Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
distrowatch
05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
distrowatch
Was just looking up something and ended up at Distrowatch. Couldn't help wondering, is there any reason why DeLicate doesn't come up when running a search on Distrowatch?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2012, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 09:48 PM by tavvva.)
RE: distrowatch
(05-29-2012 08:49 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  Was just looking up something and ended up at Distrowatch. Couldn't help wondering, is there any reason why DeLicate doesn't come up when running a search on Distrowatch?

Hi ... it's in the list of submissions since October 2011:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit

People from distrowatch say, that nowadays every Tom, Dick and Harry has it's own distribution and they have no time and resources to add each distribution straight in the list ... and I understand that .... 71 new distributions have been submitted since the DeLi(cate) submission ... that's almost disgusting Big Grin
But ... if we pay US$200, then they'll find the resources :] You know, I could pay that, but I'm really curious if this is really about the proper infrastructure they would like to see as a prerequisity or if it is only about money.

I believe, that our infrastructure is sufficient .... we have binary and source repositories, we have this forum (that covers support, bug tracking, documentation and also makes mailing lists useless), we have a separate domain, we have a dedicated server, we have our registered IRC channel (even if it is almost empty) ... but we're probably still missing one of those "etc" things Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
It's all about the money... dum dum dum duhduh dum..
Maybe I'm too fast with my conclusion but it's the only thing that crossed my mind..

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
(05-30-2012 09:53 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  It's all about the money... dum dum dum duhduh dum..
Maybe I'm too fast with my conclusion but it's the only thing that crossed my mind..

Well ... we also do this for free, because we're enthusiasts. So ... there's still some chance they're not infected by opportunism.
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 11:26 AM by tavvva.)
The following is a different topic, but I believe it's related ...

You know ... I don't like fitness centres, where I'm not allowed to bring my own drinks and have to pay 10x more for bottled water, that can contain more than 30 times higher amount of pathogens than water from the tap and usually has higher ecological footprint. And that's why I go to fitness centres, where I am allowed to do so. And then I sometimes buy their protein drinks and bars just to say "Thank you for freedom". Other fitness centres would have more customers if they change the message from "your own drinks are not permitted" to something like "we're happy to offer you our drinks at the bar". It's the same like difference between "We'll do that for USD$200" and "If you like this project, please donate us with any amount of money you find appropriate".
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 01:33 PM by lmemsm.)
Sorry to hear that. Of course, there are always other places to post about Delicate. I think I still have access to alternativeTo and ostatic. Am sure there are other good lists or wikis. I'm on a few low resource Linux mailing lists too. Maybe we can spread the word a little.
I added entries for alternateTo and ostatic. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the alternative links working on ostatic in a long time. At least there should be a searchable entry though.

Ran across this site that could use a link update if anyone wants to try:
http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/Distrib..._Computers
Find all posts by this user
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
(05-30-2012 12:42 PM)lmemsm Wrote:  Sorry to hear that. Of course, there are always other places to post about Delicate. I think I still have access to alternativeTo and ostatic. Am sure there are other good lists or wikis. I'm on a few low resource Linux mailing lists too. Maybe we can spread the word a little.
I added entries for alternateTo and ostatic. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the alternative links working on ostatic in a long time. At least there should be a searchable entry though.

Ran across this site that could use a link update if anyone wants to try:
http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/Distrib..._Computers

At least I would be happy if anyone finds some time to advertise our project a bit ...
05-30-2012, 06:45 PM
(05-30-2012 02:53 PM)tavvva Wrote:  At least I would be happy if anyone finds some time to advertise our project a bit ...

I've posted a topic in the Dutch Ubuntu Forum ( a while ago), they have a section called 'Other Distros', and on my facebook and twitter account I post several times a week something about Delicate Linux. I translated some stuff and put it on a wordpress blog.

No offence, but when I see distrowatch and there is a (tiny) changed Ubuntu remaster (and that happens a lot) and they give it some attention then *I think* that they should be ashamed of their selves.

06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I appreaciate that :]
06-01-2012, 11:32 PM
(06-01-2012 09:50 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I appreaciate that :]

Well if they spam me with all their facebook games inventations, I think it's my duty to spam with something back Tongue
Perhaps nice to know, I get some likes too :]

An old friend of mine (from the Atari XL/ST days) who lives now somewhere else in the Netherlands is now working for several schools (he does all the computer and network work), but that's all MS... He knows KDE and Gnome from a few distros. And when the JWM in 'Gnome-look' with just 30mb in use.. he asked me in 'what the hell it was' and on what kind of machine it works. I told him that it was just an P2 233mhz with Delicate Linux, he found it awesome and makes him on the other hand a bit sad (It reminds him at the old Atari XL 1.79 mhz and could do almost anything). That seems like a great compliment...