Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Naim-0.11.8.3.2 in the repo
04-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Photo Naim-0.11.8.3.2 in the repo
*naim is a minimalist messaging and chat program written by Daniel Reed in C; it supports the protocols AIM, ICQ, IRC, and lily (CMC). Unlike most messaging clients, it is not graphical; it runs from the console using the ncurses library. naim is free software, licensed under the GNU GPL.

naim uses the AOL instant messenger TOC protocol instead of the OSCAR protocol because the TOC protocol is less likely to change and is better supported by AOL. This means naim lacks some features other instant messengers have. For example, earlier versions of naim lacked the ability to check other people's away messages, though the latest version of TOC and naim now support this feature. Even though TOC may have a smaller feature set, naim is theoretically more stable than OSCAR-based clients since those clients use a reverse-engineered protocol which AOL may change without notice.

--------

Perhaps a hint:
If you're using CenterIM and you don't like multiple chat accounts in one program this can be very useful too. I use Naim for IRC and keep CenterIM for MSN. I'm blond enough to get confused and I'm sending the wrong messages to people Tongue
So if you have the same issues as I have perhaps this is a small help.
Too start the Naim IRC client type in the terminal: nirc
You can configure it and save it with 'F9', sometimes it can take some time if your name has to be checked (duplicates).
But if you hate waiting and your planning to use it only for the #delicate-linux channel, you can copy the next lines and put your username in it :]
Here is the .nircrc (don't forget the '.') you can put in your homedirectory.

Code:
# Key bindings.
bind ^I :TAB_BUDDY_NEXT
bind M-^I :BUDDY_PREV

# Create a new connection called IRC of type IRC.
newconn IRC IRC

# Rejoin your channels.
IRC:join #delicate-linux

# Connect to IRC.
#set IRC:password mypass
#clear
# naim will prompt you for your password if it's not supplied here.
IRC:connect YOURUSERNAME irc.freenode.net

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply