Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Menu generator
01-06-2012, 12:30 AM
RE: Menu generator
You can look at the following list of rebuilt packages:

http://delicate.tavvva.net/forum/showthr...675#pid675

and then look at the PKGBUILDs in the source repository to get some inspiration:

http://delicate.tavvva.net/0.1/src/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 11:21 AM by nl2stk.)
(01-06-2012 12:30 AM)tavvva Wrote:  You can look at the following list of rebuilt packages:

http://delicate.tavvva.net/forum/showthr...675#pid675

and then look at the PKGBUILDs in the source repository to get some inspiration:

http://delicate.tavvva.net/0.1/src/

That's a great help!
Just one question, for other PKGBUILD files that are made somewhere in the future.
Do we have to put the icons in the attachment? (most logical, but better asked and be sure than..).

(01-05-2012 11:08 PM)tavvva Wrote:  There's nothing like a recommended xterm window size if You mean that ... Each application can have different window size ... for example myman looks well with -geometry 58x35. It depends on the application :]

True, I meant the colours. Some applications don't need a colorsetting and others (like centerim) are pretty painfull without them. I didn't realise (at that moment) that the settings for this are in the .desktop file.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
01-06-2012, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 12:03 PM by tavvva.)
First of all ... I rebuilt the packages again since there was a condition checking the trigger script presence missing ... please check the source repository again ... this is hopefully final version in scope of the mass rebuild :]

(01-06-2012 11:02 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  Just one question, for other PKGBUILD files that are made somewhere in the future.
Do we have to put the icons in the attachment? (most logical, but better asked and be sure than..).

Yes ... it's probably the easiest way ... other possibility is to make a .tar.xz archive containing all the binary attachments and then use uuencode archive.tar.xz archive.tar.xz > output.txt in order to convert it to plain text .... the result text block can be put in the code tags Smile But this is only for small files ... if there's a need for bigger ones, then try to send them to my email or upload to some public servers for sharing.
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
(01-06-2012 12:00 PM)tavvva Wrote:  ... other possibility is to make a .tar.xz archive containing all the binary attachments and then use uuencode archive.tar.xz archive.tar.xz > output.txt in order to convert it to plain text .... the result text block can be put in the code tags Smile But this is only for small files .

uuencode Smile The last time I was using it, it was with JNOS. That was years ago when packetradio was populair on the CB (long before ADSL/Cable internet). My username comes from that period :]

tavvva Wrote:.. if there's a need for bigger ones, then try to send them to my email or upload to some public servers for sharing.

In case of public servers it would be wise to put them on servers that don't delete images after a while. There are a few 'trustable'.

01-11-2012, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 07:43 PM by tavvva.)
(01-11-2012 12:28 PM)Compact Wrote:  After upgrading the whole system my with "pacman -Syu" my whole X-desktop is fucked up. Resolution is too low and no fonts visible. So unworkable.
I managed to logout and found:

hostname: Unknown host
xauth: creating new authority file ~/.serverauth.27059 [but I didn't find it ?]
using ~/.icewm for private configuration files [didn't find this one either ?]

I'm quite sure this was caused by the filesystem package update. This is still unresolved issue. The package needs to be rebuilt to avoid replacing configuration files when upgrading from DeLi 0.8. Was that Your case?

Moreover a new pacman config is usually replaced by a new one where [cdrom] is chosen by default. This needs to be solved by me too. We're still in the alpha phase and several things still need to be redesigned. So ... please, be more patient and tolerant Smile The problem is not caused by You.

(01-11-2012 12:28 PM)Compact Wrote:  During the upgrade proces I got these message with every file it updates:
menu-generator daemon: geen proces afgebroken (=dutch --> In English: No process Broken-off)

Yes, I know about this issue. That happens on systems, where the menu-generator-daemon is installed, but not running. The fix is already prepared and waiting for new package build. The daemon waiting for triggers is going to be completely redesigned ... so take it still as a temporary solution.

(01-11-2012 12:28 PM)Compact Wrote:  Found the message of 8 jan. Tavvva adviced to use the updated Delisetup.
Who would initially think of that ? Not me !
Used it according to instructions (there would also be fluxbox but I found none)

Fluxbox is not in the default installation and needs to be installed first in order to appear in the delisetup menu.

