Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very old laptop - need some help :)
02-13-2012, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 10:03 PM by euronet.)
RE: Very old laptop - need some help :)
tbh I was thinking of the past use of this laptop for a couple of hours Smile
and yes I remembered some interesting things

I had this laptop for programming call centers and when I had it at home I used to connect to internet many times
I have used to this laptop 2 other different pcmcia cards under win98
a)modem card
b)network card
which used to work fine but unfortunately I dont have these cards now I gave them away to some friends long time ago , as far as this pcmcia card I have used it only to my other laptop and it worked fine there ( sa as a device I know it works fine ), I also have one firewire card but idk where it is now ( I'll try to find it to test if it reads it ) and a very newer pcmcia wifi card ( a sweex model I dont recall exactly model now )
I will try to test these 2 if system can recognize them and let u know more
once again thanks a lot for ur "lights" Smile

edit: on a 2nd thought I have a silly question Smile
if ... I use a serial-to-usb adaptor ( if exists & I can find ) how easy is it to set it up and put then a usb stick-wifi ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Right now I'm trying to buy 3 different Legacy PCMCIA cards in auctions in order to test the 6729 bridge ...

Orinoco PC24E-H-ET
Fulbond XI-325H .... 11Mbit/s
Xircom 10/100+ 56k modem

I'll let You know about the result ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-13-2012, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 10:11 PM by tavvva.)
(02-13-2012 09:42 PM)euronet Wrote:  I will try to test these 2 if system can recognize them and let u know more
once again thanks a lot for ur "lights" Smile

This photo shows the difference between old Legacy and new CarBus card ...
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/...-photo.jpg

The Sweex probably will not work ... I have one here too (Sweex Wireless 300N) and it needs a CardBus slot ...

(02-13-2012 09:42 PM)euronet Wrote:  if ... I use a serial-to-usb adaptor ( if exists & I can find ) how easy is it to set it up and put then a usb stick-wifi ?

ummmm ..... I'm not sure what You exactly mean ..... something like USB wifi card connected to some magical device and this device would be connected via serial cable to the laptop? I don't believe something like that exists .... that magical device would have to be a second computer with ppp_async and ppp_deflate modules loaded ..... this would be something like NullModem ... and the second computer would have to be connected to a wireless network and be configured as router ....
02-13-2012, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 02:27 PM by tavvva.)
Btw .... there's more software on the CD (not installed automatically) .... for example sndconfig that can be used for the soundcard configuration .... we plan to change the installer to allow group selection, etc...

NOTE: Legacy PCMCIA cards as well as legacy ISA soundcards usually can't be autodetected .... the right module and settings need to be selected/loaded manually ....
02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Btw .... there's more software on the CD (not installed automatically) .... for example sndconfig

done succesfully ( I used sound blaster instead of sb16 as u mention (http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=65) here Smile
as for the other software packages I saw them but I dont know which is what and what they do Smile
I also saw the pic and the diff between the 2 cards 16/32 bit and I am trying to remember mine cards but as I said unfortunately I dont have them and its been a veery long time to recall a very small detail ( for that year ) I think it was 1998...
thanks once again
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 11:37 AM by nl2stk.)
euronet Wrote:if ... I use a serial-to-usb adaptor ( if exists & I can find ) how easy is it to set it up and put then a usb stick-wifi ?

tavvva Wrote:ummmm ..... I'm not sure what You exactly mean ..... something like USB wifi card connected to some magical device and this device would be connected via serial cable to the laptop? I don't believe something like that exists ....

AFAIK you're right. It works only one way. It's possible to connect parallel and serial devices to an USB port but not the other way. Such things cost approx 12 euro.

I hate to say it, but it guess it would be wiser to look at a fleamarket, secondhandstore or a website for a working PCMCIA card. Most (16 bit) cards costs less than 10 dollar, at least what I've seen. Perhaps an idea?

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
(02-14-2012 09:17 AM)euronet Wrote:  Btw .... there's more software on the CD (not installed automatically) .... for example sndconfig

done succesfully ( I used sound blaster instead of sb16 as u mention (http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=65) here Smile

Yes ... the selection might differ from model to model ...

(02-14-2012 09:17 AM)euronet Wrote:  as for the other software packages I saw them but I dont know which is what and what they do Smile

Most of them are mentioned here in the Packages section ... http://delicate-linux.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5
But the package set on the CD is going to change in the future releases since our repository contains much more packages than currently available on the CD and the clean installation looks "empty" even if You select "Install all packages" option ... we're still in alpha phase and this is going to be redesigned.

(02-14-2012 09:17 AM)euronet Wrote:  I also saw the pic and the diff between the 2 cards 16/32 bit and I am trying to remember mine cards but as I said unfortunately I dont have them and its been a veery long time to recall a very small detail ( for that year ) I think it was 1998...
thanks once again

Yup ... that's understandable .... You're welcome ...
02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
(02-14-2012 11:35 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  I hate to say it, but it guess it would be wiser to look at a fleamarket, secondhandstore or a website for a working PCMCIA card. Most (16 bit) cards costs less than 10 dollar, at least what I've seen. Perhaps an idea?

Yes .... the three cards I'm gonna buy are currently in similar ranges (from 99Kc to 410Kc ..... that means from 5.20USD to 21.60USD)
02-14-2012, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 10:25 PM by euronet.)
a)Btw .... there's more software on the CD ...
Most of them are mentioned here in the Packages section ... http://delicate-linux.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5 ..

I was there reading/viewing and I decided to instal some things Smile
osmo, syasokoban, ninvaders, do u think my laptop will be ok with these applications ?

b)I hate to say it, but it guess it would be wiser to look at a fleamarket, secondhandstore or a website for a working PCMCIA card

mostly I agree with u , I started a quick search that later I will search deeper in local market here but seems most ppl dont know the difference that seems in this foto below:
This photo shows the difference between old Legacy and new CarBus card ...
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/...-photo.jpg

edit: I will search 1st in my market cause of product situation ( used ) I have to be sure it works

thanks again for all ur info + company Smile
02-14-2012, 11:04 PM
(02-14-2012 09:34 PM)euronet Wrote:  I was there reading/viewing and I decided to instal some things Smile
osmo, syasokoban, ninvaders, do u think my laptop will be ok with these applications ?

I don't know how much memory you have left (swap?). You can check that with 'htop'. I know for example that 'osmo' is using 3mb. In normal cases those packages would run without any problems, it's a matter of fact most of the programs would run. Some programs (mostly emulators) are asking a bit more to run smoothly, but that's logical :]

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae