Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offtopic: a bit humour
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
RE: Offtopic: a bit humour
(05-30-2012 11:52 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  As far as theming goes there are a lot to find at box-look (fluxbox, blackbox, icewm etc..) With a quick search in my download dir I found something for IceWM that looks a bit like the silver luna theme. I don't know if it is what you're looking for but I post a screenshot. Icons etc, can easily be editted.

I definitely like the silver look at the top of the window. Very reminiscent of Windows. Actually, IceWM looks a lot like older versions of Windows. The buttons and taskbar look a lot like the luna theme as well. I currently prefer running without a taskbar (or much of anything else). I use Alt-tab almost all the time for task switching. I usually have several urxvt terminals open in X and just switch between them.

I should investigate Fluxbox minus the taskbar. I think I'm going to download IceWM on my machine and try it out just to see how it compares with Openbox. What was the name of the theme you used or do you have the URL for it? Looks pretty good. Thank you very much for the example.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2012, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 08:37 PM by nl2stk.)
I've collected a few themes (200 or so) and the URL from the theme is unknown.
But no problem, I can post it :]
The panel from IceWM can be turned off too (it is somewhere in the configuration file).

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that there are Luna/Win GTK themes on different sites. (Gnome-look for example) that makes it almost complete.. The only thing that's needed and I don't know how to find is the icon theme. I *think* that that has something to do with rights issues.. But there must be a good replacement for that.. :]

Attached File(s)
.gz  Silver.tar.gz (Size: 177.98 KB / Downloads: 1)

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2012, 01:04 PM
(05-30-2012 07:07 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  But no problem, I can post it :]
The panel from IceWM can be turned off too (it is somewhere in the configuration file).

I forgot to mention that there are Luna/Win GTK themes on different sites. (Gnome-look for example) that makes it almost complete..

Thanks for sharing this. Will try it out this weekend.

I'm not too eager to find the GTK themes. I was attempting to build GTK+ 3 on one of the systems I use and I found their support anything but user friendly. I don't usually care if software is unsupported, but they encourage you to file any issues you may have right on their web page and then they're not very polite when you do so. I am working on replacing any GTK+ applications I use with alternatives using other user interfaces.

One of the reasons I'd like to get a web browser working as a front-end to applications (especially command line ones) is that it's very easy to customize the look of the user interface if you have full CSS support. I emulated the look of the luna push buttons in CSS here:
http://userstyles.org/styles/60535/googl...ook-for-lm

Thanks again for the theme. Look forward to trying it out.
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I tried out IceWM and then I also tried out jwm (which has even less dependencies when building). Of the two, I think I like jwm better. It appears to be slightly less resource intensive. The silver theme does a great job of making IceWM look like Luna silver. I don't think what I came up with for jwm comes as close to emulating the Luna theme, but I pulled some ideas from my OpenBox configuration and ended up with a nice metallic (gold and silver) look on the windows and buttons.

Also ran across some inspiring ideas for theming jwm here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23260

I noticed they use a program called xload and use the Swallow option in .jwmrc to create a system monitor in the tray. Not sure what they're using to monitor Internet traffic, but it would be really interesting to find out. I also got a very simple volume control up. I just used some text in a TrayButton and have it call a menu with mixer programs. Also noticed in the Puppy forums that they have some tools for customizing jwm settings and the jwm menus. Not sure how well they'd work on other platforms though.

If anyone comes across any other good jwm tips and tricks, would love to hear about it.