Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PROBLEM: slim: Stale lockfile found, removing it
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 01:23 PM by Massa.)
PROBLEM: slim: Stale lockfile found, removing it
Hi everybody,
I'm new to Delicate and to Linux. I tried to install OS on an old laptot (pentium III, 192 MB ram, 570 MHz) following these

http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=180

instructions step by step, but when I write

service slim start

in the console nothing happens but the written

slim: Stale lockfile found, removing it

appears and I can't go ahead..
I need help because I think Delicate could be a good OS for my old pc, but if I can't solve this problem I will have to think to something else.. Sad
Every advice / suggestion would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 10:39 PM
RE: PROBLEM: slim: Stale lockfile found, removing it
(07-06-2012 12:18 PM)Massa Wrote:  Hi everybody,
I'm new to Delicate and to Linux. I tried to install OS on an old laptot (pentium III, 192 MB ram, 570 MHz) following these

http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=180

instructions step by step, but when I write

service slim start

in the console nothing happens but the written

slim: Stale lockfile found, removing it

appears and I can't go ahead..
I need help because I think Delicate could be a good OS for my old pc, but if I can't solve this problem I will have to think to something else.. Sad
Every advice / suggestion would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Hello :]

Is your X server properly configured? = Are you able to to get into GUI with startx ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Hi,
thank you for your answer! When I login as root or as unprivileged user and type startx in the console I get:

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

what can I do?
07-08-2012, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 06:52 PM by tavvva.)
(07-07-2012 09:19 AM)Massa Wrote:  Hi,
thank you for your answer! When I login as root or as unprivileged user and type startx in the console I get:

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

what can I do?

It seem your X system is not properly configured ...

1.) Could you please attach the following file here in the forum ?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

2.) Could you please attach the output of the following command here in the forum?

lspci -nn
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I read your message once again and it seems I should say sorry. I saw "I'm new to Delicate Linux" and it's "I'm new to Delicate and to Linux" ....

... so .... it's expected you could have problems even with basics .... please, don't hesitate to ask even if it's a very basic stuff .... I believe we can solve the issue together. Do you have any instant messenger? This could speed the things up ...
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
(07-09-2012 04:31 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I read your message once again and it seems I should say sorry. I saw "I'm new to Delicate Linux" and it's "I'm new to Delicate and to Linux" ....

... so .... it's expected you could have problems even with basics .... please, don't hesitate to ask even if it's a very basic stuff .... I believe we can solve the issue together. Do you have any instant messenger? This could speed the things up ...

Sorry for my english.
I have no access to the old pc for some days, cause I'm not at home at the moment. When I'll come back home I'll post the things you told me if I'll be able to. I'm new to linux and I'm not a computer expert, I find it quite difficult to understand, it's quite different from windows... I'm quite sure Delicate could be the right OS for my pc, I read the informations in the homepage...
This is my old pc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ46v1vwIc

A problem I'm thinking to is: when I'll type commands you told me in the console, how could I save the output I'll get and post it here?..
I can copy it by hand if it's short, but I think it will be a long code, so.. There are no other OS installed on it, only Delicate I installed following instructions, which doesn't start..

Thank you very much for your help!!!
(I have facebook but I haven't much time to chat so if you agree we can continue this thread - I have no hurry, this is a secondary pc, I have a more recent one - but I would be happy if the older could still work)
07-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I happen to have a Thinkpad A22e myself. As far as the output of commands, you can just copy and paste the output from the console to a service such as Pastebin.com or Hastebin.com. If you can't copy and paste, you can run this command:
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' http://sprunge.us
07-10-2012, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 01:29 PM by tavvva.)
(07-09-2012 07:29 PM)Massa Wrote:  Sorry for my english.

Your english is good and well understandable!

(07-09-2012 07:29 PM)Massa Wrote:  I have no access to the old pc for some days, cause I'm not at home at the moment. When I'll come back home I'll post the things you told me if I'll be able to. I'm new to linux and I'm not a computer expert, I find it quite difficult to understand, it's quite different from windows... I'm quite sure Delicate could be the right OS for my pc, I read the informations in the homepage...

In fact other mainstream linux distributions have much easier and more intuitive installers/hardware configuration than DeLi(cate). But once you beat the initial configuration, it's pretty well usable. We're still in the alpha development phase and some stuff still needs our attention.

(07-09-2012 07:29 PM)Massa Wrote:  This is my old pc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ46v1vwIc

It seems to have an ATI Rage Mobility video adapter. I've finally built the ATI driver, but it is not on the installation CD yet. You could try to use a generic VESA driver first and once you get your internet connection working, you could try to install the ati driver from the DeLi(cate) repository. I believe you know delisetup. You need to be logged in as root to reach the HW configuration entries of the delisetup. The xorg configuration is reachable from there. Some of the steps might be not intuitive enough and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to create a new set of installation / configuration videos matching the latest alpha CD.

(07-09-2012 07:29 PM)Massa Wrote:  A problem I'm thinking to is: when I'll type commands you told me in the console, how could I save the output I'll get and post it here?..
I can copy it by hand if it's short, but I think it will be a long code, so.. There are no other OS installed on it, only Delicate I installed following instructions, which doesn't start..

The console is sufficient for us right now. You could redirect the lspci -nn output to a file:

lspci -nn > lspci-nn.txt

Then you can transfer both files via FAT formatted USB flash (NTFS is not supported yet, but it's in our TODO list) or via the network .... both of them need to be configured using the delisetup started from the root account.

USB flash doesn't have an automount yet and needs to be mounted manually from the root account ... Once your USB is configured (reboot might be needed), your dmesg output should contain some messages indicating the USB flash insertion. There should be a device name (something like "sda" or "sdb"). If your USB device is identified as "sda", you can use fdisk -l /dev/sda executed from the root account to list the available partitions on that device. There should be just one partition called "/dev/sda1".

Mountpoint creation (it's a directory acting like a drive letter in Windows)
mkdir /mnt/usb-flash

The mount command (if your USB flash partition is /dev/sda1):
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-flash

Your USB flash content should be reachable under the /mnt/usb-flash directory ...

You can copy/create the requested files there (if they exist) ....
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /mnt/usb-flash/
lspci -nn > /mnt/usb-flash/lspci-nn.txt

Then you need to unmount the USB flash:
umount /mnt/usb-flash

... and remove the USB flash from the port ....

The network way seems to me more complicated, so .... I'm not gonna explain that unless you really need to use that way....

(07-09-2012 07:29 PM)Massa Wrote:  Thank you very much for your help!!!
(I have facebook but I haven't much time to chat so if you agree we can continue this thread - I have no hurry, this is a secondary pc, I have a more recent one - but I would be happy if the older could still work)

You're welcome!
Btw. I'm not a big fan of facebooks, twitters, .... etc. :]
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Thank you very much for your answers and for the help! In the coming weeks, once I get a moment I'll try to apply your advice and I'll let you know ..

(If I can install the operating system - I mistakenly downloaded and burned alpha3.iso not alpha3-rev2.iso - will be possible to update it by network to the latest release or is it necessary to download and burn the latest version? I think this is a stupid question)
07-10-2012, 11:34 PM
The rev2 only fixes a problem when installing from a FAT32 partition of a Hard Drive, in the rev1 the system mounts as a msdos partition, this cause a conflict with the names of the files, preventing that the system can install the packages needed for the system, with the rev2 the system mounts correctly the partition, solving the problem.

Greetings.
Charlie