in the delisetup this way ...

unicode_stop
delisetup
reboot

Thanks, it worked!Big Grin It must be the
Code:
export LANG='C'

line in /etc/profile that clued you in.Wink

You are probably right that I somehow missed configuring the language because I reinstalled Delicate a few times in a row (I can't remember why at the moment), so I was likely being sloppy the last time.

I also found that resetting the console worked to properly display Midnight Commander, but this new UTF-8 version version looks cleaner (no gaps between the line characters, for example).
03-08-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm happy it works now .... moving to RESOLVED