Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very old laptop - need some help :)
02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Very old laptop - need some help :)
Hello
new member here Smile
recently I found that I couldnt throw away my very old laptop
Armada Compaq 4120T ( 1G hdd, 16mb ram, p1 120mhz, vga 1mb )
and with a friend's help we managed to install deli 0.72 on it
I am not an experienced user so I cant solve some problems that came after installation. I dont know how many problems so I will take them 1 by 1
each time and I will go on.
I turn on my laptop and log into deli so far so good but when I try to startX
I get a msg that says some things I dont understand, my friend says needs a config file to be corrected or a new one to be placed instead of this one that setup puts into my laptop, any1 has any idea how to solve it ? so I can go on to other procedures ( recognize devices etc .. )
thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Very old laptop - need some help :)
Welcome Euronet,

Before anything else, I'll recommend to install Delicate instead of Deli Linux 0.72.
Delicate contains several bugfixes (older versions seems to have issues with delitools for example).
Another thing is that the repository from Delicate is bigger and is growing :]
16 mb shouldn't be a problem, just give it a bit of a swap partition for the bigger programs.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 12:34 PM
(02-08-2012 11:01 AM)euronet Wrote:  Hello
new member here Smile

Welcome!

(02-08-2012 11:01 AM)euronet Wrote:  recently I found that I couldnt throw away my very old laptop
Armada Compaq 4120T ( 1G hdd, 16mb ram, p1 120mhz, vga 1mb )
and with a friend's help we managed to install deli 0.72 on it

With such HW You don't need to stay by DeLi 0.7.2 unless You really want to.
DeLi 0.7.2 is not developed and maintained anymore.
You can try DeLi(cate) 0.1 without any doubts ...

(02-08-2012 11:01 AM)euronet Wrote:  I am not an experienced user so I cant solve some problems that came after installation. I dont know how many problems so I will take them 1 by 1
each time and I will go on.
I turn on my laptop and log into deli so far so good but when I try to startX
I get a msg that says some things I dont understand, my friend says needs a config file to be corrected or a new one to be placed instead of this one that setup puts into my laptop, any1 has any idea how to solve it ? so I can go on to other procedures ( recognize devices etc .. )
thanks in advance

could You please take a photo of the error message, resize it to fit in the size constraints and attach it here?
Anyway .... I'm moving this thread to DeLi Linux section (Support).
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
1st of all I would like to thank u for ur replies Smile

#With such HW You don't need to stay by DeLi 0.7.2 unless You really want to.

I am always open to good ideas Smile , show me the way pls #

@could You please take a photo of the error message, resize it to fit in the size constraints and attach it here?

I will try though the msg is a bit long and I can't scroll up, I will use my mobile phone and I will post it here later @

thanks again for ur interest both Smile
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 08:36 PM by tavvva.)
(02-08-2012 01:15 PM)euronet Wrote:  1st of all I would like to thank u for ur replies Smile

#With such HW You don't need to stay by DeLi 0.7.2 unless You really want to.

I am always open to good ideas Smile , show me the way pls #

You can use the following DeLi 0.8 boot floppy image if Your laptop doesn't support booting from CDs ... don't worry about the version .... it actually can boot from any CD You put in the drive :]

http://deli.tavvva.net/0.8.0/floppies/de...2-boot.img

You can do the following in order to copy the image to the floppy ....
1.) Linux (root account)
dd if=deli_0.8.0-2-boot.img of=/dev/fd0
-OR-
2.) Windows
rawrite.exe

The latest DeLi(cate) ISO file is available for download here:

http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/download/i...alpha2.iso

I believe You know how to burn ISO to CD ... if not, then let me know, please ...

The installation videos are here:

http://delicate-linux.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=180

(02-08-2012 01:15 PM)euronet Wrote:  @could You please take a photo of the error message, resize it to fit in the size constraints and attach it here?

I will try though the msg is a bit long and I can't scroll up, I will use my mobile phone and I will post it here later @

Have You tried [Shift]+[PgUp] to scroll up?

