Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[beginners/tip] MealMaster files
05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
RE: [beginners/tip] MealMaster files
(05-29-2012 10:02 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I could imagine that only as a PHP or CGI application running on a web server ... even locally .... but that's a bit overkill ...

But I'm interrested in the result of your investigation ... maybe some way really exists.

Worst case scenario, I find a web browser that builds cross-platform and take the code that sends forms to a server and if the web page is local instead send it to a file. That way other applications can read the results (similar to dialog). If a web browser has XMLHttpRequest support in Javascript, it's fairly simply to read in a text or XML file. At least it was, Chrome and Opera are now adding extra security that causes issues when working with local files (even just reading them). Latest versions of Chrome make it hard to test web pages locally before loading them to a site. Firefox had a plug-in that acted as a web server within Firefox itself. (No external web server necessary.) I also looked at writing a plug-in, but the interface looks pretty complicated and it's quickly outdated by new versions. Didn't think it would be worth the effort if the next version renders it useless. I'd rather find something that's already out there (faster than writing the entire thing from scratch) and has most of the functionality I need. Then I can take it apart, remove anything I don't need and add the parts to interact with other applications or whatever else is missing. If I can find a browser with decent CSS and Javascript support, it could make a really good, highly customizable user interface. (Nice for internationalization too, because you just switch out the web page to display the language needed.) Customizing the look of applications using it would be as easy as changing a CSS file. If I just find a browser with decent form support, it will at least make a decent replacement for dialog. Still looking at what's out there to try to determine which browser(s) to use as a starting point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[beginners/tip] MealMaster files - nl2stk - 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
RE: [beginners/tip] MealMaster files - lmemsm - 05-30-2012 12:58 PM