Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[discussion] Using bigger programs and Delicate.
11-26-2011, 11:56 AM
[discussion] Using bigger programs and Delicate.
Food for thought.

Sometimes I compile packages or making PKGBUILDs that are a bit high end, so I guess it's not recommended for normal use. Perhaps it's a good idea to publish a list of programs that runs with Delicate but need more ram or faster processor.
A good example is the GIMP (the PKGBUILD is in another forum section). It's a great program, but on 'old' computers it's sometimes pretty useless.
But when your computer has the hardware for it, I guess it's nice to try to get some things working with Delicate instead of another big distro.
At the end Delicate can do the same job on an older machine with no big speed difference than the same program on a newer machine with a big (bloated) distro. At least that's my experience and my excuse to use Delicate on a P3

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2011, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2011 01:53 PM by tavvva.)
RE: [discussion] Using bigger programs and Delicate.
Hello Theo.

I was thinking about creation of second repository containing just the favorite bloated apps. But then I told to myself, that it's probably easier to put them in the main repo and just mention their requirements in the forum. I have no problems with bloated apps, but they shouldn't push the lightweight apps away -> they should stay in the distro as optional components only.
11-26-2011, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2011 11:49 PM by nl2stk.)
RE: [discussion] Using bigger programs and Delicate.
(11-26-2011 01:48 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I have no problems with bloated apps, but they shouldn't push the lightweight apps away -> they should stay in the distro as optional components only.

That's the way to go. Most distro's included *standard* a lot of heavy-weight stuff. And I know that not all users are too happy about it, at least from what I see in forums.

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae