Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
distrowatch
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 09:13 PM by tavvva.)
RE: distrowatch
We have almost 3 days long ATARI party in České Budějovice in 2 weeks ... Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 09:44 PM
(06-02-2012 09:12 PM)tavvva Wrote:  We have almost 3 days long ATARI party in České Budějovice in 2 weeks ... Cool

Damn, some countries have all the luck ;]
Overhere there are sometimes MSX or C64 parties..
But that's once in a few years... and sometimes in Germany.

Twenty years ago I went 2 times a week to local club events (different places, one in my hometown and the other was an Atari club in a village in the neighbourhood).
A room full of (mega) ST(e) machines, later the Falcon and some people where playing with the Lynx :] Those where the days..

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
(05-30-2012 02:53 PM)tavvva Wrote:  At least I would be happy if anyone finds some time to advertise our project a bit ...

Another thing came across my mind, some 'youtubers' have quite some followers. I believe 'sneekylinux' is famous for reviewing 'new' distros. His channel is viewed 1.900.000 times, so I left a comment where I dropped the name Delicate Linux. Cool

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
(09-05-2012 08:34 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  
(05-30-2012 02:53 PM)tavvva Wrote:  At least I would be happy if anyone finds some time to advertise our project a bit ...

Another thing came across my mind, some 'youtubers' have quite some followers. I believe 'sneekylinux' is famous for reviewing 'new' distros. His channel is viewed 1.900.000 times, so I left a comment where I dropped the name Delicate Linux. Cool

Hi Theo.

How are you? Feeling better?

I believe it's good to search for distrowatch alternatives, since we'll probably never get in their database. I truly believe they could simply cancel the submission list, because it completely lost it's initial purpose. It just continually grows and people are not interested in reading a list that currently holds 309 linux distribution names without being supplemented with any kind of description. Even if there was a description, it's still too long and losing a reason to exist.
DistroWatch should cancel the list and clearly state they became a paid service regardless of the reason that transformed them into that.
09-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Distrowatch seems to be a lost cause. Perhaps contacting popular Linux blogs about Delicate would yield better results.

My Delicate Linux repository
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 06:21 PM
(05-29-2012 09:23 PM)tavvva Wrote:  But ... if we pay US$200, then they'll find the resources :]

Although it is fairly clearly stated on their Distribution Submission page, this $200 listing fee is news to me, and probably a lot of other people who check Distrowatch from time to time. I used to wonder how some distros would just appear out of nowhere on the top 100 list, while others languished for years in the "waiting list". Actually, there are 326 distros listed in the Distrowatch Page Hit Ranking list (Deli(cate) isn't there)--I wonder how many of them paid to get there?

I sometimes look (usually fruitlessly) for new lightweight linux distros, and I found Deli(cate) through a link in the Deli Linux(?) Wikipedia entry. So I guess an entry for Deli(cate) in Wikipedia as well as links in some of Wikipedia's lists of lightweight distros and small distros might be helpful in spreading the word, or is it too early for that?
09-27-2012, 07:59 PM
(09-24-2012 06:21 PM)westcoaster Wrote:  I sometimes look (usually fruitlessly) for new lightweight linux distros, and I found Deli(cate) through a link in the Deli Linux(?) Wikipedia entry. So I guess an entry for Deli(cate) in Wikipedia as well as links in some of Wikipedia's lists of lightweight distros and small distros might be helpful in spreading the word, or is it too early for that?

I've tried adding Deli(cate) to whatever listings I could find on lightweight distributions. There aren't a lot of them and some of those seem to be no longer maintained, so it's hard to get the word out there that way. Getting an updated wikipedia entry would be a useful thing if someone has the pull to do that. Best thing I can think of is anywhere you see a listing of distributions where Deli(cate) could be added, write in and ask to get it added. By the way, I've seen a few scripts out there to help guide people in picking a Linux distribution (such as http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ ). Would be nice if Deli(cate) could be added, but if it required rewriting scripts, the author(s) might not be too eager.

One other option, anyone with a web site, be sure to mention Deli(cate) at the site. At least that way, maybe it'll rank higher in search engines and come up more often. Maybe if you start your own lightweight Linux distributions lists or your own script to help pick a distribution or other useful information that eventually leads back to Deli(cate), people would start finding those resources and then find Deli(cate). Mentioning it on forums that are discussing alternate distributions might be a good way to get noticed too. I think Puppy Linux had a topic like that at its forum.
09-28-2012, 02:04 AM
(09-27-2012 07:59 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  
(09-24-2012 06:21 PM)westcoaster Wrote:  I sometimes look (usually fruitlessly) for new lightweight linux distros, and I found Deli(cate) through a link in the Deli Linux(?) Wikipedia entry. So I guess an entry for Deli(cate) in Wikipedia as well as links in some of Wikipedia's lists of lightweight distros and small distros might be helpful in spreading the word, or is it too early for that?

I've tried adding Deli(cate) to whatever listings I could find on lightweight distributions. There aren't a lot of them and some of those seem to be no longer maintained, so it's hard to get the word out there that way. Getting an updated wikipedia entry would be a useful thing if someone has the pull to do that. Best thing I can think of is anywhere you see a listing of distributions where Deli(cate) could be added, write in and ask to get it added. By the way, I've seen a few scripts out there to help guide people in picking a Linux distribution (such as http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ ). Would be nice if Deli(cate) could be added, but if it required rewriting scripts, the author(s) might not be too eager.

One other option, anyone with a web site, be sure to mention Deli(cate) at the site. At least that way, maybe it'll rank higher in search engines and come up more often. Maybe if you start your own lightweight Linux distributions lists or your own script to help pick a distribution or other useful information that eventually leads back to Deli(cate), people would start finding those resources and then find Deli(cate). Mentioning it on forums that are discussing alternate distributions might be a good way to get noticed too. I think Puppy Linux had a topic like that at its forum.
I wrote a few blog posts about Deli(cate) so hopefully that'll get some more attention to it Wink

My Delicate Linux repository
09-28-2012, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 06:05 AM by westcoaster.)
(09-27-2012 07:59 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  Getting an updated wikipedia entry would be a useful thing if someone has the pull to do that.

I don't know anything about creating or editing entries in wikipedia, but I thought anyone could do it if they wanted to (as long as they aren't banned for breaking the rules, etc). Is there more to it than that, or do I misunderstand what you mean?

for what it's worth, here's a youtube video about how to create a Wikipedia article http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CwiZIsaM7s

Anyway, I think you have some great ideas for getting Deli(cate)'s name out there in as many places as possible.

(09-27-2012 07:59 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  Mentioning it on forums that are discussing alternate distributions might be a good way to get noticed too. I think Puppy Linux had a topic like that at its forum.

I think many distros have forums with an "Other" category, in which we could mention Deli(cate).

Also, I was surprised yesterday when I was Googling for info about Lynx browser, and a post from the Deli(cate) forum popped up as the second search result. So I suppose just adding more posts to this forum is helpful.

(09-28-2012 02:04 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  I wrote a few blog posts about Deli(cate) so hopefully that'll get some more attention to it Wink

Do you have your own blog, or is this someone else's?
09-28-2012, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 12:29 PM by lmemsm.)
(09-28-2012 02:04 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  I wrote a few blog posts about Deli(cate) so hopefully that'll get some more attention to it Wink

That's another thing we can do, look up any blogs that mention lightweight distributions and applications and add a comment about DeLi(cate). When I ran a search, there were several blogs talking about related topics.