Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
alpha 3 rev 2
05-20-2012, 04:27 PM
alpha 3 rev 2
Hi:
I have tried installing the 2nd rev of the *.iso. It proceeded smoothly to, "installing core packages" and hung there. The first time i waited for three hours before realising and shut of the system. That was last night. I restarted the installation process again this morning. The installer is displaying the message "installing core packages" for over an hour with no activity from the CDRom drive (source) or the hard drive (destination).

The system is a 486 (33mHz) with 32 megabytes of RAM.

Thanks for your help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
RE: alpha 3 rev 2
Wow, that's a old Machine!, you can try to install from the hard drive, but you need to buy an USB adapter.
You already try it with other CD-Rom drive?
Charlie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2012, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 09:55 PM by tavvva.)
(05-20-2012 04:27 PM)canuck Wrote:  Hi:
I have tried installing the 2nd rev of the *.iso. It proceeded smoothly to, "installing core packages" and hung there. The first time i waited for three hours before realising and shut of the system. That was last night. I restarted the installation process again this morning. The installer is displaying the message "installing core packages" for over an hour with no activity from the CDRom drive (source) or the hard drive (destination).

Thanks for your help

Hello :] It's nice to finally see you post here :]
So ... once you get to the "Installing core packages" message, please switch to the 4th terminal by pressing ALT+F4 and check what happens there ... it should be saying what it is trying to do and what package it is trying to install (pacman mode) / what file it is trying to unpack (preinstalled delibase mode).

Are you sure the medium has been downloaded and burned correctly? Do you have enough space on the root filesystem? Is the harddrive working well?
05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
(05-20-2012 08:23 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Wow, that's a old Machine!, you can try to install from the hard drive, but you need to buy an USB adapter.
Charlie

Finally completed the install with GRUB as boot loader and I end up with a CLI (both as root and user). I need to figure out a way to get the GUI going :-) Without that I am lost.

Yes its an old system with ISA slots for each peripheral and no 'pci' slots (and no USB ports either). It does not even recognise a CDRom drive let alone boot from it. I have to use SBM to boot from the CDRom.The system won't recognise a HD larger than 500 MB :-)
05-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Just run "delisetup" as root, and in the category of Hardware select "Configure Xorg", the rest is easy.
Charlie
05-21-2012, 12:17 AM
(05-20-2012 09:54 PM)tavvva Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 04:27 PM)canuck Wrote:  Hi:

Thanks for your help

Hello :] It's nice to finally see you post here :]
So ... once you get to the "Installing core packages" message, please switch to the 4th terminal by pressing ALT+F4 and check what happens there ... it should be saying what it is trying to do and what package it is trying to install (pacman mode) / what file it is trying to unpack (preinstalled delibase mode).

Are you sure the medium has been downloaded and burned correctly? Do you have enough space on the root filesystem? Is the harddrive working well?

The install did finish properly atlast. I started at 9:15 AM and at 2:00 pm, the monitor was still showing "Installing desktop and graphical applications" ( since12:50. At that point I had to leave so I left the system to its own devices and went out. When I came back at 3:30, "Congratulations....Control-Alt-Delete" which I did and rebooted the system. GRUB braught up the system and left me at $ prompt I made the mistake of typing "startx". A whole bunch of text scrolled off the screen very quickly, leaving a blank screen, unresponsive. So I "Alt-Cntrl_Del" again.

This time I ran Delisetup as root. The only choice was to choose "WM" and there "icewm' was the only choice. There were no parameters to choose. Still no GUI

The system (hardware) is working fine and the Deli.iso was burned properly. No problem there. Just my ignorance :-)

I would appreciate any instructions to work the magic of GUI appearing. Thanks
05-21-2012, 02:14 AM
(05-21-2012 12:10 AM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Just run "delisetup" as root, and in the category of Hardware select "Configure Xorg", the rest is easy.
Charlie

Thanks for the pointer. I did not think of looking for xorg config under hardware :-) I will go try that now.
05-21-2012, 02:35 AM
Don't worry, even me don't know it until Tavva tell me Tongue.
Charlie
05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
To use IceWM as a normal user it's needed to set it up with your normal login.
So login with your username and 'delisetup' ->IceWM

In theory you can set it up with Fluxbox for root and IceWM for the user Tongue

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
05-21-2012, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2012 12:32 PM by tavvva.)
(05-21-2012 12:00 AM)canuck Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 08:23 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Wow, that's a old Machine!, you can try to install from the hard drive, but you need to buy an USB adapter.
Charlie

Finally completed the install with GRUB as boot loader and I end up with a CLI (both as root and user). I need to figure out a way to get the GUI going :-) Without that I am lost.

Yes its an old system with ISA slots for each peripheral and no 'pci' slots (and no USB ports either). It does not even recognise a CDRom drive let alone boot from it. I have to use SBM to boot from the CDRom.The system won't recognise a HD larger than 500 MB :-)

HD larger than 500MB should not be a problem. If you create a separate boot partition within the first 500MB (addressable by BIOS), then the kernel is loaded from that boot partition and once the kernel boots up, it is able to address the rest harddrive capacity directly using the harddrive ports ... it doesn't need BIOS routines anymore ..... so, the root partition can be placed in the area that can't be addressed by BIOS. My recommendation is to create a small boot linux partition (20MB - 100MB), then optionally some DOS partition if you want (350MB), then some swap space (128MB), then finally some linux root partition (till the end of the harddrive).

You can also use the DeLi(cate) boot floppy in order to boot from the CD-ROM (it internally uses SmartBoot Manager module).

------

The installation was quite slow Undecided .... What's the size of your swap partition? Maybe it's caused by the harddrive speed (hopefully it doesn't have any bad blocks or dying areas causing delays during the IO operations).

------

In fact The Xorg configuration is a hardware configuration .... I was unsure what category is the best place for this configuration and finally decided to put it in the hardware submenu. We can tune that in the future ...

------

As it was already written ... each user has it's own WM configuration. If you start delisetup from the regular user account, then it offers you just the WM configuration. Select icewm (or whatever), then enable menu generator (recommended) and this will generate a working .xinitrc file. If you have configured the Xorg properly, then you can start the X by calling startx from the regular user account ... eventually you can install slim login manager (and enable the slim service in the delisetup) for graphical login ...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2]