Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
old pentium
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
RE: old pentium
(04-06-2013 08:33 PM)lucinos Wrote:  I do not see how KernelEx has to do anything with my case, 98 is already too slow, why I would want to run XP applications on top of that?

If 98 is too slow, it probably won't be that helpful. There are several ways to speed up Windows systems. If one or more of those techniques works, then 98 with KernelEx might be a viable option. Was also thinking, you might find a similar project or something from the project might work with Windows 95.

(04-06-2013 08:33 PM)lucinos Wrote:  DOS is the most lightweight OS I know that has quite a lot software although old.

Running a Linux or BSD system from the command line or via framebuffer can have comparable speeds to running DOS if you're careful about program choices. DOS does boot faster than the Linux and BSD systems though. I did find myself rebooting much more often with DOS than other systems, because I kept needing to change drivers and memory managers to run different applications.

(04-06-2013 08:33 PM)lucinos Wrote:  Thank you about FXDOS, I did not know about it. It is really strange that FreeDOS is keeping LiveCD secret. The even funnier is that I just saw that now they have again the 1.0 edition on because of "popular demand" (I suspect that the popular demand was about the nice LiveCD option) but with no LiveCD option!

The FreeDOS installation disks aren't usually up-to-date with the latest drivers, memory managers, etc. You usually have to download the latest separately and update your system. XFDOS is not a project of the FreeDOS group. It's put together from FreeDOS by the developer of DOSUSB (one of the few USB drivers for DOS).

I should mention that there have been some threads on some of the DOS forums about the possiblities of developers eliminating DOS support for gcc and some of the GNU tools like automake.

(04-06-2013 08:33 PM)lucinos Wrote:  I have already rejected all linux distributions with the exception of delicate, so do not tell be about other distributions unless you have a really good point about them.

The reason for the rejection of all other systems is what exactly? If you've already decided on Delicate, then by all means go with that. It's a very good choice.

(04-06-2013 08:33 PM)lucinos Wrote:  Last year that I searched about various OSes almost all of them had 64 MB RAM or more minimum requirement for liveCD.
So you're looking for a live CD, not a distribution for your hard drive? That's an important distinction to clarify as it really changes the options available to you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
old pentium - lucinos - 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
RE: old pentium - Tom - 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
RE: old pentium - tavvva - 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: old pentium - lmemsm - 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM
RE: old pentium - lucinos - 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
RE: old pentium - lmemsm - 04-08-2013 02:58 PM
RE: old pentium - lucinos - 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM