Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Git for PKGBUILD files
06-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Git for PKGBUILD files
I find that the PKGBUILD files aren't organized very well. Having a gigantic thread for all the files seems excessive. So, I was thinking, that there could be a Git repository for the PKGBUILD files. Here is an example, and here is another. This would make viewing and searching for PKGBUILD files for DeLicate much easier.

If users wanted an application in the official repository, the user could issue a pull request. GitHub comes to mind for hosting, or perhaps a install of Gitorious under the delicate-linux.net domain.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 02:33 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Git for PKGBUILD files
(06-03-2012 12:06 PM)snacsnoc Wrote:  I find that the PKGBUILD files aren't organized very well. Having a gigantic thread for all the files seems excessive. So, I was thinking, that there could be a Git repository for the PKGBUILD files. Here is an example, and here is another. This would make viewing and searching for PKGBUILD files for DeLicate much easier.

If users wanted an application in the official repository, the user could issue a pull request. GitHub comes to mind for hosting, or perhaps a install of Gitorious under the delicate-linux.net domain.

Anyway, just my two cents.

The thread is for review purposes only.
Our source repository is here : http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/src/
Source tarballs are internally symlinked to avoid wasting free space ...
You can use srcget to download selected package automatically from the repository ...

Anyway ... I originally wanted to use git for the source repository and I'm still open to this idea even if it could make the direct browsing less transparent. I just don't know how much experienced our contributors are ... git is quite powerful, but needs some knowledge. That's it's disadvantage.
You can use any way you want to share your PKGBUILDs, but then let us know about them in the Development / PKGBUILD files section ... simply write some message where these can be downloaded and how (git archive --format=tar --remote=git://github.com/myrepo/ myrepo.git xxxxxxx yyyyy zzzzz) :]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2012, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 08:29 PM by delix.)
Quote:git is quite powerful, but needs some knowledge

I don't think you can expect from the vast majority of users to know (or read) the git manuals -- this is really heavy stuff.
However, if you can provide some scripts for the handling and administration of the local clones (or just the source packages) it should be all right. There are no noobies among the users of these "special" distris targeting old/low resource hardware......
06-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Another issue, as far as I know the GitHub pages are not the lightest to load on an old machine.
In other words, you have to switch between javascript on and off, otherwise you'll get 'script not responding' issues.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
06-04-2012, 11:57 PM
(06-04-2012 07:47 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  Another issue, as far as I know the GitHub pages are not the lightest to load on an old machine.
In other words, you have to switch between javascript on and off, otherwise you'll get 'script not responding' issues.

Gitweb is a much cleaner interface for viewing Git repositories. It's also not Javscript intensive.
06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
What about a wiki? Or perhaps some other solution? It'd be nice to see something like like the AUR but for Delicate. I'm also a web developer so creating a custom solution isn't out of the scope Wink
06-22-2012, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 09:59 PM by tavvva.)
(06-21-2012 08:23 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  What about a wiki? Or perhaps some other solution? It'd be nice to see something like like the AUR but for Delicate. I'm also a web developer so creating a custom solution isn't out of the scope Wink

Yup .... we could have a wiki ... I was thinking about that many times. I'm just a bit scared of spammers Undecided DeLi wiki is based on the DokuWiki software. If you know better wiki systems, then let me know, please ....
06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
(06-22-2012 09:57 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Yup .... we could have a wiki ... I was thinking about that many times. I'm just a bit scared of spammers Undecided DeLi wiki is based on the DokuWiki software. If you know better wiki systems, then let me know, please ....

DokuWiki or MediaWiki is fine.

Actually, I've been working on a system for managing PKGBUILDs. Of course, it's very rudimentary, but it works (somewhat). You can check it out here: http://dur.gelat.in/. The packages are sent to be moderated and either accepted or denied.
What I was meaning to do was add some transparency to the DeLicate project regarding packages. Anyway, thoughts are appreciated.
06-23-2012, 09:24 PM
just tested and the submit was not successful ... guess it's not finished yet Smile
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
(06-23-2012 09:24 PM)tavvva Wrote:  just tested and the submit was not successful ... guess it's not finished yet Smile

Like I said, most things don't work yet. Though I'm just garnering interest on whether I should continue working on it.