Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Menu generator
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 02:24 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Menu generator
(01-12-2012 08:09 AM)Compact Wrote:  Goodmorning

Good morning.

Since all the S.M.A.R.T. values are filled with 0, I'm pretty sure, that they are not implemented in the CF controller of Your card. The only implemented feature seems to be the Power cycle value and that can't tell us what we need to know.

(01-12-2012 08:09 AM)Compact Wrote:  $sudo fsck -t ext2 /dev/sda3

Gives up "clean" and didn't repair anything on my Lubuntu system.
sda3 = Delicate install

The corruption could be in the content of files, not in the structure itself, but the chances are lower now.

(01-12-2012 08:09 AM)Compact Wrote:  It seems the rc.conf is still intact for my hostname seems untouched .............

That means there was no configuration replacement. And that's even more strange.
Is the hostname set correctly after the reboot?
Could You please ...
1.) Calculate md5sum of the /etc/rc file
2.) Copy and paste ~/.xinitrc of Your root and non-root account (if exists)
3.) Copy and paste Your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
4.) Tell me how You start the X session ...
  1. with slim started automatically as service
  2. with startx entered manually after the login
  3. other way (I remember You were playing with some autologin stuff)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 09:41 AM by tavvva.)
Quote:Is there a chance that it has something to do with Delicate's writing strategies ? Or do you think CF is not trustworthy ?

The writing is done by the kernel and our kernel is clean Vanilla ... that means without additional patches. It's hard to guess how CF cards are handled by the kernel. There might be some timeouts or cache issues during the writing. Unfortunately I have no CF card with IDE interface for testing.
01-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Ok ... I'm gonna test that.
01-13-2012, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 04:16 PM by tavvva.)
(01-12-2012 02:56 PM)Compact Wrote:  bc73acba6c65202762fe824ead45f5a2 /media/delicate0.1a/etc/rc

This one is apparently from the CD.
I was interrested in the /etc/rc placed on the rootfs.
But it's probably not relevant anymore.

(01-12-2012 02:56 PM)Compact Wrote:  ~/.xinitrc

Seems to be correctly generated ...

(01-12-2012 02:56 PM)Compact Wrote:  /root/.xinitrc

Seems to be also correct and not touched by the menu-generator at all.
And even of that You get no icewm ...

(01-12-2012 02:56 PM)Compact Wrote:  autologin

I've tested that several times (trying different variations) and everything works without any signs of problems in my case.
All the selected WMs start and the menu gets correctly generated.

(01-12-2012 02:56 PM)Compact Wrote:  I can't find any etx/X11 nor any xorg.conf now.

Was the xorg.conf file present before the update?

As we still have no reproduction scenario, I'm running out of ideas ... Is the system accessible via ssh? We could eventualy exchange temporary login data via messenger. Ssh tunnels are also possible if You have no public IP.

Could You please also attach the pacman -Q output?
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 08:00 PM by tavvva.)
(01-13-2012 07:38 PM)Compact Wrote:  I did compile and install higher versions of gdbm, links, netsurf, scrnsaverproto, and xorg-util-macros.

I downgraded them again to the repo versions.
Did a packman -Syu so that everything is up to date. Pacman, Delitools and menu-generator were changed I think.
Removed icewm.
Re-installed icewm.
Rebooted, ran delisetup, ran startx, removed /tmp/X0-lock, removed icewm dirs after re-uninstall, etc etc
Several times.
Icewm didn't come back. All I got was the cross for the mouse with the b/w raster background.
Until I ran delisetup and choosed for fbdev. Now I got icewm back.
And now I can also choose again for fbvesa ...............with a clear icewm !

Don't know. Things started going wrong when I started with menu-generator (and Delisetup?).
Untill then everything was stable.
But a co-incident can happen.
For now I think it had something to do with fbdev and/or fbvesa .......????
And I feel sorry that the reason couldn't be traced ................

Uhuhhh ... I see You did a lot of things :] In such cases something unexpected could happen. Do You boot with the vga= kernel parameter? The vesa driver can stop working when You activate the framebuffer with the vga= parameter.

Do I understand correctly, that the issue "somehow" disappear and You have a working desktop environment again? Is the menu-generator working correctly in Your case?

Thank You.
03-13-2012, 03:39 PM
(03-13-2012 10:31 AM)Compact Wrote:  menu-generator seems to be working under Arch-linux

I'm really enthousiastic Smile
Light-Lighter-Lightest --> Arch-Connochaet-Delicate --> 256mb-128mb-64mb --> i686-i586-i386
Approximatly.

I'm trying to get the same look and feel for all 3 (with only the package restrictions)
So the wm choice is: icewm
In Arch I directly missed: menu-generator
For it is such a handsome piece of art !
So I tried this time to build an Arch PKGBUILD from a Delicate one Smile
And Whow. It seems to be working !

Nice experiment, but it won't work the same way, because the Arch's desktop files might contain incompatible categories and you could end up with top level menu full of unsorted garbage :] At least till You edit the menu-generator group definition file :]
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
(03-13-2012 04:28 PM)Compact Wrote:  Everything seems to be running fine right now. I'm glad too with the poweroff and reboot button Smile And, of course, added run-free Smile

You really did a nice thing with menu-generator.

I'm glad to read that :]