Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Menu generator
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 10:09 PM by tavvva.)
Menu generator
I just finished an icewm menu generator "prototype" ... it's written in bash and has just 52 lines Big Grin

I'd like to rewrite it in pure C once it is tested ... the bash speed is horrible :]

It cannot be released until we rebuild all packages to contain .desktop file + icon + .install file for menu refresh Sad
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
RE: Menu generator
(01-01-2012 09:49 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I just finished an icewm menu generator "prototype" ... it's written in bash and has just 52 lines Big Grin

I'd like to rewrite it in pure C once it is tested ... the bash speed is horrible :]

It cannot be released until we rebuild all packages to contain .desktop file + icon + .install file for menu refresh Sad

That's great!
But it's a pity that a lot of packages doesn't have a .desktop file + icon. So I guess we have to create a lot of that stuff ourselves. The . desktop files and icons are not the issue (the first one can easily be created, and I've collect a few icons during my search for it for JWM). But I don't know how an install file looks like.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2012 03:03 PM by tavvva.)
(01-01-2012 11:22 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  That's great!
But it's a pity that a lot of packages doesn't have a .desktop file + icon. So I guess we have to create a lot of that stuff ourselves.

Yes, we have :] But that's good ... isn't it? We can create our own and nice free icons Big Grin
Our icewm supports xpm format only. The question is if that's good or not. We should probably do some performance tests on slow hw. I can create tools for automatic icon conversion during the build ... that's not problem at all ...

(01-01-2012 11:22 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  The . desktop files and icons are not the issue (the first one can easily be created, and I've collect a few icons during my search for it for JWM). But I don't know how an install file looks like.

The .install file just needs to call a menu-generator-trigger script in all sections (update section too ... since there could be a change in the .desktop file). This script is supposed to send a signal to menu-generator-daemon. The daemon needs to be started automatically with the WM session. This needs to be redesigned by me first :] But we can at least start creating new packages with the menu generator support. The trigger script name is defined and that's all we need to know.
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Sarcastic mode: * Look at the repositories, and think it's a piece of cake *.

Well time to go back to IceWM and see what I can do.
I'll check the latest PKGBUILD if they have .desktop files.
Another question, is there a standard size for the icons?

01-03-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 12:23 AM by tavvva.)
(01-02-2012 01:39 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I'll check the latest PKGBUILD if they have .desktop files.

If You want to create new .desktop files, then please keep in mind, that we like localized Name entries ... try to add as many translations as You can ... I'll add czech and slovak entries during the review.

(01-02-2012 01:39 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  Another question, is there a standard size for the icons?

Yes ... our current solution accepts appname_16x16.xpm and appname_32x32.xpm icons placed in the /usr/share/icewm/icons ... but placing the icons in this directory can unfortunately cause conflicts in the future, therefore I recommend to put the icons in the /usr/share/pixmaps and the icewm package will be rebuilt with directory symlink. Anyway ... we need to think about future changes and other WMs .... so ... don't remove the original PNG icons ... let them untouched and just add their XPM versions to the same location.

These menu related changes are quite major, but inevitable .... it's impossible to maintain the menus without automation.
The very first C version of the menu generator is almost done ... I'm sorry that I prefer this activity now .... the reviews need to wait until this is done ....
01-03-2012, 02:00 AM
(01-03-2012 12:16 AM)tavvva Wrote:  If You want to create new .desktop files, then please keep in mind, that we like localized Name entries ... try to add as many translations as You can ... I'll add czech and slovak entries during the review.

I'll take a look at it. Dutch ain't a problem, German neither. I'm not to sure about my French, so I have to look at it once or twice.

tavvva Wrote:. Anyway ... we need to think about future changes and other WMs .... so ... don't remove the original PNG icons ... let them untouched and just add their XPM versions to the same location.

Yep, I believe that several '*Box' WM are not very much different.
JWM is another story, but the map with icons can be added to the system.jwmrc
So in that case it saves half the work

tavvva Wrote:These menu related changes are quite major, but inevitable .... it's impossible to maintain the menus without automation.
The very first C version of the menu generator is almost done ... I'm sorry that I prefer this activity now .... the reviews need to wait until this is done ....

I know, not everybody likes editting menu files.
Well the PKGBUILD files don't walk away, so take your time.
Meanwhile I'm busy with another project too, making another look for Rox-Filer.
I like rox-filer, it's great in options and light but the standard look is (almost) retro :]

01-04-2012, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 10:02 PM by tavvva.)
The monolithic C version is done. It currently supports icewm only, but the main part is done and other WMs can be very easily added subsequently. I skipped any kind of localized alphabetical sorting because of the potential performance impact. Only time will tell if it's acceptable or not Big Grin

Some of the .desktop files might contain unwanted categories and thus their patching/altering in scope of the PKGBUILD might be needed.

I'd like to introduce new categories "Console-game" and "Console-application". They need to be used in case of all console games/apps.
The "Terminal=" entry is ignored -> I prefer manual specification of the the right xterm window size and colors for the console apps. The *-xterm scripts are not needed anymore with this new solution, but I have nothing against their usage.

The icon format/naming compatibility needs to be tested ... I'm thinking about the PNG support for Icewm.
01-04-2012, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 10:02 PM by tavvva.)
At first well done!

(01-04-2012 06:05 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Some of the .desktop files might contain unwanted categories and thus their patching/altering in scope of the PKGBUILD might be needed.

I've already seen a few .desktop files that seriously needs attention.
So for the other builders please check them very well!!

"tavvva Wrote:I'd like to introduce new categories "Console-game" and "Console-application". They need to be used in case of all console games/apps.
The "Terminal=" entry is ignored -> I prefer manual specification of the the right xterm window size and colors for the console apps. The *-xterm scripts are not needed anymore with this new solution, but I have nothing against their usage.

Well done, I like the idea of categories.. :]
A simple remark can be placed in the PKGBUILD/Repo topic with a 'recommended' xterm window.

01-05-2012, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 05:21 PM by tavvva.)
I just uploaded a very first menu-generator package in the repo .... the code looks like shit (it's maybe the worst code I've ever made Smile ) but this could be fixed "one day" Big Grin
01-05-2012, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 11:08 PM by tavvva.)
(01-04-2012 06:50 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  A simple remark can be placed in the PKGBUILD/Repo topic with a 'recommended' xterm window.

There's nothing like a recommended xterm window size if You mean that ... Each application can have different window size ... for example myman looks well with -geometry 58x35. It depends on the application :]