DeLi(cate) Forum
Show your desktop - Printable Version

+- DeLi(cate) Forum (http://delicate-linux.net/forum)
+-- Forum: DeLi(cate) Linux [english only] (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Other (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Show your desktop (/showthread.php?tid=89)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Show your desktop - nl2stk - 01-04-2012 05:42 PM

Back on IceWM again with lot's of Faenza Dark blue stuff in it. Which is a version of the populair icon-set. Some of them are converted to .xpm (for the icewm panel). The rest is changed so rox (the orignal structure is GNOME-based) is using it. Only a few icons needs to be converted to .svg, if that is done the bar in rox-filer can be changed too. This is how it looks so far....

[Image: 71a4ae167992301.jpg]

RE: Show your desktop - tavvva - 01-04-2012 06:15 PM

really good Smile

RE: Show your desktop - nl2stk - 01-04-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks, I rhink I've spent my time well. I believe it was wiser to drop the JWM desktop. JWM works great, but it's (as is) not something for the regular user. There is only one file that needs to be edited and it's the configuration for all kind of stuff. So one mistake and your desktop can be a screen full of rubish. Other distros are using a 'hacked' JWM, those are using multiple files instead of one file, which is in my opinion a lot safer.

RE: Show your desktop - nl2stk - 02-04-2012 03:42 PM

Sidebars like in Gnome 3 or Unity with shiny cellphone buttons are populair (don't ask me why). New? Only for higher end machines? No way, this is what I've made in just a few minutes, and when you've got the time you can make it better. What it is? Fluxbox with Rox, the panel on the leftside is from Rox too.
Only the icons and gtk scheme is downloaded somewhere else..

[Image: 85d25d173134427.jpg]

RE: Show your desktop - tavvva - 02-04-2012 07:40 PM

Big Grin Geeeze Big Grin It seem the new logo is well compatible with tuxes.

Is the tux image free? Can it be redistributed without permission?

RE: Show your desktop - nl2stk - 02-04-2012 10:30 PM

I honestly don't know, I found the image on a kind of hobby-page I guess. No mail adress or copyright things, only a lot of Tux pictures. I assume that it is GPL, I've never seen someone who claims copyrights on Tux pictures.

The site where I found it is: http://izaak.jellinek.com/tuxes/
And the filename that I used is: 3229-82807.png (it helps with searching)

RE: Show your desktop - tavvva - 02-05-2012 11:06 AM

(02-04-2012 10:30 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I assume that it is GPL, I've never seen someone who claims copyrights on Tux pictures.

Sorry, no assumptions!
Copyright infringement is something what could bring serious troubles to our project!
I know it's sometimes difficult to search for the license, but it's really important.
If the license is unknown, then we simply can't use it. It's questionable if that could be considered a fair use and one can never be sure even if this is a non-profit distribution. So, we should avoid all stuff with unknown or unsuitable license.

And .... we should be extremely careful. Some developers could potentially convert non-free stuff to free one! Imagine cases when somebody takes non-free stuff and than says it's GPL licensed. If you don't know the stuff well, then you have no chance to discover such dangerous license conversion. And according to the law only target distributors are responsible for that (that means we!).

You can use the following page (section 8 - Software License List) for orientation in the licensing world :
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main

(02-04-2012 10:30 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  The site where I found it is: http://izaak.jellinek.com/tuxes/
And the filename that I used is: 3229-82807.png (it helps with searching)

The page footer says:
All images are copyright their respective owners.

So ... that doesn't sound like a GPL ... we would have to search for the image origin to confirm that.

RE: Show your desktop - nl2stk - 02-05-2012 01:17 PM

(02-05-2012 11:06 AM)tavvva Wrote:  Sorry, no assumptions!

I know, in case of doubt just don't do it, I know..
I *think* that the site is from a collector, so I'll try to find the original maker.

tavvva Wrote:The page footer says:
All images are copyright their respective owners.

So ... that doesn't sound like a GPL ... we would have to search for the image origin to confirm that.

Sorry, I didn't see that one (stupid I).
But there are a lot of Tux pictures who are free to use, so I hope that this one is free too..

RE: Show your desktop - tavvva - 02-06-2012 04:07 PM

(02-05-2012 01:17 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  But there are a lot of Tux pictures who are free to use, so I hope that this one is free too..

The word "free" is very tricky!
There could be something like .... "it's free for personal/non-commercial use" ... but when You read more, there's often some clause like "can't be redistributed without author's permission" ... and that means it actually isn't free!

Free software isn't the same like Freeware ... Unfortunately I often forget about that and use the second form instead of the first one ...

RE: Show your desktop - nl2stk - 02-07-2012 12:15 AM

I meant really free from rights, not with such conditions...
But one thing makes me wonder, are all the 'tux' pictures legal?
Here is a quote from Larry Ewing (the one that created the original tux) about the rights:

"Permission to use and/or modify this image is granted provided you acknowledge me lewing@isc.tamu.edu and The GIMP if someone asks"

I guess he must have a spindle or 2 burned with tux pictures if he collects them Smile

But I can't find the Tux picture on another site, and you wouldn't know how many penguins If seen the last days. But I found 2 word documents (it's like swearing in a church), about 'How to make a Tux with GIMP'. Abiword can't open the second doc, so I'll give it a shot with OpenOffice. Perhaps I can make a 'blue-ish' Tux myself, in that case I don't have to worry about rights.