Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thank you!
06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Wink Thank you!
Hey guys, I want to say thank you for this distro. I was given an old Compaq Deskpro which I hope has 32 mb ram (has two simm cards) and I'm planning to try delicate on it. Using windows would be a crime. I'll be reporting if it works! Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: Thank you!
(06-09-2012 02:54 PM)nechus Wrote:  "Using windows would be a crime."

At first, hello and welcome Nechus.

On the quote:
That counts for all machines, even the new ones Tongue
But give it a try, a few of my machines are very happy with it :]

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2012, 07:50 AM
(06-09-2012 02:54 PM)nechus Wrote:  Hey guys, I want to say thank you for this distro. I was given an old Compaq Deskpro which I hope has 32 mb ram (has two simm cards) and I'm planning to try delicate on it. Using windows would be a crime. I'll be reporting if it works! Wink

Hi :] Compaq Deskpro should work without any issues ... but if you encounter any, don't hesitate to ask ...
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
(06-10-2012 07:50 AM)tavvva Wrote:  
(06-09-2012 02:54 PM)nechus Wrote:  Hey guys, I want to say thank you for this distro. I was given an old Compaq Deskpro which I hope has 32 mb ram (has two simm cards) and I'm planning to try delicate on it. Using windows would be a crime. I'll be reporting if it works! Wink

Hi :] Compaq Deskpro should work without any issues ... but if you encounter any, don't hesitate to ask ...

Well... I did find an issue... The computer won't start!! Sad
I think it's something about the BIOS, or the cache memory. It's such an old computer and some parts were missing or loose. I'll have to fix that first. Sad
06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
(06-10-2012 04:49 PM)nechus Wrote:  Well... I did find an issue... The computer won't start!! Sad
I think it's something about the BIOS, or the cache memory. It's such an old computer and some parts were missing or loose. I'll have to fix that first. Sad

What kind of Deskpro is it?
I know that some Compaq computers didn't have a normal BIOS (they used a seperate partion on the HD). In the computerstore which I've been working a while a go, a colleague delete that partition... After that the computer was unusable... Tongue Lucky for him there was another compaq and it could be restored with 'ghost'.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
06-11-2012, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 09:56 PM by tavvva.)
(06-10-2012 06:22 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 04:49 PM)nechus Wrote:  Well... I did find an issue... The computer won't start!! Sad

What kind of Deskpro is it?
I know that some Compaq computers didn't have a normal BIOS (they used a seperate partion on the HD). In the computerstore which I've been working a while a go, a colleague delete that partition... After that the computer was unusable... Tongue Lucky for him there was another compaq and it could be restored with 'ghost'.

That 'service' partition is usually not needed .... the basic autodetection should work even without the partition .... Compaq computers have BIOSes without integrated setup ... they have just a very basic stuff to be able to boot ... could you make a photo of opened case (=motherboard) and post it here?
06-12-2012, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 12:54 AM by nechus.)
Well, it's a simple and plain Deskpro. No additional numbers or labels. It has a Pentium MMX processor. That's prior to Celeron, isn't it? It has two simm ram cards.

When I switch it on I can hear some noises but no beeps, and the monitor stays blank. I mean, I know the computer is on, but it's doing nothing at all. Confused

I wonder if I spoiled something when I removed the soldered battery. I pulled and twisted like crazy. I placed a new battery between the crooked holders, but I might have damaged something. Angel

OMG! I've killed a computer!!??
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 10:31 AM by tavvva.)
(06-12-2012 12:54 AM)nechus Wrote:  Well, it's a simple and plain Deskpro. No additional numbers or labels. It has a Pentium MMX processor. That's prior to Celeron, isn't it? It has two simm ram cards.

When I switch it on I can hear some noises but no beeps, and the monitor stays blank. I mean, I know the computer is on, but it's doing nothing at all. Confused

I wonder if I spoiled something when I removed the soldered battery. I pulled and twisted like crazy. I placed a new battery between the crooked holders, but I might have damaged something. Angel

OMG! I've killed a computer!!??

1.) Try to remove the RAM from both slots and power on .... and then check if you hear any beep codes ...

2.) Reseating all parts in the slots couple of times may help to get rid of oxides ... so ... remove everything what can be removed and put back .... and repeat that several times if it doesn't help.

3.) Try to measure the power supply ... maybe one of the pins doesn't have correct voltage ....

4.) Check if all jumpers are in place ...
06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
OK. I'll do that.