Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GUI libraries
09-23-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: GUI libraries
(09-22-2013 10:44 AM)tavvva Wrote:  ... this is very probably caused by bugs in the applications.

In the cases I mentioned the bugs were in the GUI toolkits. wxWidgets even says that it doesn't provide complete support for certain platforms like X (without Gtk).

(09-22-2013 10:44 AM)tavvva Wrote:  It always depends on the upstream members and their mood. Vanity and ego plays a major role here and I must admit it's sometimes pretty difficult to convince them. If you make someone angry, it usually leads to his unwillingness to cooperate in the future, so ... one must be very cautious when communicating.

Something similar could be said for projects that are asking for volunteers. If they ask for help but aren't nice about it, people won't feel like freely giving their efforts to the project. This becomes a detriment to Open Source efforts.

(09-22-2013 10:44 AM)tavvva Wrote:  Flexible projects use autotools to stay compatible with different versions of the libraries even if they change the interface.

There are other techniques besides autotools. Also, a tool is usually only as good as the person using it. I've tried several projects that use autotools and they just fail to work properly for certain platforms.

(09-22-2013 10:44 AM)tavvva Wrote:  If the application/library works like expected, then there's no reason for changes.

If you need an application to perform a certain function, you can write it from scratch or start with an Open Source code base and modify it to meet your needs. Supposedly, code reuse is encouraged in the Open Source community. Plus, the original project might be able to make use of some of those modifications. I find myself making patches and changes to the majority of applications I use in order to use them effectively to get specific job dones. Working as expected and doing the job you need done in an efficient manner are typically two completely different things.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
GUI libraries - lmemsm - 09-19-2013, 06:54 PM
RE: GUI libraries - tavvva - 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM
RE: GUI libraries - lmemsm - 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM
RE: GUI libraries - tavvva - 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM
RE: GUI libraries - lmemsm - 09-23-2013 12:53 PM