Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Compaq Presario 1245
09-02-2012, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 06:09 AM by westcoaster.)
Compaq Presario 1245
CPU: AMD K6-2 3DNow, 328 Mhz
RAM: 160 MB

Floppy: works
Cdrom: works
PCMCIA: works
Modules needed:
ds
yenta_socket
In pcmciaconfig, select "kernel built-in modules"

USB: Mass Storage not working for one type of flash drive (Kensington DataTraveler)
Human Interface Device working
Modules needed:
hid
usb_storage
usb_ohci
sd_mod

Sound: works
Modules needed:
opl3 io=0x388
sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330
sound dmabuf=1
In sndconfig select ESS1688

Video: works
Xorg drivers:
vesa
neomagic (works better than vesa for 24 bit colour).
Xfbdev works
Xvesa doesn't work with NeoMagic video card.

TouchPad: works
Xorg device file:
/dev/psaux

Can't enable ACPI (don't know how?)
ACPI seems not to be supported, so use apm to turn off the power at shutdown.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: Compaq Presario 1245
Hello :] Thanks for the feedback.

(09-02-2012 04:36 AM)westcoaster Wrote:  USB: Mass Storage not working for one type of flash drive (Kensington DataTraveler)

This is not nice. Unfortunatelly it's almost unreal to get support from the kernel team for 2.4 series kernels and searching in kernel sources & backporting might be pretty time consuming. Hopefully this will find it's timeframe one day.

(09-02-2012 04:36 AM)westcoaster Wrote:  Can't enable ACPI (don't know how?)
Use apm to turn off the power at shutdown.

If your hardware supports ACPI, then it's enabled by selection of the first entry in the GRUB bootloader. The second entry is marked with [acpi=off] and can be used for computers with broken or no ACPI support. No universal solution exists in this case and this needs to be tested and documented. Workarounds might exist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi
Quote: it's almost unreal to get support from the kernel team for 2.4 series kernels

I read somewhere that the 2.4 kernel has recently reached its end of life. Does this mean there is no official support any longer and that individual developers (like you) are on their own when it comes to fixing bugs? If so, it seems like a big job. So if these problems with usb detection are not too widespread then maybe you don't have to worry about it too much for now?Smile

Quote:Can't enable ACPI (don't know how?)
Use apm to turn off the power at shutdown.

I wrote that because I thought ACPI might be supported, but looking at the messages below I guess that's not the case? Generally, on what type of hardware (or maybe what year?) does ACPI become commonly supported? Thanks for your input on this. I find it all very confusing...Dodgy
Code:
dmesg | grep ACPI

ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040326
ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
The latest available 2.4.x kernel (currently used by us) is more than a year old and I don't expect new 2.4.x versions ... but it's still pretty sufficient for ancient hardware and we can maintain our local patches without being dependent on upstream ... just the human resources could be a problem. Not many developers want to maintain such an obsolete stuff :] Just crazy ones (like me).
I see one issue here ... and that's mixing of recent peripherals with old PCs. Typically USB WiFi cards. I'm aware of the limitations here and it's actually my daily dilemma.

ACPI is older than Presario 1245 and the laptop might be ACPI compliant, but probably just not supported properly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user