Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offtopic: a bit humour
05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
RE: Offtopic: a bit humour
My busy and 'social' life Tongue

Twitter, IM, Facebook and IRC and ofcourse all at once...
Am I'm missing something? Tongue

[Image: 138fee192664537.jpg]

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
(05-28-2012 03:35 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  My busy and 'social' life Tongue

Twitter, IM, Facebook and IRC and ofcourse all at once...
Am I'm missing something? Tongue

[Image: 138fee192664537.jpg]

You're like my colleagues .... everything in terminal ... but ... some of them use DWM .... that helps with the terminal windows positioning Big Grin
05-28-2012, 10:39 PM
(05-28-2012 06:56 PM)tavvva Wrote:  You're like my colleagues .... everything in terminal ... but ... some of them use DWM .... that helps with the terminal windows positioning Big Grin

DWM? It's worth to consider.. ratpoison is a nice one too (who needs a mouse for the terminal Tongue )

05-29-2012, 12:28 AM
I've never heard of CenterIM before, I'll have to check it out. I just use Pidgin since it supports MSN and IRC.
Find all posts by this user
05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
(05-29-2012 12:28 AM)snacsnoc Wrote:  I've never heard of CenterIM before, I'll have to check it out. I just use Pidgin since it supports MSN and IRC.

Both protocols are fine with CenterIM, the only thing that didn't work is my attempt to get it working with Facebook Chat but it seems that I'm not the only one with that problem, but I can live with that. It's nice and easy to use...

On other systems I use Pidgin too, I guess Finch would be nice for Delicate (Pidgin without the GTK stuff etc.). On the screenshot (bottom right) is nirc running (subpackage from naim) that's also a nice messenger or irc client. To make it complete Irssi is also in the repositories. And I've seen How-To pages to get Irssi working with Bitlbee to do the most of your messenger stuff.
Bitlbee is by default installed by Delicate (correct me if I'm wrong).
And ofcourse you can use Xchat with Bitlbee too :]

05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
(05-28-2012 10:39 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  
(05-28-2012 06:56 PM)tavvva Wrote:  You're like my colleagues .... everything in terminal ... but ... some of them use DWM .... that helps with the terminal windows positioning Big Grin

DWM? It's worth to consider.. ratpoison is a nice one too (who needs a mouse for the terminal Tongue )

dwm is in the repo .... try it ...

(but read the manual first Big Grin )
05-29-2012, 08:01 PM
(05-29-2012 04:00 PM)tavvva Wrote:  dwm is in the repo .... try it ...

(but read the manual first Big Grin )

I've installed it and ofcourse without 'RTFM'.
And I found it impossible without the manual...
But I give it a try this time with the manual, I think my old Toshiba would love it :]

05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I found it hard to work until you start customizing it. Once you get the keystroke shortcuts you like and the color settings you want, it's better to work with. There's no configuration file, so you have to rebuild every time you want to change a setting. There's a port of dwm to Windows that works with autohotkey. I actually found it easier to use than the Linux version.

One strange thing I noticed about dwm on POSIX systems was that it said it was using up a ton of memory when I checked it with a program like conky. I think it was an issue with it and conky running at the same time and that conky was not reporting the right information. Seemed to be fine when I checked memory usage with another program (top).

I currently like OpenBox, but it's the heaviest of the lightweight window managers I've tried. Would like to find something similar to it though. Fluxbox is nice, but I like the idea of using a separate application for the taskbar (or not having a taskbar at all sometimes). I've also been testing out how to customize the look of Openbox. There's a program called obtheme that lets you customize or create themes. Would really like to find a window manager that can do something similar to the Windows luna silver theme.

(05-29-2012 08:01 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I've installed it and ofcourse without 'RTFM'.
And I found it impossible without the manual...
But I give it a try this time with the manual, I think my old Toshiba would love it :]
Find all posts by this user
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
dwm can be patched to support configuration files Smile
05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote from Lmemsm

"I currently like OpenBox, but it's the heaviest of the lightweight window managers I've tried. Would like to find something similar to it though. Fluxbox is nice, but I like the idea of using a separate application for the taskbar (or not having a taskbar at all sometimes). I've also been testing out how to customize the look of Openbox. There's a program called obtheme that lets you customize or create themes. Would really like to find a window manager that can do something similar to the Windows luna silver theme."

I have been using openbox too for a while on my Debian Squeeze system. Now it's running LM 12 LXDE (too lazy for a netinstall). As far as I know the taskbar from fluxbox can be removed (an example is LM Fluxbox, they're using tint2).
As far as theming goes there are a lot to find at box-look (fluxbox, blackbox, icewm etc..) With a quick search in my download dir I found something for IceWM that looks a bit like the silver luna theme. I don't know if it is what you're looking for but I post a screenshot. Icons etc, can easily be editted.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)