(02-08-2012 01:15 PM)euronet Wrote:  thanks again for ur interest both Smile

You're welcome!
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 01:54 PM by tavvva.)
Btw. with 1GB HDD I would suggest you to use only 128MB for the swap space ... the rest for the root filesystem .... Ext2 would be a bit faster, but You can use Ext3 without worries since it's safer.
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
ok new day today Smile, after last night study/try I didnt manage to install deli 0.1 though I did the boot disk + cd as mentioned above , I get a msg when I boot from disk [GRUB Loading stage2....Read Error] (from my boot disk, ver 0.8)
and [GRUB Read Error] (from the boot disk I did earlier from above link {http://deli.tavvva.net/0.8.0/floppies/de...2-boot.img})
I tried several times and several floppy disks ( using format a: and then rawrite ) but I had the same failure
I also tried to use (dd if=deli_0.8.0-2-boot.img of=/dev/fd0) but I get "deli_0.8.0-2-boot.img": No such file or directory
in my laptop I have 0.72 installed with boot disk from 0.8 so I "played" with that .img file using 0.8.2-2 and 0.7.2-1 but I get same msg back that file/directory doesnt exist
so any ideas how to get over it ?
btw I got startx working ( needed setup, delisetup ) so I have 1 question , can I update my 0.72 to 0.1, through console or desktop with the contents of this cd http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/download/i...alpha2.iso ? <-[cd already burned]
thanks
02-09-2012, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 08:47 PM by tavvva.)
(02-09-2012 01:45 PM)euronet Wrote:  ok new day today Smile, after last night study/try I didnt manage to install deli 0.1 though I did the boot disk + cd as mentioned above , I get a msg when I boot from disk [GRUB Loading stage2....Read Error] (from my boot disk, ver 0.8)
and [GRUB Read Error] (from the boot disk I did earlier from above link

Hmmm .... that doesn't sound good. It seems Your floppy drive is dying. It might be dusty/dirty or miscalibrated. In the first case some cleaning could help. In the second case a very controlled pressure on the button can move the head in the right direction and the floppy could start reading better. But the button needs to stay under a constant pressure until the data are successfuly read. I know it might sound like a total bullshit, but it isn't and I use this workaround quite often. Anyway it's quite difficult to find the right pressure and hold it stable without accidental floppy ejection.

(02-09-2012 01:45 PM)euronet Wrote:  {http://deli.tavvva.net/0.8.0/floppies/de...2-boot.img})
I tried several times and several floppy disks ( using format a: and then rawrite ) but I had the same failure

I remember situations, when I had 5 different floppies and all of them were damaged. But I couldn't believe that Big Grin

(02-09-2012 01:45 PM)euronet Wrote:  I also tried to use (dd if=deli_0.8.0-2-boot.img of=/dev/fd0) but I get "deli_0.8.0-2-boot.img": No such file or directory
in my laptop I have 0.72 installed with boot disk from 0.8 so I "played" with that .img file using 0.8.2-2 and 0.7.2-1 but I get same msg back that file/directory doesnt exist
so any ideas how to get over it ?

I really hope You're in the same directory where the floppy image is placed.
It seems that, the floppy device file is missing for some reason.
But let's check it ....

Please, provide me with output of the following command:
ls /dev/fd*

(02-09-2012 01:45 PM)euronet Wrote:  btw I got startx working ( needed setup, delisetup ) so I have 1 question , can I update my 0.72 to 0.1, through console or desktop with the contents of this cd http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/download/i...alpha2.iso ? <-[cd already burned]
thanks

Good question ... I didn't expect somebody to need that and thus I haven't created such update procedure yet. Let me do some tests and we could try that.
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 09:34 PM by tavvva.)
Question .... do You have a working network connection under the DeLi 0.7.2 ?

Question2 ..... how much free space do You have on the rootfs ?
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 11:36 PM by tavvva.)
Question3 ..... Are you sure Your laptop isn't able to boot from the CD ?

If You're really really sure, then continue with reading .....

The following way doesn't need a network connection and it is also better than any updates because it will clean all the garbage from 0.7.2 .... BUT .... You have only one try! Big Grin If anything during the installation fails, then You're lost ... Once You start the installation, there's no way back unless you make Your floppy working ...

if Your harddrive is accessible under /dev/hda and Your cdrom is accessible under /dev/hdb then the following procedure should work (from the root account) :

cd /
mount /dev/hdb /mnt
tar xf /mnt/pkg/grub-0.97-8.pkg.tar.gz
grub-install /dev/hda
cp -r /mnt/boot/* /boot/
reboot

and then follow the normal DeLi(cate) 0.1 installation procedure ...

the lines above were supposed to clone the boot stuff from the cdrom to Your harddrive and reboot ... if You encounter ANY problem during the install, then DO NOT turn the laptop off and let me know immediately.

I've tested the procedure on two computers and it worked in my case. So .... hopefully this is gonna work for You too ...