Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
V new, advice please! P1 Thinkpad 16MB
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 08:32 PM by kararichard.)
V new, advice please! P1 Thinkpad 16MB
Good evening all and Happy New Year!
Not sure if this is the right heading, think probably not but didn't know where to start....
I'm embarking on a bit of a journey and reckon I need some help and advice from people who know a great deal more than me.
I want to make sure that my kids learn a bit more than how to "swipe" their way around some very slick software and my Dad agreed so much that he wanted to get involved. He suggested buying the Raspberry Pi, but all the stuff I read said I was better off getting an old laptop and installing some appropriate version of a Linux OS.
So..... I have picked up an IBM Thinkpad, Pentium 1, 16MB RAM and 538MB HDD. From all the bits I've been able to find, I've now (finally) landed at the right place, but I wanted to check with you that I was on the right track, ask which version I should go for and see if there is an idiot's guide on how/what to do (being a bear of VERY little brain!).
Any comments very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2013, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 10:03 PM by tavvva.)
RE: V new, advice please! P1 Thinkpad 16MB
(01-12-2013 07:50 PM)kararichard Wrote:  Good evening all and Happy New Year!
Not sure if this is the right heading, think probably not but didn't know where to start....
I'm embarking on a bit of a journey and reckon I need some help and advice from people who know a great deal more than me.
I want to make sure that my kids learn a bit more than how to "swipe" their way around some very slick software and my Dad agreed so much that he wanted to get involved. He suggested buying the Raspberry Pi, but all the stuff I read said I was better off getting an old laptop and installing some appropriate version of a Linux OS.
So..... I have picked up an IBM Thinkpad, Pentium 1, 16MB RAM and 538MB HDD. From all the bits I've been able to find, I've now (finally) landed at the right place, but I wanted to check with you that I was on the right track, ask which version I should go for and see if there is an idiot's guide on how/what to do (being a bear of VERY little brain!).
Thanks.
Richard

Hello Richard.

Raspberry Pi is also very nice piece of hardware and more powerful than the IBM ThinkPad with Pentium 1 CPU :] I also develop Fedora Linux for ARM platforms and the RPi image works very well. Anyway ... let's get back to the IBM ThinkPad and DeLi(cate).

DeLi(cate) is a kind of old school Linux distribution and even if we're trying to make it user-friendly, it still might be too difficult for children. Don't know how old they are and how much experience with computers they have. But to be honest, you don't have much choices with such old hardware. I personally believe, that this distro is the best choice even if it is still in the alpha stage. If you wanna try DeLi(cate), then download the latest CD available right now and that's the 0.1alpha3 rev2 .... http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/download/i...3-rev2.iso

Installation videos are available here ...
http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=180

But they're for 0.1alpha2 and some menu entries or installation dialogs might differ a bit. I should take new ones soon.

If you need help, then don't hesitate to contact me. I'm available on IRC and email. If you have a different messenger client (Jabber, ICQ, ...) we can use that way too ...

Our wiki page is unfortunately still under construction, since we have a lack of active staff right now.

One note .... the harddrive space might be a problem. You can't have all the available software installed. Define 80MB of swap space at the beginning of the harddrive. Use the second installation method (unpacking without package cache). That can save some space. And do not install default package sets (since they're too big to fit). This could make the installation process more complicated. You will have to install only necessary packages after the first boot.

Once you have the basic installation finished, then contact me again. I'll tell you the rest of the story.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
(01-13-2013 09:28 PM)tavvva Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 07:50 PM)kararichard Wrote:  Good evening all and Happy New Year!
Thanks.
Richard

Hello Richard.

Raspberry Pi is also very nice piece of hardware and more powerful than the IBM ThinkPad with Pentium 1 CPU :] I also develop Fedora Linux for ARM platforms and the RPi image works very well. Anyway ... let's get back to the IBM ThinkPad and DeLi(cate).

DeLi(cate) is a kind of old school Linux distribution and even if we're trying to make it user-friendly, it still might be too difficult for children. Don't know how old they are and how much experience with computers they have. But to be honest, you don't have much choices with such old hardware. I personally believe, that this distro is the best choice even if it is still in the alpha stage. If you wanna try DeLi(cate), then download the latest CD available right now and that's the 0.1alpha3 rev2 .... http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/download/i...3-rev2.iso

Installation videos are available here ...
http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=180

But they're for 0.1alpha2 and some menu entries or installation dialogs might differ a bit. I should take new ones soon.

If you need help, then don't hesitate to contact me. I'm available on IRC and email. If you have a different messenger client (Jabber, ICQ, ...) we can use that way too ...

Hiya.
Thanks, this is a great help. I'll come back to you if (when!) I need more help!
Cheers! R
01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
I added some more notes at the end of my first response .... so .... please, read my comment again :]
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
(01-13-2013 10:05 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I added some more notes at the end of my first response .... so .... please, read my comment again :]

Great, will do, thanks again. Back to you in due course.
01-13-2013, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 10:47 PM by tavvva.)
(01-13-2013 10:14 PM)kararichard Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 10:05 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I added some more notes at the end of my first response .... so .... please, read my comment again :]

Is that the 365XD model ?
Gonna move this thread to the "Support" category soon ....
01-13-2013, 11:27 PM
(01-13-2013 10:19 PM)tavvva Wrote:  

Hiya.
Understood about moving to support - quite right!
The Thinkpad says 755CX on the casing, but the system information I can get out of it (a crumbling install of Win95 doesn't help) said "Pentium, 16MB RAM and 538MB disk". I can't find anything more.... Does that tell you more/enough?
01-14-2013, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 10:21 PM by tavvva.)
(01-13-2013 11:27 PM)kararichard Wrote:  

Hiya.
The Thinkpad says 755CX on the casing, but the system information I can get out of it (a crumbling install of Win95 doesn't help) said "Pentium, 16MB RAM and 538MB disk". I can't find anything more.... Does that tell you more/enough?

Yes, thank you. I was just curious :]
Any progress? You'll have only 140MB of free space after the minimal installation. That's not much, but it's enough for a smaller set of selected applications. I'm gonna change the minimal requirements on the homepage. 300MB is the theoretical minimum, but that applies to a system with enough RAM where a swap space isn't needed.
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
(01-14-2013 10:17 PM)tavvva Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 11:27 PM)kararichard Wrote:  

Hiya.

Yes, thank you. I was just curious :]
Any progress? You'll have only 140MB of free space after the minimal installation. That's not much, but it's enough for a smaller set of selected applications.

Hiya.
No progress as I'm having issues with dead floppy drive/absence of internet connectivity (no PCMCIA card) and therefore struggling to start any install.... I'm rounding up the more literate of my friends!
01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
(01-14-2013 10:24 PM)kararichard Wrote:  Hiya.
No progress as I'm having issues with dead floppy drive/absence of internet connectivity (no PCMCIA card) and therefore struggling to start any install.... I'm rounding up the more literate of my friends!

IBM ThinkPad 755CX should support booting from CD. Have you tried that?