Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DeLi(cate) on VirtualBox
12-23-2011, 09:51 PM
DeLi(cate) on VirtualBox
Hi tavvva !
Sorry for the looooong delay, but I was too busy to dive deeper into a new project. Hope I can spend some time in the next weeks...
As I still use my old laptop (Toshiba 4000CDT) on a regular basis and for production purposes, I decided to set up a VM on my "big" machine. This is a ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard with an AMD Athlon-64 4000+ CPU, ATI Radeon 4270 video card and 2 GB RAM . At the moment Debian Squeeze and ConnochatOS are running -- both are stable now, but I had some troubles during the installation with the ATI card as I use a CRT monitor on this machine.

Additionally I created under VirtualBox two VMs there - one with Windows98, the other with DELI(CATE). W98 is running now, but it still has some video issues. Wel, but let's get back to the main story -- DeLI(cate).

The installation of the VM run pretty well. Only the reboot command CRTL+ALT+DEL at the end didn't work. I had to stop the VM from the VirtualBox menu.
My current settings : 1,56 GB harddisk, 256 MB RAM (maybe not a good idea -- do you think I should reduce the RAM for compatibility reasons when I start creating packages ?).
Before I can test Delicate, I want to get the Guest Additions of VirtualBox running and the the network setup of Delicate . As I have no experience with VMs at all, it may take some time. But then I'm ready to participate at little bit in the development of Delicate, if you want some help.

And last but not least --- thanks for your efforts, and.... merry christmas !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2011, 10:41 PM
RE: DeLi(cate) on VirtualBox
Hi delix :]
Nice to see You here.

(12-23-2011 09:51 PM)delix Wrote:  As I still use my old laptop (Toshiba 4000CDT) ....

The following thread might be useful for You if You'd like to test it on Your Toshiba 4000 directly without VirtualBox ...
http://delicate.tavvva.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=60

(12-23-2011 09:51 PM)delix Wrote:  The installation of the VM runs pretty well. Only the reboot command CRTL+ALT+DEL at the end didn't work. I had to stop the VM from the VirtualBox menu.

reboot command might work too ...

(12-23-2011 09:51 PM)delix Wrote:  My current settings : 1,56 GB harddisk, 256 MB RAM (maybe not a good idea -- do you think I should reduce the RAM for compatibility reasons when I start creating packages ?).

You can lower the amount of RAM just for testing purposes, but I wouldn't reduce it for package building ... I would increase it to 512MB instead Smile The harddrive space for building might be insufficient too. I use 8GBs of harddrive space for my DeLi(cate) buildsystem.

(12-23-2011 09:51 PM)delix Wrote:  Before I can test Delicate, I want to get the Guest Additions of VirtualBox running

I'm unsure if the VBox Guest Additions support our platform ... but anyway ... they are not needed at all. Bi-directional copying can be done with scp if You configure the VirtualBox network as attached to Bridged Adapter. I recommend You to select PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973) as Adapter Type.

(12-23-2011 09:51 PM)delix Wrote:  ... and the the network setup of Delicate . As I have no experience with VMs at all, it may take some time. But then I'm ready to participate at little bit in the development of Delicate, if you want some help.

Autodetection should work well for the previously mentioned PCnet-FAST III adapter emulation.

(12-23-2011 09:51 PM)delix Wrote:  And last but not least --- thanks for your efforts, and.... merry christmas !

I thank You ... since the basic idea of the DeLi support resurrection came from Your head :]
Merry Christmas!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-24-2011, 10:58 AM
(12-23-2011 10:41 PM)tavvva Wrote:  Autodetection should work well for the previously mentioned PCnet-FAST III adapter emulation.

Call me a lazy bastard, but on my Virtual Box I didn't configure that much :]
Installed as Linux, give it some ram (512mb), hd-space (8 gb) and a name.
I believe it's using PCnet-FAST III standard, not configured by me that's for sure.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
12-28-2011, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 05:16 PM by delix.)
got it running so far (haven't tested/configured the xserver yet).

However, for the guest additions you must build several kernel moduls and therefore the kernel headers and some parts of the kernel sources are needed.
I couldn't find them in any of the repos. Is there another packages with the sources somewhere or do I have to grab the (whole -- 37 MB ?) kernel from kernel.org ?
I think haary used for ConnOS a stripped-down version for the kernel source with only those parts really necessary for the modul building. However, kernel stuff is a little bit over my head, as I never happend to do something more extraordinary than removing useless modules from the kernels I built for my machines.....
12-28-2011, 08:03 PM
(12-28-2011 05:16 PM)delix Wrote:  I think haary used for ConnOS a stripped-down version for the kernel source with only those parts really necessary for the modul building.

Yes ... that's been already mentioned somewhere in this forum :] It's usualy called kernel-devel and it's already in my TODO list ...

I believe I could finally focus on the TODO stuff again tomorrow .... there's a lot of PKGBUILDs to be reviewed, etc.
12-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Hmm, I have problems to get Icewm running.

At the moment I choose the vesa driver and the PS/2 mouse at /dev/psaux. The xorg.log says everything is detected and okay.
The exec icewm-session is in the .xinitec I copied from /root and chowned to the user.
The Icewm screen starts obviosly and I get a full screen with the dark-blue background. However, than it stucks : no menu appears and the mouse is frozen.
I must kill the xserver with alt+ctrl+backspace to reach the console again.
There I see the "icewmtray uses /home/<user>/.icewm ...."

When I checked the home directory, the .icewm folder is still missing. I copied it from /usr/share/icewm , but saw no changes.

Acutally, I think the .icewm folder should be created at the very first time the user start the exec icewm-session command. This doesn't work for me at moment.

Any idea what this is and how to solve this issue ?
12-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Perhaps a dumb question, but is ~/.config/icewm present?
I believe most icewm stuff is in here.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
12-30-2011, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2011 09:34 PM by tavvva.)
(12-30-2011 12:05 PM)delix Wrote:  Hmm, I have problems to get Icewm running.

At the moment I choose the vesa driver and the PS/2 mouse at /dev/psaux. The xorg.log says everything is detected and okay.

Any idea what this is and how to solve this issue ?

If You're trying to make it work in the VirtualBox, then skip the entire xorg configuration .... if You've already done that, then delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Don't forget to run delisetup as USER to setup the WM ...

then simple startx or running the icewm from slim should work without problems... if not, then please let me know ... that might be a VBox version specific issue ...
12-30-2011, 09:47 PM
okay, I try this and report the results
12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Thx, tavvva // it is running now, but with a wrong keyboard layout.
However, I will use it for testing only, so it is not really important.
I write this with skipstone....
but the controling of the mouse and the fonts siyes are not really funny to work with ...... Big Grin