Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
RE: Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX
(05-14-2012 06:37 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Yeah, but sadly my Debian Installation (with X) is a disaster.
Lol.
Charlie

We have hundredths of linux distributions ... you can try and try and try until you get satisfied :] if ever Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
(05-14-2012 09:30 PM)tavvva Wrote:  you can try and try and try until you get satisfied :] if ever Big Grin

I used the same words for my girlfriend last night Tongue Big Grin
And I'm pretty sure there was no computer involved...
*going to wash his mouth*

But seriously, I've done a lot of distrohopping in the past too.
Nowadays I stick mostly by 3 distro's, Delicate is on 3 machines, 2 machines with Xubuntu and the last one is Linux Mint 12 (LXDE). The *buntu based machines are for daily use (kids), Mint is for the higher end things. I compare *buntu with volkswagen, it works and parts are easy to obtain.. Delicate is a whole other story... a bit like a hot-rod with an older engine. Smile

But to go on-topic if Debian doesn't work that well, a lot of others may not work either (unless they included own special modifications). But I guess most (debian-based) distro's are nothing more than a compilation with a bunch of programs in a re-brand jacket.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
05-15-2012, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2012 05:58 PM by CharlieBros.)
Well, for example Galpon Minino (Spain distribution) is based in Debian 5, and I dont have any problem.
Maybe I can try with Slitaz and Tiny Core Linux.
Charlie
Argh!, I give up!, Slitaz just crashes and Tiny Core don't boot.
The only perfect distribution is Delicate, but (what I understand) I need to wait months to upgrade to 2.6 kernel to have working my Wireless PCMCIA Card.
Damn!.
Charlie
05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
(05-15-2012 05:06 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Argh!, I give up!, Slitaz just crashes and Tiny Core don't boot.
The only perfect distribution is Delicate, but (what I understand) I need to wait months to upgrade to 2.6 kernel to have working my Wireless PCMCIA Card.
Damn!.
Charlie

Well wireless PCMCIA cards are a pain in the ass...
I've got one too... a sitecom wl-011v2 it's catching dust because it's a nightmare...
In my case it was easily replaced by a 3com PCMCIA card and a USB ethernet adapter.
They were cheap, the 3com was included with an old and broken laptop (some parts are now in my Toshiba laptop) and the USB adapter was provided by the ISP.
A long ethernetwire takes me to almost the whole house, not ideal but always working and that's what counts..

05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I remember that I have a 3com Ethernet card, but I don't found it.
Damn!.
Charlie
05-18-2012, 03:02 AM
I FOUND GOLD!, In a very old box I found a very old Proxim Harmony 8430 Wireless PCMCIA Card (The card have the same years that the laptop.) and guess what?.... IS A ORINOCO CARD, FUCK YEAH!, it works completly, but sadly I can't found the antenna, but the good news are that, it seems, the connector are very old, but common Coaxial MMCX connector, so with a little job is possible adapt an antenna.
Yay!.
Charlie
05-18-2012, 08:51 AM
(05-18-2012 03:02 AM)CharlieBros Wrote:  I FOUND GOLD!, In a very old box I found a very old Proxim Harmony 8430 Wireless PCMCIA Card (The card have the same years that the laptop.) and guess what?.... IS A ORINOCO CARD, FUCK YEAH!, it works completly, but sadly I can't found the antenna, but the good news are that, it seems, the connector are very old, but common Coaxial MMCX connector, so with a little job is possible adapt an antenna.
Yay!.
Charlie
That's good news Smile
An antenna is easy to build, I remember the 'pringles' wifi solution.
The perfect excuse to eat some potato chips Tongue

05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
(05-18-2012 08:51 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 03:02 AM)CharlieBros Wrote:  I FOUND GOLD!, In a very old box I found a very old Proxim Harmony 8430 Wireless PCMCIA Card (The card have the same years that the laptop.) and guess what?.... IS A ORINOCO CARD, FUCK YEAH!, it works completly, but sadly I can't found the antenna, but the good news are that, it seems, the connector are very old, but common Coaxial MMCX connector, so with a little job is possible adapt an antenna.
Yay!.
Charlie
That's good news Smile
An antenna is easy to build, I remember the 'pringles' wifi solution.
The perfect excuse to eat some potato chips Tongue

Pringles should make an advertisement saying, that you should buy their chips, because there's a free wifi antenna inside :]
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm a full time Pringles-Lays Stax Eater.
I have 1 Pringles-Can and 8 Lays Stax Cans, But it seems that my father found the antenna, a professional antenna (also Proxim), we will seem if is the original antenna, if it is the original antenna, I install inmediatly Delicate in the mini-laptop.
Wish me luck.
Charlie
05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
The installation was succesfull and right now I'm posting from my Thinkpad 240X, Yay!.
I will post images soon, I want first of all change the LCD screen (have some ugly marks and interior dust) and paint the antenna, because in this moment is ugly.
But I have a question, There is available another player than VLC in the repos?, because VLC never opens.
Also,There is an Audio-CD player available?
Charlie