Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very old laptop - need some help :)
02-11-2012, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 10:41 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Very old laptop - need some help :)
NOTE: First read my previous posts on the 2nd page ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pcmcia-cs-modules package can be downloaded here ...

http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/pkg/noupda...pkg.tar.gz

Please, download it ..... burn to CD and transfer to the laptop (copy the file to your home directory to make it easier)

Once it is transferred, install the package with:
pacman -U pcmcia-cs-modules-3.2.8-1.pkg.tar.gz

If you've already loaded any modules manually, then reboot or unload them using the -r parameter ... for example : modprobe -r ds

Try these steps:
1.) switch to the original pcmcia-cs module
pcmcia-cs-enable

2.) call depmod (some warning about unresolved symbol might occur .. ignore it)
depmod -a

3.) try to load the original i82365 module (and stop here if you get errors)
modprobe i82365 fast_pci=1
modprobe ds

4.) check the dmesg and lspci output ... if the card is present, you can make the changes permanent by modifying the /etc/rc.modules to contain the following lines in the right order ....
/usr/sbin/pcmcia-cs-enable
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe i82365 fast_pci=1
/sbin/modprobe ds

5.) continue with the wifi driver configuration

-------------------------------------

I know this might look terrible .... but I plan to automate this hard work once we test it ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Please, download it ..... burn to CD and transfer to the laptop : [done]
(copy the file to your home directory to make it easier) : [dont know how] need help here as I mentioned I am a bit new in linux world, I have exp in windows/dos but not that much in linux , cant even read the cd contents ( nooob ) Smile
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 09:22 AM
(02-12-2012 01:58 AM)euronet Wrote:  Please, download it ..... burn to CD and transfer to the laptop : [done]
(copy the file to your home directory to make it easier) : [dont know how] need help here as I mentioned I am a bit new in linux world, I have exp in windows/dos but not that much in linux , cant even read the cd contents ( nooob ) Smile

Ohhh .... sorry ... I sometimes easily forget.

You can do the following from the root account in order to install the modules:

1.) mount the CD
mount /dev/hdb /cdrom

2.) I told you to copy the file to your home directory, but the most easy way is to install it directly without copying (I expect you burned the file in the top level directory of the CD)
pacman -U /cdrom/pcmcia-cs-modules-3.2.8-1.pkg.tar.gz
02-12-2012, 11:21 AM
if this is ok I get under lspci, having all above commands done without errors/fail except depmod -a ( unresolved symbols which I ignored as u mention )
00:00.0 Host bridge: Opti Inc. 82C557 [Viper-M] (rev 14)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Opti Inc. 82C558 [Viper-M ISA + IDE] (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 7548
00:14.0 IDE interface: Opti Inc. 82C621 [Viper-M/N+] (rev 12)
is this ok to go on to the next procedure ? cause I didnt see my pcmcia listed anywhere (dmesg) or similar generic name
02-12-2012, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 02:44 PM by tavvva.)
(02-12-2012 11:21 AM)euronet Wrote:  if this is ok I get under lspci, having all above commands done without errors/fail except depmod -a ( unresolved symbols which I ignored as u mention )
00:00.0 Host bridge: Opti Inc. 82C557 [Viper-M] (rev 14)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Opti Inc. 82C558 [Viper-M ISA + IDE] (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 7548
00:14.0 IDE interface: Opti Inc. 82C621 [Viper-M/N+] (rev 12)
is this ok to go on to the next procedure ? cause I didnt see my pcmcia listed anywhere (dmesg) or similar generic name

Ok ... If You experienced no errors, then the module was probably loaded correctly, but something still doesn't work .... since the card isn't detected. Have You noticed any messages about IRQ problems in the dmesg listing? Something like "No IRQ found for the device" or something like that? You can pipe the dmesg output to the less command allowing you to scroll with arrows and search .... just do the following:
dmesg | less
then use arrows/PgUp/PgDown to scroll and 'q' to quit ...
Sometimes it's needed to change the PCMCIA mode in the BIOS setup in order to make it work. The WIFI card You mentioned acts as a PCI card whilst some older laptops are configured to work with Legacy cards only (ISA cards). I know You mentioned that you can't access the setup, what makes the situation more complicated. Could You please also repeat the procedure using the second bootloader entry (acpi=off) ?

1.) What happens if You run cardmgr from the root account ....
-AND-
2.) What happens when you eject and re-insert the card? Any changes in the dmesg?

Are you sure those ports were working correctly before? Have you tested them?

This remote troubleshooting is always a pain in the ass ... it takes too long and sometimes the explanation is not so easy and that leads to mistakes ... moreover, all the steps written by me can be combined and that leads to many scenarios which need to be tested ...

