Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX
04-29-2012, 08:23 PM
RE: Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX
(04-29-2012 05:00 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Don't worry, downloading the new revision.
Charlie
I have a problem, I execute delisetup, I press enter in the first option (change language) but, How the hell I select a option? I try with space but, nothing...
Charlie

By pressing ENTER .... then scroll down and select OK .... The current dialog binary might be replaced with a better one in one of the future releases ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Ok, I will try it.
Charlie
04-29-2012, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 11:49 PM by CharlieBros.)
The cd is perfectly detected like /dev/sr0 (in reality is a lot more long but it seems that is a simbolic link), I try to mount it with the command "mount /dev/sr0 -t iso9660 -r /cdrom", when I press enter the cd activates, read the disc but then says "Bad block etc, etc, etc" and stops.
The cd works perfect in Puppy Linux (Only in live, I don't know why when I install it, the cd-rom never works, I need to say that only with wary puppy the laptop works perfect, even wireless) and Galpon MiniNo (Distribution from Spain based in Debian 5), but in Deli don't work.
Also the wireless don't work, is detected as "eth0", but nothing else, Is neccesary more things to have wireless working?
Charlie
04-30-2012, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 08:15 AM by tavvva.)
(04-29-2012 11:49 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  The cd is perfectly detected like /dev/sr0 (in reality is a lot more long but it seems that is a simbolic link)

Do you know what device file it is poining to?

(04-29-2012 11:49 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  I try to mount it with the command "mount /dev/sr0 -t iso9660 -r /cdrom", when I press enter the cd activates, read the disc but then says "Bad block etc, etc, etc" and stops.

I' ve read some internet threads about this drive and it seems guys experienced some interrupt related issues with this drive and kernel 2.2.x / 2.4.x. Maybe it needs only different module parameters ... wish I could have all the hardware in the world in order to test it and troubleshoot.
Could you please provide me with your dmesg and lsmod output?
cardctl ident output might help too.

(04-29-2012 11:49 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  The cd works perfect in Puppy Linux (Only in live, I don't know why when I install it, the cd-rom never works, I need to say that only with wary puppy the laptop works perfect, even wireless) and Galpon MiniNo (Distribution from Spain based in Debian 5), but in Deli don't work.

That's very probably caused by the kernel we use. The guys mentioned, that with 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels they had to switch the drive to 16-bit mode and install external NinjaSCSI driver in order to make it working properly. I might try to build it for DeLi(cate) if I find the source code, but I don't know if you still want to lose time with that when you've already found a different working distibution like Puppy, ... but if you wanna help here, we'll appreciate that.

(04-29-2012 11:49 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Also the wireless don't work, is detected as "eth0", but nothing else, Is neccesary more things to have wireless working?

The wireless stack in DeLi(cate) is still experimental and thus it's missing a graphical configuration tool. At the moment the wireless card can only be configured with iwconfig command from the wireless_tools package.

(as root):
iwconfig mode managed essid net_xxx key 0011223344

... replace net_xxx with the SSID of your network
... and 0011223344 with the WEP key
... additionally you can read the iwconfig manpage and change the command according to your needs (it supports much more options)

... and then finally call dhcpcd to get the IP address, gateway and nameserver from the DHCP server or configure these manually ...

You can put the commands in the /etc/rc.local in order to make it start automatically with each boot.

I added the wireless configuration tool in the TODO list, because the iwconfig tool is not very userfriendly ...
04-30-2012, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 07:12 PM by CharlieBros.)
NinjaSCSI is included in the kernel (Nomally is in this way), How can I post the result of that commands?, Xterm don't have the function to copy and paste...
I will try the command a little later.
Charlie
I again probe the same method to mount the CD but with a Data CD and works perfect!, It seems that it can't be mounted with an Audio CD but it can be played with a player (VLC don't open)
Iwxonfig it seems that don't exist.
Charlie
05-01-2012, 06:52 PM
(04-30-2012 06:27 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Xterm don't have the function to copy and paste...

Xterm can copy and paste :]

CTRL + Insert = copy
SHIFT + Insert = paste

If you paste in a X program, SHIFT + Insert doesn't work but a click with the middle mousebutton (most likely the scrollwheel) will do the job.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
05-01-2012, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 09:19 PM by tavvva.)
(04-30-2012 06:27 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  NinjaSCSI is included in the kernel (Nomally is in this way),
How can I post the result of that commands?, Xterm don't have the function to copy and paste...
I will try the command a little later.

You can also redirect the output to a file and then attach the file ...

dmesg > dmsg-output.txt
lsmod > lsmod-output.txt
cardctl ident > cardctl-ident-output.txt

but that's not needed anymore since according to the following part of your message, the problem has been solved ...

(04-30-2012 06:27 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Charlie
I again probe the same method to mount the CD but with a Data CD and works perfect!, It seems that it can't be mounted with an Audio CD but it can be played with a player (VLC don't open)
Iwxonfig it seems that don't exist.
Charlie

iwconfig is a part of the wireless_tools package ... you need to install it first in order to make it work .... just mount the DeLi(cate) CD under /cdrom and then sync the pacman's database with pacman -Sy and then install the wireless_tools package with pacman -S wireless_tools.

once you beat these initial problems and make your network connection working, you can install and update everything using the internet reachable repository (needs to be switched in the delisetup).
05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks nl2stk Wink.
Tavva, I see when I put iwconfig, "eth0" and "wifi0", I'm disconcerted with "eth0", because (what I understand) "eth0" is only for ethernet!, also when I do the dhcpcd (Previously I do the "iwconfig" with "wifi0") It delay a lot, when it finish the two led of the PCMCIA card shutdowns, What can I do?
Charlie
05-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Also I need to say two things, the first one, the laptop have a Lucent 1646 56K Modem, the second one, the machine detect USB's but dont appear in fdisk and I can't mount it.
Charlie
05-02-2012, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 01:10 PM by tavvva.)
(05-01-2012 11:49 PM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Thanks nl2stk Wink.
Tavva, I see when I put iwconfig, "eth0" and "wifi0", I'm disconcerted with "eth0", because (what I understand) "eth0" is only for ethernet!, also when I do the dhcpcd (Previously I do the "iwconfig" with "wifi0") It delay a lot, when it finish the two led of the PCMCIA card shutdowns, What can I do?
Charlie

2.4.x series kernel drivers often use ethX for wifi devices ... it's just a name :] don't feel puzzled by that ... And I always try to change the default name of external drivers to ethX too, since any custom names are not recognized by the dhcpcd (DHCP client).

Regarding the LEDs ... Sometimes the LED behavior is inverted (depends on the card). Have you tried to configure any IP address and ping something?

(05-02-2012 03:43 AM)CharlieBros Wrote:  Also I need to say two things, the first one, the laptop have a Lucent 1646 56K Modem, the second one, the machine detect USB's but dont appear in fdisk and I can't mount it.
Charlie

Do you still use the modem?
The usb can be configured from the root account in the usbconfig (also reachable from the delisetup) and once the controller is detected, you need to enable USB storage by the usb-storage checkbox. Then reboot to activate the change (or load the modules without rebooting by executing the newly generated /etc/rc.modules.d/usb script from the root account). The device should be reachable since that or after the insertion. You can check it's name in the dmesg output. It's usually called /dev/sda ... so .... try fdisk /dev/sda