(01-11-2012 12:28 PM)Compact Wrote:  Rebooted.
No succes
$menu-generator icewm
No succes.
Reboot.
No succes.
$sudo menu-generator icewm
No succes
Reboot
No succes

X starts with: Unknown host
And the whole desktop stays fucked up.

So I'm stuck and can't test anything under X for the moment.
No idea what I did wrong ......... ??

The update is probably not finished because of the replaced pacman.conf file .... Please, change the pacman.conf to use the [main] repository again and finish the update and the things should go well again. If You have any problems, please, don't hesitate to ask ... since some issues could still appear.

I'm sorry. These issues appeared after the alpha CD release and I had no timeslot for retesting of the upgrade procedure.
01-11-2012, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 09:23 PM by tavvva.)
I just removed the filesystem package from the pacman's database. It doesn't need to be updated. It was added to the database by accident.
The pacman package has been updated to preserve its own config files when updating. I had to use a small hack, since the DeLi 0.8 version is missing NoUpgrade directive in the pacman.conf and there's no other way to avoid replacing than do a backup in the pre_upgrade() scriptlet and restoration in the post_upgrade() scriptlet.
It should be more safe now.
Anyway .... I'm gonna retest the DeLi 0.8 -> Deli(cate) 0.1 upgrade procedure ...

We definitely need some configuration merging tools ...
01-11-2012, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 10:25 PM by tavvva.)
The upgrade instructions have been changed ...

http://delicate.tavvva.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=73

Theo, could You please change Your dutch translation accordingly?
01-11-2012, 10:57 PM
(01-11-2012 10:06 PM)tavvva Wrote:  The upgrade instructions have been changed ...

http://delicate.tavvva.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=73

Theo, could You please change Your dutch translation accordingly?

Done :]

01-11-2012, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 08:28 AM by tavvva.)
(01-11-2012 11:07 PM)Compact Wrote:  I'm afraid we are speaking here from a rather fresh install from the Delicate iso.
pacman.conf still refers to:
[main]
Server = http://delicate.tavvva.net/0.1/pkg
Earlier I have also done an update with this installed Delicate without any problems. So according to my opinion the problem arised when I started with menu-generator.

The menu generator really can't replace Your rc.conf file holding the hostname. The only package replacing the rc.conf is the filesystem package. Hard to guess what really happened and how.

Could You please run uname -a and paste the output here in the forum?

(01-11-2012 11:07 PM)Compact Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 07:38 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Yes, I know about this issue. That happens on systems, where the menu-generator-daemon is installed, but not running. The fix is already prepared and waiting for new package build. The daemon waiting for triggers is going to be completely redesigned ... so take it still as a temporary solution.

Why ? If this is not working ?

The message is produced by the trigger script and it's absolutely harmless. It is just a warning saying, that the menu-generator-trigger script couldn't send a trigger signal to the menu-generator-daemon. That's logical, because the menu-generator-daemon is not running right after being installed. Anyway ... this cosmetic issue is fixed now in the second release of the 0.3 version. I just supressed those messages.

(01-11-2012 11:07 PM)Compact Wrote:  If you know about this issue I think it better not be in the repo's then ? For my whole desktop is fucked up now after a rather cumbersome fresh install. Do you mind ?

I understand how You feel. But this is really NOT caused by the menu-generator package. This could be related to the latest icewm update where the icons directory has been changed to a symlink pointing to the pixmaps directory.

(01-11-2012 11:07 PM)Compact Wrote:  Is there a way to put the initial configuration back for icewm ?

You can uninstall the icewm package and install the original one from the CD, but I would like to encourage You to help me with troubleshooting.
01-11-2012, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 12:04 AM by tavvva.)
Anyway ....

I just tested the following procedures:
- Upgrade from DeLi 0.8 to DeLi(cate) 0.1 ... worked without problems on 2 testing systems
- Clean Deli(cate) 0.1 install + update ... worked without problems on 2 testing systems

You say : "Resolution is too low and no fonts visible."

None of the updated components could directly cause that. I suspect some nasty issue with the filesystem (like corrupted files). That might be caused by HW failure. Could You please check Your harddrive S.M.A.R.T. values? Package smartmontools .... command smartctl -A /dev/hda