Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[tip] Standard folders
01-05-2012, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 10:50 AM by nl2stk.)
[tip] Standard folders
One thing I like about Gnome was the 'locations' in the menupanel. Just a couple of shortcuts to several standard directories. Lazy as I am, I wanted that in IceWM too. Now are the files that I wanted not much more than 2 clicks away. Perhaps an idea for others too Smile
What have I done? At first I've created *standard* directories:
Documents
Pictures
Music
Videos
Downloads

Then I changed the 'menu' from IceWM a bit, I replaced the file-manager entry by this:

Code:
separator
    menu Maps folder {
        prog "Home" user-home rox
        prog "Music" folder-music rox Music
        prog "Pictures" folder-pictures rox Pictures
        prog "Documents" folder-documents rox Documents
        prog "Downloads" folder-download rox Downloads
        prog "Videos" folder-videos rox Videos
    }
separator
Keep in mind that everything in this example with an '-' in it is the iconname and is not standard in DeliCate, so you have the replace that with the iconname your using! Check your ./config/icewm/icons for examples who are usable! But that's obvious I think. The result is something like this (except for the Dutch language).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
RE: [tip] Standard folders
Something like that can be produced with the new menu generator too ... I just need to find a way, how to do that with minimal effort Smile
01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
I hope I don't give you another headache with this, after all if someone like this they can copy and paste it.
Perhaps it's something for another release, I don't know... In that case only a few directories must be maked during the installation and the menu needs a few lines more. It save you the work for creating more code :] I strongly believe in the freedom of choice, but I think it's very userfriendly and most of them like something like this. If they don't, they can easly change it...

It's just an idea :]

01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
(01-05-2012 02:03 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I hope I don't give you another headache with this, after all if someone like this they can copy and paste it.

There's no need for any changes in my code unless You'd like to have this section separated with separator :]
The generator supports Menu-header and Menu-footer category, so this directory can have it's own entry in the group mapping file and be a part of the header or footer. We have to decide that yet. We can create a separate package containing just a set of desktop files generating these menu entries ... and this package would depend on rox.
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
(01-05-2012 05:17 PM)tavvva Wrote:  There's no need for any changes in my code unless You'd like to have this section separated with separator :]

Hahaha yes it was all about the seperators, the rest was a lame excuse to use them Tongue
What I meant is that it might be something for a newer version and that it's something with less priority. But it's great that the generator can make something like that... even with the missing separators :]