Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
questions about delicate
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: questions about delicate
(05-13-2012 07:50 PM)tavvva Wrote:  What exactly are you missing in the Arch's package system?

Wanted something that works on multiple platforms (Linux, FreeBSD, Windows) and that is highly flexible.

(05-13-2012 07:50 PM)tavvva Wrote:  How fast and lightweight is it?

Speed is not a major design goal. It does work on my Sony laptop with 64 MB though. If I wanted speed, I'd be using a compiled program. At this point, I want it scripted so that I can easily make changes and/or additions. If I get it working the way I want, it won't be permanently tied to one particular scripting language though. Some of the design goals are cross-platform support, extreme flexibility (for instance, being able to substitute one tool for another if something isn't available), support for sneaker-net if needed, clear division of package related information/functionality from platform and from build related information/functionality, template-based, small functional units that can be put together like building blocks.

It's still in the works. I may be reinventing the wheel in some cases, but this way, I can get things to work the way I prefer and emphasize the design goals most important to me. Right now, it's functional enough I can use it for building (and installing) the applications I want, but I have some revisions and additions in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply