Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how can I get a simple desktop from the core cli
09-01-2012, 12:12 AM
how can I get a simple desktop from the core cli
Hi, I have just installed the deli 8 core iso to my hard drive. This logs into a command prompt so I need to get a desktop/gui. Can anyone please let me know exactly which packages I now need to download in order to get a simple desktop/gui? Thanks,
davec60
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:03 AM by tavvva.)
RE: how can I get a simple desktop from the core cli
(09-01-2012 12:12 AM)davec60 Wrote:  Hi, I have just installed the deli 8 core iso to my hard drive. This logs into a command prompt so I need to get a desktop/gui. Can anyone please let me know exactly which packages I now need to download in order to get a simple desktop/gui? Thanks,
davec60

Hello David.

DeLi 0.8 is not maintained anymore and I recommend you to update to the fork project DeLi(cate) 0.1. It fixes many issues and makes the configuration a bit easier while still keeping the same resource consumption and most of the basic ideas.
I don't want to force you to upgrade if you wanna keep DeLi 0.8, but be prepared for strange issues.

It's possible you have all the needed packages already installed.

Packages needed:
xorg-server
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-video-vesa
xf86-video-fbdev
xf86-video-vga
icewm
xterm

You can try to configure the Xserver (GUI) using the delisetup tool, but the Xorg configuration tool in DeLi 0.8 suffers from UTF-8 transition related issues and the configuration menu gets broken and not very well readable.
You need to do this step from the root account.
Once this is done, switch to the regular user account and run delisetup again. Then configure the WM (Window manager). The GUI can be started with startx (if everything went well).

Please, let me know if you need more detailed help.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your reply. I may well take you up on your offer of more detailed help.
Before I can make any further progress with Deli 0.8 (or even 'upgrade' to Delicate) I need to be able to connect to the internet via an USB modem (my only option) which also first needs to be 'switched'. When faced with a similiar situation with other linux OS's I often copy and paste in all relevant files (via Puppy Linux) such as usb-modeswitch, usb-modeswitch data, wvdial, wvstreams etc. and it usually works OK to get me connected. However, having followed the exact same procedure in this case, I am getting messages back from the deli command prompt such as, for example, /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch: no such file or directory and /usr/bin/wvdialconf: no such file or directory even though such files and directories are definitely there.
1)I wonder whether I need to add something to the beginning of the file path (such as the device or partition?) to help deli find the files that I want to execute? Or, does deli simply not recognise files that it has not installed itself?
2)Is an 'option' module available for deli (usually found in /lib/modules/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ ?
3)Incidentally, when 'upgrading' from deli 0.8 to delicate (as opposed to downloading the full delicate CD) how large is the 'upgrade' in Mb?
I appreciate that I don't 'need' to do any of this ie. I know that I can simply download the full delicate CD (even though I am not keen on large downloads eg. over 300mb); but I was hoping to do what I have been trying to do simply as 'an exercise' in order to try and 'learn something' eg. about operating at the command line, about switching a modem and getting a successful USB modem connection with a 'core' CLI and about adding my own GUI etc. Thanks,
davec60
09-03-2012, 11:04 PM
(09-03-2012 07:35 PM)davec60 Wrote:  Thanks for your reply. I may well take you up on your offer of more detailed help.
Before I can make any further progress with Deli 0.8 (or even 'upgrade' to Delicate) I need to be able to connect to the internet via an USB modem (my only option) which also first needs to be 'switched'. When faced with a similiar situation with other linux OS's I often copy and paste in all relevant files (via Puppy Linux) such as usb-modeswitch, usb-modeswitch data, wvdial, wvstreams etc. and it usually works OK to get me connected. However, having followed the exact same procedure in this case, I am getting messages back from the deli command prompt such as, for example, /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch: no such file or directory and /usr/bin/wvdialconf: no such file or directory even though such files and directories are definitely there.
1)I wonder whether I need to add something to the beginning of the file path (such as the device or partition?) to help deli find the files that I want to execute? Or, does deli simply not recognise files that it has not installed itself?