Anyway ... thanks in advance for answers ...
02-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Btw. do you have any instant messenger? (IRC, Jabber, ICQ) ...
02-12-2012, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 05:25 PM by euronet.)
{dmesg | less

nothing strange there like "no irq found for the device ..."}

{What happens if You run cardmgr from the root account ....

cardmgr[166]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[166]: another cardmgr is already running?}

{What happens when you eject and re-insert the card? Any changes in the dmesg?

nothing happens tried it twice , no changes }

{Are you sure those ports were working correctly before? Have you tested them?

used to work fine when win98 were installed in this laptop}

now I will try to do the same procedure ( acpi=off ) and let u know in a few
unfortunately I dont use messengers atm :/, used to use irc many yrs ago and skype, but its easy for me to setup one if needed

edit: I have running services: sshd. pcmcia, hdparm, net I disabled slim at the moment , easier for me to work from command line

edit 2:I did it twice with acpi=off but I had the same results , nothing changed.
I noticed smthing ( starting services: net [error] other services were ok ) I dont know if it has to do with it but I write it here as I saw it
thanks again Smile
02-13-2012, 02:15 AM
(02-12-2012 05:06 PM)euronet Wrote:  {dmesg | less

nothing strange there like "no irq found for the device ..."}

{What happens if You run cardmgr from the root account ....

cardmgr[166]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[166]: another cardmgr is already running?}

{What happens when you eject and re-insert the card? Any changes in the dmesg?

nothing happens tried it twice , no changes }

{Are you sure those ports were working correctly before? Have you tested them?

used to work fine when win98 were installed in this laptop}

now I will try to do the same procedure ( acpi=off ) and let u know in a few
unfortunately I dont use messengers atm :/, used to use irc many yrs ago and skype, but its easy for me to setup one if needed

edit: I have running services: sshd. pcmcia, hdparm, net I disabled slim at the moment , easier for me to work from command line

uhuhh ... it's too early for net and pcmcia services .... the pcmcia should stay disabled, because we're trying an alternative way .... it probably loaded the kernel ds driver before you managed to make the pcmcia-cs running and that's wrong, since both of them are different and can't be combined ..... so .... disable net and disable pcmcia ...... then reboot .... and then finally repeat the procedure ....

(02-12-2012 05:06 PM)euronet Wrote:  edit 2:I did it twice with acpi=off but I had the same results , nothing changed.
I noticed smthing ( starting services: net [error] other services were ok ) I dont know if it has to do with it but I write it here as I saw it
thanks again Smile
02-13-2012, 03:58 AM
a) uhuhh ... it's too early for net and pcmcia services .... the pcmcia should stay disabled, because we're trying an alternative way .... it probably loaded the kernel ds driver before you managed to make the pcmcia-cs running and that's wrong, since both of them are different and can't be combined ..... so .... disable net and disable pcmcia ...... then reboot .... and then finally repeat the procedure ....

net/pcmcia services disabled (running services = sshd + hdparm), I repeat procedure and I get some more info at bottom (these lines I didnt see when running net/pcmcia):
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.8
kernel build: 2.4.37.11 #19 Ne lis 12 15:03:16 UTC 2011
options: [pci] [cardbus]
Intel ISA/PCI/Cardbus PCIC probe:
Cirrus PD672x rev 00 ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00
host opts [0]: [ring] [65/6/3] [1/15/3]
host opts [1]: [ring] [65/6/3] [1/15/3]
ISA irqs (default) = 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12 polling interval = 1000ms

b)cardmgr

cardmgr[98]: watching 2 sockets
if I execute it twice ( which I did by mistake ) writes:
cardmgr[108]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[108]: another cardmgr is already running?
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 12:42 PM by tavvva.)
(02-13-2012 03:58 AM)euronet Wrote:  a) uhuhh ... it's too early for net and pcmcia services .... the pcmcia should stay disabled, because we're trying an alternative way .... it probably loaded the kernel ds driver before you managed to make the pcmcia-cs running and that's wrong, since both of them are different and can't be combined ..... so .... disable net and disable pcmcia ...... then reboot .... and then finally repeat the procedure ....

net/pcmcia services disabled (running services = sshd + hdparm), I repeat procedure and I get some more info at bottom (these lines I didnt see when running net/pcmcia):
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.8
kernel build: 2.4.37.11 #19 Ne lis 12 15:03:16 UTC 2011
options: [pci] [cardbus]
Intel ISA/PCI/Cardbus PCIC probe:
Cirrus PD672x rev 00 ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00
host opts [0]: [ring] [65/6/3] [1/15/3]
host opts [1]: [ring] [65/6/3] [1/15/3]
ISA irqs (default) = 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12 polling interval = 1000ms

This looks much better .... it means the controller is supported by the pcmcia-cs driver.
But... it's apparently in the ISA-to-PCMCIA mode and we need to make it eat PCI/CARDBUS wifi card. Unfortunately this driver is new for me and I have to read more docs in order to get more familiar with it. The module has 30 switches which can be combined and we need to figure out what your model exactly needs. I still hope we can make it work without changing the mode in the BIOS setup ... authors of the pcmcia-cs driver created a list of well known pcmcia-cs issues and they mentioned the need for manual mode switching in the BIOS setup as one of the issues in case of some laptops ...

(02-13-2012 03:58 AM)euronet Wrote:  b)cardmgr

cardmgr[98]: watching 2 sockets
if I execute it twice ( which I did by mistake ) writes:
cardmgr[108]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[108]: another cardmgr is already running?

Yes ... the cardmgr needs to be executed just once and the pcmcia service (previously enabled) is doing that too .... that's why you got those messages ...

Question .... what happens if You run cardmgr (just once) .... and then execute the following commands (with your wifi card inserted):
cardctl info
cardctl ident
cardctl status
cardctl config