Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
rogue 5.4.4 in the repositories
01-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Photo rogue 5.4.4 in the repositories
Rogue is a famous RPG for the console.

Rogue is a typical fantasy role playing game, based heavily on the dungeon crawling concept where you explore down through levels to recover the Amulet of Yendor (Rodney backwards), which you then need to take back to the surface. As the levels get increasingly more difficult the further you progress, it's extremely difficult to make it to the end. The player's character is represented on screen by the "@" symbol, however this was changed to "☺" in a later port. The rest of the in game characters and items are shown as various letters of the alphabet and characters within the ASCII set.

Movement is made with the arrow keys, however earlier versions used "HJKL" as the main controls. There are also single key presses for actions such as "quaff" (Q), "eat" (E) and wield (W). The levels are made up for 3x3 rooms, with some rooms being replaced with a dead-end corridor. The key is to balance exploration with progression, too much exploring and you waste food and risk loss of health to monsters, too much focus on progression and you may miss important and useful weapons or items.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
RE: rogue 5.4.4 in the repositories
I died in 2nd level Big Grin There was no food and stairs. Maybe a bug? Or ... I'm probably not good enough to understand what happened Big Grin
01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
(01-23-2012 12:47 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I died in 2nd level Big Grin There was no food and stairs. Maybe a bug? Or ... I'm probably not good enough to understand what happened Big Grin

I suck in every RPG-kinda game.
I recently build FreeCiv, but that's even worse... I can start it, but I don't have clue what to do...
That's the main reason why I've made some PKGBUILD files for emulators. Games like pacman and space-invaders are understandable for me Tongue

01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
(01-23-2012 01:34 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  
(01-23-2012 12:47 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I died in 2nd level Big Grin There was no food and stairs. Maybe a bug? Or ... I'm probably not good enough to understand what happened Big Grin

I suck in every RPG-kinda game.
I recently build FreeCiv, but that's even worse... I can start it, but I don't have clue what to do...
That's the main reason why I've made some PKGBUILD files for emulators. Games like pacman and space-invaders are understandable for me Tongue

I like dungeons and strategies. I'm gonna build SDL version of Dungeon Master and possibly more games like that.
01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Ohhhh..... pity .... the SDL version seems to be unfinished ...
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
I found a concurrent project (still alive) ..... gonna check that
01-23-2012, 10:37 PM
I found 'powder' and it works, compiling took almost all the power of my P3 (360 mb normal mem and it was the first time the swap was used approx 340 mb). The game itself is after compiling not a 'memory-eater'

01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Ok .... sooo .... the csb clone seems to be finally patched, compiled and working .... but the graphics seems to have unknown license. I'm gonna ask the FTL crew if we are allowed to use it.
01-23-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2012 11:59 PM by nl2stk.)
(01-23-2012 11:26 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Ok .... sooo .... the csb clone seems to be finally patched, compiled and working .... but the graphics seems to have unknown license. I'm gonna ask the FTL crew if we are allowed to use it.

Powder is rebuild and the PKGBUILD is posted Smile
It was the first time the P3 was almost smoking (cpu 100%, etc..)

EDIT: Does the FTL crew exists? AFAIK they broke up in the nineties..

01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
(01-23-2012 11:53 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  Does the FTL crew exists? AFAIK they broke up in the nineties..

I hope they are still alive. I found just one indirect email contact. It would be very nice to exchange few words with the legendary FTL crew. Cool Of course, we could use the free graphics from DMJava, but i somehow like the original graphics more, even if it has a lower resolution.