Well. This might be a bit tricky. You're apparently trying to execute foreign binaries linked against GLIBC and maybe other libraries, which are not installed on your system. DeLi and DeLi(cate) is based on lightweight GLIBC replacement called UCLIBC and If you execute ldd /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch, then you'll get a list of all shared libraries which are needed for the proper run. All of them need to be present on the system, but some of them might conflict and these could have a different and incompatible interface (typically libc X uclibc) and thus cannot be replaced, because that could kill the whole system. We would have to build the mentioned modem tools for you and put them on the installation CD. There's probably no easy workaround. You would need completely statically linked versions of the tools (those would work on any system).

(09-03-2012 07:35 PM)davec60 Wrote:  2)Is an 'option' module available for deli (usually found in /lib/modules/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ ?

I'm unsure if I understand correctly. You probably mean the 'options' keyword in the modules.conf used for supplying kernel modules with additional parameters. Am I right?

(09-03-2012 07:35 PM)davec60 Wrote:  3)Incidentally, when 'upgrading' from deli 0.8 to delicate (as opposed to downloading the full delicate CD) how large is the 'upgrade' in Mb?

It depends on the set of packages currently installed on your system. It shouldn't be more than a DeLi/DeLi(cate) CD size unless you wanna install additional packages from the internet repository.

(09-03-2012 07:35 PM)davec60 Wrote:  I appreciate that I don't 'need' to do any of this ie. I know that I can simply download the full delicate CD (even though I am not keen on large downloads eg. over 300mb); but I was hoping to do what I have been trying to do simply as 'an exercise' in order to try and 'learn something' eg. about operating at the command line, about switching a modem and getting a successful USB modem connection with a 'core' CLI and about adding my own GUI etc. Thanks,
davec60

Exercise is always good, but in this case it could be pretty difficult :] We should definitely introduce some modem dialing stuff and make it official. Unfortunately I'm unsure if I have any suitable hardware for testing and the USB modem built-in support in the 2.4 series kernels is probably quite poor. What brand/model do you have there?

Thanks,
J.
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I have taken your advice onboard. I will persevere for a while longer but I suspect I will eventually end up just downloading the full delicate iso in the not too distant future!
The 'option' module that I was actually referring to is typically located in the place I mentioned and is named either option.ko or just option.o (I think it depends on what kernel is being used).
On the question of my USB modem, it is a ZTE MF112. It is fundamentally Windows-oriented and often shows up at first as an USB storage device. However, it can be 'switched' quite easily and is usually reliable with most linux OS's, although I have also had difficulty with it with Damn Small Linux which I think also uses the 2.4 kernel. I was very recently successful getting it switched and connected to the internet (at the console) with both Debian Live Standard (CLI-based 'core') and AntiX-M11 (CLI-based core version). I will let you know if I ever succeed with my current Deli 0.8 core. Thanks again,
davec60
09-05-2012, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 12:22 PM by tavvva.)
(09-05-2012 10:45 AM)davec60 Wrote:  Hi,
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I have taken your advice onboard. I will persevere for a while longer but I suspect I will eventually end up just downloading the full delicate iso in the not too distant future!
The 'option' module that I was actually referring to is typically located in the place I mentioned and is named either option.ko or just option.o (I think it depends on what kernel is being used).

You're right. This module is available in 2.6 series kernels.

-------
license: GPL
description: USB Driver for GSM modems
author: Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>

-------

It's questionable if a different module providing a similar functionality exists in 2.4 series kernels ... I'll probably start doing first 2.6 kernel tests in October.

(09-05-2012 10:45 AM)davec60 Wrote:  On the question of my USB modem, it is a ZTE MF112. It is fundamentally Windows-oriented and often shows up at first as an USB storage device. However, it can be 'switched' quite easily and is usually reliable with most linux OS's, although I have also had difficulty with it with Damn Small Linux which I think also uses the 2.4 kernel. I was very recently successful getting it switched and connected to the internet (at the console) with both Debian Live Standard (CLI-based 'core') and AntiX-M11 (CLI-based core version). I will let you know if I ever succeed with my current Deli 0.8 core. Thanks again,
davec60