Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
low bandwidth web site recommendations
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
low bandwidth web site recommendations
Anyone have recommendations for web sites that work on slow Internet connections/connections with low bandwidth? Am interested in news or web portal sites, but would appreciate any recommendations in general.

Sometimes I try mobile versions of sites that may be optimized for bandwidth and most forums usually work pretty well. Lynx friendly sites typically load well too. I optimize my own web site for low bandwidth computers. I've also seen some users with older computers recommend programs like surfraw. Would be interested in other tips for machines with slow Internet access and any pointers to sites that load well on low bandwidth systems. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2013, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 11:28 PM by tavvva.)
RE: low bandwidth web site recommendations
(01-21-2013 03:33 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  Anyone have recommendations for web sites that work on slow Internet connections/connections with low bandwidth? Am interested in news or web portal sites, but would appreciate any recommendations in general.

Sometimes I try mobile versions of sites that may be optimized for bandwidth and most forums usually work pretty well. Lynx friendly sites typically load well too. I optimize my own web site for low bandwidth computers. I've also seen some users with older computers recommend programs like surfraw. Would be interested in other tips for machines with slow Internet access and any pointers to sites that load well on low bandwidth systems. Thanks.

Hi :] If it's a plain HTML/PHP without large and high quality images, then it's almost always ok. You can additionally keep the page sources well readable and then postprocess them -> remove all whitespaces and line wrappings to save some bytes :]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Using something like lynx and only using mobile sites is your best bet. I know Opera has a thing called Turbo which compresses web pages and such, but I don't know how it'd run on Delicate.

My Delicate Linux repository
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
(02-02-2013 06:56 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  Using something like lynx and only using mobile sites is your best bet. I know Opera has a thing called Turbo which compresses web pages and such, but I don't know how it'd run on Delicate.

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I'm doing, looking mainly at mobile sites. The other thing I'm looking into is RSS feeds. That way you can get the highlights and only need to bring up the web page if you want the details.

Been checking into RSS reader programs out there. There are several console ones including: nrss, newsbeuter, snownews, rsstail. Maybe someone knows of others or has recommendations on what they like best among these? I've been using quite-rss on another system and I'm really starting to get used to it.
02-05-2013, 07:50 AM
(02-04-2013 03:12 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 06:56 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  Using something like lynx and only using mobile sites is your best bet. I know Opera has a thing called Turbo which compresses web pages and such, but I don't know how it'd run on Delicate.

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I'm doing, looking mainly at mobile sites. The other thing I'm looking into is RSS feeds. That way you can get the highlights and only need to bring up the web page if you want the details.

Been checking into RSS reader programs out there. There are several console ones including: nrss, newsbeuter, snownews, rsstail. Maybe someone knows of others or has recommendations on what they like best among these? I've been using quite-rss on another system and I'm really starting to get used to it.

Never used a command line only RSS reader, but this may be of help: http://tinyapps.org/blog/nix/20070817070...aders.html

My Delicate Linux repository