Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best way to globally change console font?
09-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Best way to globally change console font?
Hi,
I was trying to globally change the console font from the default 8x16 font to an 8x14 font, so that for all users I could have more lines on the screen and more characters per line.

Is /etc/rc.conf the proper place to do this? I ask this because when I change the font in /etc/rc.conf to another unicode font that I like (drdos8x14 or cp850-8x14), upon reboot the console font temporarily changes to my desired font during the boot messages, however when the login screen appears, the font reverts back to what I think is the old LatArCyrHeb-16 font. This can be seen most easily by choosing an extreme font for /etc/rc.conf, such as LatArCyrHeb-08.

I wonder if this behaviour is expected? I think it's coming from /usr/bin/unicode_start, when /etc/profile is executed, but I can't read scripts well enough to understand what is going on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 04:27 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Best way to globally change console font?
Hi ... the issue is caused by two things ..... the unicode_start call is missing the first parameter (font) and the rc script is not correct (I tried to fix it in the past, but apparently not very well) ... The solution needs more changes ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 05:11 PM
(09-24-2012 04:27 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Hi ... the issue is caused by two things ..... the unicode_start call is missing the first parameter (font) and the rc script is not correct (I tried to fix it in the past, but apparently not very well) ... The solution needs more changes ....

Thanks for explaining that. For now maybe it's best just to append something like
Code:
setfont drdos8x14
to /etc/profile?
09-26-2012, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 05:47 PM by tavvva.)
(09-24-2012 05:11 PM)westcoaster Wrote:  
(09-24-2012 04:27 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Hi ... the issue is caused by two things ..... the unicode_start call is missing the first parameter (font) and the rc script is not correct (I tried to fix it in the past, but apparently not very well) ... The solution needs more changes ....

Thanks for explaining that. For now maybe it's best just to append something like
Code:
setfont drdos8x14
to /etc/profile?

nope .... just give the unicode_start script the font name as the first parameter ....

example:
unicode_start drdos8x14

but that would change the font right after the login ..... if you wanna have the font correctly set prior to the login, then you could try to put the setfont command in the /etc/rc.local script as a workaround till I fix the rc script ....
09-27-2012, 06:40 AM
(09-26-2012 05:44 PM)tavvva Wrote:  nope .... just give the unicode_start script the font name as the first parameter ....

Thanks Tavvva, that works just fine!Big Grin
09-28-2012, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 01:02 PM by tavvva.)
I've finally fixed that .... could you please test the fix by changing everything back to the previous state and install/update the delicate_0.1 package? The rc.conf settings should be correctly applied in both stages once this (+reboot) is done ...

We still need to propagate the changes to the CD images, but I'll do that with the next image creation ...
09-29-2012, 05:24 PM
(09-28-2012 12:59 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I've finally fixed that .... could you please test the fix by changing everything back to the previous state and install/update the delicate_0.1 package? The rc.conf settings should be correctly applied in both stages once this (+reboot) is done ...

We still need to propagate the changes to the CD images, but I'll do that with the next image creation ...

This is what I get when I try to install delicate_0.1. I tried it on two coputers, one of which was a pretty fresh install of DeLi(cate). Am I doing something stupid?Dodgy
Code:
bash-3.2# pacman -Ss delicate_0.1
main/delicate_0.1 0.1-2

bash-3.2# pacman -Qi delicate_0.1
Package "delicate_0.1" was not found.

bash-3.2# pacman -S delicate_0.1

Targets: delicate_0.1-0.1-2

Total Package Size:   0.1 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n]

checking package integrity... done.
loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts...
error: the following file conflicts were found:
  delicate_0.1: /usr/bin/delicate: exists in filesystem

errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

bash-3.2#
09-29-2012, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2012 06:14 PM by tavvva.)
It's ok .... this package is intended to be used for upgrade from DeLi 0.8 to DeLi(cate) 0.1 .... I just wanna know if it solves the problem in your case :]
09-29-2012, 06:41 PM
(09-29-2012 06:13 PM)tavvva Wrote:  It's ok .... this package is intended to be used for upgrade from DeLi 0.8 to DeLi(cate) 0.1 .... I just wanna know if it solves the problem in your case :]
Well, if installing/updating the delicate_0.1 package is supposed to fix the problem, then no it's not working because I can't install the package and there were no other upgrades to the system.

That's why I'm wondering if I am being particularly dense today.
09-30-2012, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 03:24 PM by tavvva.)
(09-29-2012 06:41 PM)westcoaster Wrote:  
(09-29-2012 06:13 PM)tavvva Wrote:  It's ok .... this package is intended to be used for upgrade from DeLi 0.8 to DeLi(cate) 0.1 .... I just wanna know if it solves the problem in your case :]
Well, if installing/updating the delicate_0.1 package is supposed to fix the problem, then no it's not working because I can't install the package and there were no other upgrades to the system.

That's why I'm wondering if I am being particularly dense today.

Arghhh .... sorry, I somehow skipped that bottom part .... you need to install it with force option, since it conflicts with the filesystem package ...

pacman -Sf delicate_0.1

Don't forget to put everything back to the previous state prior to the install .... otherwise the scriptlets will fail ...