Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PLOP and Smart Boot Manager
09-12-2012, 06:38 AM
PLOP and Smart Boot Manager
Hi, I recently had problems using a couple of floppy boot managers to install Deli(cate) on a laptop that has no BIOS support for booting from cdrom. I tried both boot managers on another operating system and they worked flawlessly, but on Deli(cate) they both gave problems, although I did eventually have success with one of them. So, I thought I would leave a note here in case others encounter the same problem.

I tried two boot managers. The first was PLOP Boot Manager, rev 5.0.10. This one simply dumped me into a Grub command line prompt with nowhere to go from there.

The second was Smart Boot Manager, rev. 3.7.1 (contained in the All in One Boot Floppy, rev 1.0). Smart Boot Manager stopped with the message "Disk error! 0xAA". I thought I was stuck, but I Googled this error and it turns out that sometimes just hitting the Enter key a few times causes Smart Boot Manager to continue the booting process. I tried that and in the end I got the Deli(cate) Grub menu and I was able to continue the install. I don't know what the error means or why pressing the Enter key seems to clear it, but at least it works!Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 08:12 AM
RE: PLOP and Smart Boot Manager
Thanks for reporting your experience. Once I get some time, I'll try out PLOP and perhaps Smart Boot Manager and see what the problem is.

My Delicate Linux repository
09-13-2012, 05:16 AM
(09-12-2012 08:12 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  Thanks for reporting your experience. Once I get some time, I'll try out PLOP and perhaps Smart Boot Manager and see what the problem is.

That sounds greatSmile Figuring out how to boot reliably seems pretty important.

I just tried these boot managers on a couple of other laptops. Both laptops will boot from cdrom, but that shouldn't matter. I used the Delicate install image burned at slow speed to a CD-R rather than a CD-RW, which can be less reliable or even unreadable with this old hardware.

Compaq Presario 1245 (AMD K6)
Smart Boot Manager: Worked as expected.
PLOP: Stopped at a Grub command line.

Compaq Presario 1210 (Pentium 150 MHz)
Smart Boot Manager: "Error 0xAA" but could not get past it.
PLOP: "CD not bootable"

Hmm....I can boot the Compaq Presario 1245 with only one boot manager, and I can't boot the Compaq Presario 1210 with either of them. Is it something to do with the boot managers, the hardware, the cdrom image?Huh

So I tried DSL4.4.6 (well established--should have a lot of bugs worked out, etc).
Compaq Presario 1245
Smart Boot Manager: Worked as expected.
PLOP: Worked as expected

Compaq Presario 1210
Smart Boot Manager: "Error 0xAA" but can't get past it.
PLOP: "CD not Bootable"

So I don't know what to think except that booting these old computers isn't straight forward.

Something that may be helpful is that Smart Boot Manager has an option to "Set CD-ROM I/O Ports"--is this in case the computer's cdrom I/O ports are not the standard ones?

Maybe I'll try some more boot managers to see if I can find one that works. Smile
09-13-2012, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 12:09 PM by tavvva.)
Hi guys ... we've already discussed this topic and it seems we need to introduce a syslinux image ...

I know about the 0xAA error in SmartBoot .... but the retry with Enter always worked for me, so ... I don't know why it fails in your case. Btw. the CDROM image contains DeLi(cate) boot floppy image with SmartBoot manager module ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2012, 07:12 AM
(09-13-2012 12:07 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Hi guys ... we've already discussed this topic and it seems we need to introduce a syslinux image ...

Oops, I'm sorry if I brought up something you already covered elsewhere....

Quote:I know about the 0xAA error in SmartBoot .... but the retry with Enter always worked for me, so ... I don't know why it fails in your case.

Well, I'll play around a bit more with that laptop to see if I can get it to behave better.

Quote: Btw. the CDROM image contains DeLi(cate) boot floppy image with SmartBoot manager module ...

I was going to ask if there is a recommended boot manager, but you've just answered my question. Although I never thought of it, it makes sense to check the cdrom image to find itBig Grin
09-14-2012, 08:15 AM
(09-14-2012 07:12 AM)westcoaster Wrote:  Oops, I'm sorry if I brought up something you already covered elsewhere....

No need for excuses ... it's impossible to read the whole forum and sometimes it's better to remind some topic ... currently we have a lack of human resources and many tasks are waiting for our attention :/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user