Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Microsoft USB Mouse
10-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Microsoft USB Mouse
I've mention a couple of days ago that I've informed the Dutch Ubuntu forum about Delicate, and a couple of users are testing and running it.
One of them is testing it on a P4 with one 1 GB ram with a nvidia geforce fx 5200 and he has a problem, he can't get his mouse working. It's a Microsoft USB mouse, and he has tried the 'Auto' and 'Microsoft' settings. Is there another setting he can try?

Hardware in use: Compaq PIII- 1GHZ, Geforce 4000, 256mb, 80gb HD
Dutch Delicate Linux information: http://www.delicatelinux.nl.ae
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2011, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 09:03 PM by tavvva.)
RE: Microsoft USB Mouse
(10-31-2011 11:32 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  Is there another setting he can try?

I guess he has no USB modules loaded and therefore his USB controller doesn't work.

The following two modules are needed for HID devices in case of UHCI controller:
uhci
hid

The following two modules are needed for HID devices in case of OHCI controller:
usb-ohci
hid

The controler type can be seen in the lspci output.
Modules can be temporarily loaded from the root account by calling modprobe usb-ohci or different module ...

Then the default input device /dev/input/mice should be configured in the xorg setup
and then it finally has any sense to play with the protocol :]

If that works, then the modules need to be defined in the rc.modules like /sbin/modprobe uhci, etc.

If that still doesn't work for him, I would need output of the following two commands:

lspci

and

lsmod

-------------------------

The whole thing should be automated by the scripts one day .... the hardware detection is unfortunately still missing Undecided
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply